Home
Posted By: AggieDog Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/18/15
One of my co workers from Louisiana gave me his recipe he uses when he cooks a "Large Batch" (60 Qts) of Gumbo for customers, etc. What you dont eat, freeze in ziplock bags and it only gets better. smile

Chicken-Sausage Gumbo
Makes 60 quarts!
Ingredients:
7 chickens – broilers
14 Lbs of Sausage (Andouille or Smoked, or?)
168 oz of season Blend
278 oz of Okra
5 Pints of Roux
4 ozs of garlic powdered
.25 oz of File (fee lay)
Seasoning: Tony’s Konriko-Old Bay- Garlic powder-onion powder-File (Fee Lay)
Parsley flaked
Preparation:
1. Boil the Chickens for 80 minutes, take out, let cool, then de-bone.
2. Use the water you boil the chickens in as the stock.
3. Add Roux to boiling stock, totally dissolve.
4. Add Okra, cook for 45 minutes.
5. Add Season Blend and Sausage, and cook for another 1.5 hours on low heat.
6. Add Chickens, seasoning, and cook for another Hour on low Heat.
7. Lightly sprinkle parsley flakes on top 5 minutes before cutting off fire.
8. Turn off fire and let sit for awhile.

Le Ze Le Bon Temp Roule!! grin

Posted By: Wyogal Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/18/15
This is my Christmas Eve meal. My recipe is almost identical, and yes, from a Lake Pontchartrain old timer. I add oysters.
La Bouche Creole!
Aggiedog's above recipe is the real deal.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/18/15
Dangerous territory. I have the 60 quart pot as well as the chicken. On Monday I'll have the sausage ! grin
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/18/15
I dont, but I am jealous! I'm going to do this between Christmas and New Years. I love Cajon food.

I will probably do about 3 gals.

Posted By: AggieDog Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by Wyogal
This is my Christmas Eve meal. My recipe is almost identical, and yes, from a Lake Pontchartrain old timer. I add oysters.
La Bouche Creole!
Aggiedog's above recipe is the real deal.

THank you! have a great Christmas!!!!
Has anyone taken the time to cut this down to a reasonable scale? Say 2 chickens?
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/19/15
I was hoping one of you would do that, LOL!! Funny stuff!ESP because I sure was hoping the same.
I'll take a stab at it, someone can clean it up if I goofed anywhere:

6-8 Qts of Chicken - Sausage Gumbo

1-2 whole broiler chickens
1 1/2 lbs Sausage
17-22 ozs of Seasoning blend
30 ozs of Okra

10-12 fl ozs of Roux (little over 1/2 pt)
1/2 oz garlic powder or more
Add File to taste at end
Season to taste
Parsley flaked

Preparation:
1. Boil the Chicken(s) for 80 minutes, take out, let cool, then de-bone.
2. Use the water you boil the chickens in as the stock.
3. Add Roux to boiling stock, totally dissolve.
4. Add Okra, cook for 45 minutes.
5. Add Season Blend and Sausage, and cook for another 1.5 hours on low heat.
6. Add Chicken(s), seasoning, and cook for another Hour on low Heat.
7. Lightly sprinkle parsley flakes on top 5 minutes before cutting off fire.
8. Turn off fire and let sit for awhile.

I accept help!!!
Aggie, couple questions, if you don't mind.

What exactly is the seasoning mix?
Do you use store bought Roux or make your own? (Not shaming on you, if you buy it. IF you buy, where do you buy?)
Please enlighten this dumb Floridian on File (Fee Lay). ??

Thanks
you can make or purchase your Roux, I would suggest a darker Roux for gumbo.

On his seasonings, he is talking about
Tony Chachere's Konriko Seasoning,
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Parsley flakes (chopped fresh, or dried if you don't have fresh)
File (pronounced Fee Lay) is a seasoning popular sprinkled on your bowl of Gumbo to your taste, it is ground sassafras leaves.

He stumped me on Old Bay, Im only aware of their fish boil seasoning, maybe someone else can chime in.

Your brand of Konriko seasoning is really your choice.

To purchase cajun seasonings, go here:
https://www.cajungrocer.com/konriko-creole-seasoning.html
I have used Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning for years. Is that it?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/19/15
This is good stuff. Will work well with the above recipe.

[Linked Image]
That looks real good!

Tony C makes his Creole seasoning and others, also the Konriko seasoning. Use anyones Konriko seasoning, its your taste.

Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/19/15
Yes it is. I originally bought to try my hand at making Yaka Mein, a New Orleans soup indigenous to the area. Goes well on many dishes where a little zing is wanted.

Ok, thanks fellas. I'll have to check and see what we have available here. I'm pretty sure I can find it. If not, I'll order some. Heck, BassPro even sells Tony's. smile
By an act of kindness from one of my neighborhood Publix stock boys, I finally found the File seasoning. They had gotten it in on a special order that someone abandoned. The young fella chased me down to give it to me after we'd both looked all over the store for it. I had searched high and low for it around town, but couldn't find it anywhere. It's from Zatarains and ground and I'm guessing it'll get the job done.

