Home
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Mine have changed over time, nowadays they are Spanish style olives, whole raw almonds, Riopelle Triple Cream Cheese from Quebec, a local made Pepper jelly, and avocados.

I could literally live off of these items and they are very hard to keep in the house as I am a weak woman in this respect.

I am having a hard time finding equals to a few of these items while I am away over here from home, but will certainly make up for it.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Bacon ...
Posted By: rem141r Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
pizza. i can eat it almost every day
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Hamburgers.. made at home.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Philly cheesesteak from Pat's or Gino's when I'm in the area.It's not a pretty sight.

Thrasher's French fries in Ocean City, Md. It's not a pretty sight.

Spamoni ice cream during the rare times it's available. It's not a pretty sight.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Grits
Posted By: byc Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Grits

shocker!

You belong in the South brother!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Originally Posted by rem141r
pizza. i can eat it almost every day

No kidding. Like sex, there is no bad pizza just pizza that is better than others. grin
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Hamburgers.. made at home.

My youngest daughter too ! grin
I forgot Eccles cakes and a cuppa, both of which I am enjoying right now, because I can't sleep, and the person I need to talk to to help me sleep is probably asleep already, and besides I deserve it smile
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Right now sushi and sashimi.
Originally Posted by byc
Grits

shocker!

You belong in the South brother!

I second that ! grin
Posted By: tallen702 Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Tudor's Biscuit World

If you ever find yourself in an area of WV or eastern OH that has one, do yourself a favor and stop. They are absolute crack.

There's a reason why WV is the most obese state in the union.

All WV expats must make the journey home at least once a year to have one or they will surely die of withdrawal.
Originally Posted by tallen702
Tudor's Biscuit World

If you ever find yourself in an area of WV or eastern OH that has one, do yourself a favor and stop. They are absolute crack.

There's a reason why WV is the most obese state in the union.

All WV expats must make the journey home at least once a year to have one or they will surely die of withdrawal.

OMG ! shocked
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
http://tudorsbiscuitworld.com/Menu/Breakfast.aspx

I'd have to turn off the still an' saddle up the mule but there's one right up the road in Buckhannon. Looks good.Wife is kinda stuck on her pancakes from the Huddle House tho'.

I'll give it a try. What's your recommendation ?
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Grits

You've got to be scchitting me?

Mike
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Double meat cheeseburgers from Whataburger and any kind of chocolate
Posted By: EdM Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Proper carnitas. Tomorrows dinner actually.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Your food downfall - 01/14/16
Any kind of meat. Then cheese. Grapes, apples, salad, carrots, no matter the healthier choice, if I open the fridge and see any kind of cold meats, it's on.
Posted By: tallen702 Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
http://tudorsbiscuitworld.com/Menu/Breakfast.aspx

I'd have to turn off the still an' saddle up the mule but there's one right up the road in Buckhannon. Looks good.Wife is kinda stuck on her pancakes from the Huddle House tho'.

I'll give it a try. What's your recommendation ?

Pretty much anything. The wife likes the Dottie (Potato, Egg, and Cheese) my dad likes the Mickey (Canadian Bacon, Egg, and Cheese) and my buddy is particularly partial to the Thundering Herd (Sausage, Potato, Egg, and Cheese). Most expats I know crave a Peppi (Pepperoni & Cheese) but that's not the one I'd go with for my first Tudor's experience.

Me personally, I like their biscuits and gravy. You often have to hit it with just a little salt for my taste, but it doesn't take much. Alternatively, I'll go with a classic sausage biscuit but add butter and sliced cheese to it. You really can't go wrong, it's the biscuits that make the meal. They've got crisp crusts followed by a slightly chewy mid-section and then are as fluffy as clouds on the inside.

Now the caveat here is that biscuits do depend somewhat on who is making them, so each Tudor's location is just slightly different since they're making the biscuits from scratch and aren't just baking frozen dough. So the biscuit you get in Buckhannon might not be the same as one you get down in Charleston, but I've never had a bad Tudor's experience.

Ian Chillag who is one of the producers of NPR's "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me" is from WV originally and he did an article about them on the show's blog a long time back. It's a funny read and just goes to highlight how important Tudor's is to all West-by-God-Virginians.

Link

P.S. you can never have too much gravy, so if you go with a biscuit sandwich, get a side of home fries with gravy.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Without a doubt, Good Pizza! Shellfish rate a close second.
With good breads falling right behind that.
Here is another excellent 'Biscuit maker', they bring their biscuit truck all the way out here to the mountains of Floyd/Patrick counties for FloydFest every summer.

http://ozarkmountainbiscuits.com/
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16

P.S. you can never have too much gravy.

