Home
Been making my late aunt's, great-grandmother's cranberry sauce for years decades. Until recently I would just poor it into a nice bowl to set and serve. Then my cousin revealed it was always served after formed in a gelatin mold. This commenced a multiple store hunt for said mold, to no avail.

Then I went to the hardware store that has a bunch of housewares tucked away in the back that time forgot, which I learned was a rich source for the non-preppy-artsy-fartsy, Chinese-made, kitchen utensils found through the internet and malls.

It paid off, though the mold doesn't have fancy flutes or anything, it will get the job done. Also scored a later version of a colander I got from my late mother's kitchen, that hasn't been locally available for years, though could probably pay too much for one on ebay. Got two sizes, last ones they had. The smaller one is remarkably similar to Ma's, which is now missing both handles and two of the three feet, fifty years old, if a day.
Awesome finds! I love finding those little nuggets like that. Probably goes a long way toward explaining my reverence for Griswold cast iron. smile
I have, and use, a lot of 'old fashioned' kitchen gadgets.
"Old fashioned" doesn't mean old. It means good. smile
Got a pic of the mold? Is it cylindrical or another shape?

I just use a small bowl for the mold. wink
It's a fairly plain donut shape. I'd like to get something a little fancier, but this will do for any number of uses, mousse, etc...
© 24hourcampfire