Just have to thaw out some chicken and I'm GTG. Looking like gumbo over the holidays at Casa Greg. smile
Posted By: mathman Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/21/15
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Do you use store bought Roux or make your own? (Not shaming on you, if you buy it. IF you buy, where do you buy?)

Thanks

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/21/15
I feel bad Dave. After all your help and ordering the tasso, andouille, gumbo file and rice from Teet's, I've still not made a batch. Dad's health problems continue to keep us busy along with life in general. I'll surprise you with a post one of these days! I just want to have a group of people that can enjoy it.
Originally Posted by mathman

Thanks

[Linked Image]

That makes sense. I was looking at the recipe thinking WTF? No onion or peppers?
Funny, my Great Aunt Emma used to say "all good recipes start with, peel an onion". I think you knew her.
Posted By: mathman Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/22/15
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I feel bad Dave. After all your help and ordering the tasso, andouille, gumbo file and rice from Teet's, I've still not made a batch. Dad's health problems continue to keep us busy along with life in general. I'll surprise you with a post one of these days! I just want to have a group of people that can enjoy it.

Don't worry about me waiting. Trust me, I have experience with having a parent in ill health and the demands of handling the situation.

I hope things get better for your Dad.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Funny, my Great Aunt Emma used to say "all good recipes start with, peel an onion". I think you knew her.

I sure do miss grams.

Every fall when we came up, she would make a big pot of "vittles". Loved it. Can still smell and taste it.

She'd get me a quart of apple butter for Christmas each year.

Your mom made some outstanding meals as well! I still remember a caribou roast she did! It might be the single best wild game roast I've ever had.

Merry Christmas to you and all the family!

PM me your address if you would, please.

Is apple butter available in your area?
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/23/15
Thanks for the help on the seasoning, my friend took off for the holidays before I could get that out of him!
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/24/15
This looks interesting, but, Am I missing something here? No trinity.
I Make mine with the onion, pepper and celery going into the cajun napalm (roux) to shut down the heat when it goes dark. The smell from that alone is worth the time to make this.
When I took some time to research gumbo I found that no two are the same and home recipes are all a little difereent from each other.
Pict sweet seasoning blend pictured above.
Making the gumbo now. Tell you what, those internet chefs that say you can get the Roux chocolate brown in 20 mins are fulla crap, if you ask me. I spent at least 40 mins getting it to exactly chocolate brown, maybe longer.

Looking like it's gonna be pretty gooooood.
Hah!

Agreed. After 20 is when you start getting impatient and wanting to crank up the heat!
Posted By: mathman Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/27/15
There's a way around all the aggravation. grin
Posted By: kingston Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/27/15
It's all about the Roux. My wife makes a killer duck, goose, and sausage gumbo!
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/27/15
I'm splurging and doing a couple of prime ribs on the Rec Tec Pellet grill. I pull when the internal temp is 130 and wrap it in foil and let it sit for 30 min, carve, and serve with fresh horseradish.

Your Gumbo will be awesome I bet.! I actually wish I were having that tonight.
AggieDog, thanks. Gumbo came out pretty good for my first time making it. The Roux was a bit of a challenge as I was trying to apply my risotto technique to making the Roux. Once I stepped back and let it cook a little, the chocolate color came easier and it was downhill from there. smile

I upsized the batch a bit and about a lb of 16/20 shrimp fell out of the freezer into it, too. smile
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/28/15
Excellent! Im going to make some New Year's Eve.

Second night. Forgot to take pics first night.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: AggieDog Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/29/15
Looks great!
Making the gumbo now. Tell you what, those internet chefs that say you can get the Roux chocolate brown in 20 mins are fulla crap, if you ask me. I spent at least 40 mins getting it to exactly chocolate brown, maybe longer.

Looking like it's gonna be pretty gooooood.

Local Dirt and I ran around the Lauderdale area yesterday. Visited several gun/pawn shops, Bass Pro, ate lunch at Land Crab Tavern. Greg gave me a large container of his gumbo, when I was heading back to Miami.
I served it for dinner tonight, along with a Caesar salad. Wife said it was the best Gumbo she has ever had. I KNOW she meant it was the best Gumbo that I did not make. smile

A cousin of mine runs the Mathern's grocery in Baton Rouge. He keeps me in File powder and Tasso.
Posted By: sse Re: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - 12/30/15
Originally Posted by mathman
There's a way around all the aggravation. grin

10-12 fl ozs of Roux (little over 1/2 pt)

throw in a tub of oleo
Second night. Forgot to take pics first night.

[Linked Image]

this looks really good
as far as the seasoning, I use Emeril's recipe, which I make and keep on hand, it's a good fit
Sam, too funny. Tell Elvie I said Hello and I owe her a bigger container next time. Great hanging out with you yesterday, buddy. Enjoy your upcoming hunts! Wish I could go, but gotta work. Not for much longer. smile
sse, I'm a big Emeril fan, too. smile

Bam!
© 24hourcampfire