Absolutely, and it should be served in a large cup.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16

Me personally, I like their biscuits and gravy.
Now the caveat here is that biscuits do depend somewhat on who is making them, so each Tudor's location is just slightly different since they're making the biscuits from scratch and aren't just baking frozen dough. So the biscuit you get in Buckhannon might not be the same as one you get down in Charleston, but I've never had a bad Tudor's experience.

Agree 100% as when they first came to "town" there were some pretty lively discussions up on the mountain about the taste, texture and overall experience of their B&G.I think the general consensus is that TBW deserves a 7 on the satisfaction scale 'cause as we all know "momma does it best". cool

Looking forward to a great meal next time I'm in Buckhannon.Pretty hard to drag me out of the hills tho'
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

P.S. you can never have too much gravy.

Absolutely, and it should be served in a large cup.

Actually it should be served on top for soppin' and moppin'.

Cups on the side are for pinky extended city folks.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Mine is simple: Seconds.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Uncomplicated, I like that ! grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Biscotti with coffee....
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Properly prepared German schnitzel and GOOD German potato salad. And pretty much anything made with white chocolate...
Posted By: tallen702 Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Looking forward to a great meal next time I'm in Buckhannon.Pretty hard to drag me out of the hills tho'

I can't blame you! I'd make the two-hour round-trip run to Elkins about once every two weeks when I lived up at snowshoe, and that was simply because there wasn't a real grocery store nearby and man can only live off of what can be found at a glorified mini-mart for so long. The rest of the time, I hunkered down in the log home I rented with a couple of co-workers and skied all winter and hiked and shot off the front porch all summer. Mind you, there was a 3 month period one year when I was pretty sweet on a girl I knew from high school who was attending Wesleyan so I made my way over to Buckhannon more than a few times in that period. I think that was also the closest Subaru dealership too, so I'd head that way for service.

That said, when you do go to town, if you need a snack post-Tudor's, you can't really go wrong with some deep fried mac & cheese bites from Sheetz so long as there's a side of buffalo dipping sauce with them. Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.
A Friend's daughter recently received her masters from Wesleyan.

Sheetz ??? I'm guilty of "building" a sub off their touchscreen from time to time. grin If I close my eyes tight enough I'm in Philly with my BIL smelling the smells. cool

You're right about the grocery store. Gotta make it a day trip.

Maybe this week for TBW
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Sweets. Doughnuts, coffee creamer, sushi.
Posted By: EdM Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
Biscotti with coffee....

Tom,

My wife will welcome you. We spent last summer in Idaho and our youngest son, Tony, made crazy goo biscotti. I'll try and get him to have some ready when you arrive.
Posted By: JBARTRAM Re: Your food downfall - 01/15/16
greasy pizza and Bud in bottle(s) .....it's like a hug from God when I'm weary.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Your food downfall - 01/16/16
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Grits

You've got to be scchitting me?

Mike
prison food IMO ...along with fryed baloney...
Posted By: byc Re: Your food downfall - 01/16/16
okay hold on now little piggie....fryed boloneeee on whyte bunny bread and frenchie's yellow rocks!!

You trying to save yo' kin??!!
Posted By: Squirrelnut Re: Your food downfall - 01/16/16
Peanuts and fried eggs with grits, I love to mix the runny egg yolk into my grits.
Posted By: Pirate Re: Your food downfall - 01/17/16
BBQ. 'nough said.
Posted By: Otter Re: Your food downfall - 01/19/16
My biggest downfall is just about any kind of crispy, salty, snacky chip . . . makes no difference if it is potato or corn for me. I can easily stay away from most sweets, including cookies, cakes and pies; A good Danish is another story. BUT I really have a hard time staying away from kettle cooked potato chips, regardless of whether they are "plain" or some flavored variety - which is why I/we seldom buy them any more, if they are in the house, I WILL eat them.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Your food downfall - 01/19/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
Biscotti with coffee....

Didn't you just post on the "you're a man, right" thread ?

whistle
Posted By: EdM Re: Your food downfall - 01/20/16
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Interestingly enough that is the one thing I do not do. Really pizzes off my wife.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Your food downfall - 01/21/16
Had some Quail eggs at a local Irish Pub a few days ago that were out of this world!

They were boiled then rolled in a batter wrapping, deep fried, and served with a stone ground mustard/honey sauce.

Yum, Yum!!

Virgil B.
Posted By: tallen702 Re: Your food downfall - 01/21/16
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Had some Quail eggs at a local Irish Pub a few days ago that were out of this world!

They were boiled then rolled in a batter wrapping, deep fried, and served with a stone ground mustard/honey sauce.

Yum, Yum!!

Virgil B.

If you liked those, try "scotch eggs" which are wrapped in sausage, breaded, and deep fried. It's a complete breakfast one-handed!
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Your food downfall - 01/22/16
tallen;

That sounds GREAT!

Got to give these a try!

Virgil B.
© 24hourcampfire