Home
Posted By: wabigoon Cole slaw - 02/06/16
I whip up my recipe now, and then.

The slaw goes so well with so many main dishes, any recipes you use?
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
I really like a lime, jalapeño, and cilantro, based one. Use mayo and sour cream for the base. Works great with fish and pork tacos.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
I like sweet Cole slaw.

The KFC knock off recipe is pretty good.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
*Hand grated fresh cabbage, *hand grated fresh carrot, mayo, white sugar, celery salt, pepper, and a pinch of table salt. Combine, let sit in fridge for about 30 minutes, eat.

*I DETEST prepackaged slaw mixes.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
I like 'em all but given a choice I'd rather have a vinegar-base slaw than a mayo one. Had a slaw once at somebody's backyard BBQ that would roll your eyes back it was so good. I wheedled and begged and finally got him to divulge his secret: instead of vinegar he used kosher dill pickle juice.

Sublime.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
Too funny. That's my secret ingredient for homemade tartar sauce. Old girlfriend who is a true cracker taught me that one.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
I agree.

I do like sour ( vinegar) with bbq and a good mess of baked beans.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
Here'e mine.

10 cups chopped shredded red and green cabbage.
¼ cup grated carrot
2 cups Duke’s Mayo
1/2 cup sugar
2 T prepared horseradish (I actually use a little more in mine)
1 T dry mustard
1 T white pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. celery seeds

Toss the cabbage and carrot in a bowl.
Mix mayo, sugar, horseradish, dry mustard, white pepper, salt, garlic power and celery seeds in a bowl. Add to the cabbage mixture and mix well. Chill covered, until serving time.

Mike
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
And here's one from Darryl (duxndawgs) that is also very good if you're a blue cheese lover.
Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

5 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup Duke's mayo
1/4 cup butter milk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (split 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Combine cabbage in large bowl. In a food processor or blender combine mayo, butter milk, garlic, 1/2 cup blue cheese, Dijon, pinch of salt and pepper. Process until smooth, pour over cabbage, add remaining blue cheese, toss to coat/mix. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, cover and chill for 3-4 hours.

Mike
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
Don't like sweet slaw.
Shredded cabbage and carrots. For the dressing, Best Foods Mayo, wine vinegar, salt, pepper and a little garlic powder.
Posted By: AKBunny Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
If I am having it with seafood, I'll throw in a little Old Bay!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
I use the recipe ScottF posted several years ago from his wife.

I add a tablespoon of prepared horseradish.
Posted By: byc Re: Cole slaw - 02/06/16
Hot Pepper Slaw for sure.

I no longer use mayo or any dairy products.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cole slaw - 02/07/16
I like an apple diced small in mine. I also put them in a salad when I make one. Wife does not agree. miles
Posted By: Dale K Re: Cole slaw - 02/14/16
I made some for a Pot Luck dinner right before Christmas, got several compliments on it. I made it up the night before.

1 red pepper-seeded and chopped
1 green pepper-seeded and chopped
1 head cabbage, slice thin and then chopped (but not too fine)
1 Bottle of Marzetti's Sweet and Sour Salad dressing, add as needed.
Salt and WHITE pepper to taste

Dale

(OK, I admit, I stole the recipe from my Mom)

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cole slaw - 02/14/16
There are many excellent ways to make cole slaw. There is one sure way to absolutely ruin all of them - that is to run the cabbage through a food processor.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cole slaw - 02/14/16
John, should we ever make, "That" fishing trip, I'll turn you lose with the cabbage, knife, and cutting board.

How bad could it be?!
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Cole slaw - 02/14/16
Amen brother! My grandmother was a farm wife and an excellent cook, but God rest her soul, you could drink her coleslaw through a straw. The taste of the dressing was good, but the texture was nasty. She never owned a food processor she just shredded the cabbage and then chopped it into mush.

Mike
Posted By: LouisB Re: Cole slaw - 02/14/16
My wife's Aunt used to make the best Coleslaw I have ever eaten.
We have the recipe, but our attempts have been ordinary at best.
Posted By: sse Re: Cole slaw - 02/15/16
I got a cole slaw from here many years ago, after some tweaking, people seem to love it. Not too sweet, not too creamy.

To 1 lb shredded cabbage, 3/4 cup of mayo, 1 Tbs sugar, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp horseradish, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp celery seeds, 1 1/2 Tbs cider vinegar.

You will notice quantities are fractions of the next measure up, which is because if you round up, you don't end up with the same result, but a version that many have already voiced they do not prefer, me either, so I fixed it.

This is usually made for 100 people or more, and it is much easier to get the right flavors in quantity.
Posted By: Bugout4x4 Re: Cole slaw - 02/15/16
Try making it with Miracle Whip or Blue Cheese Dressing instead of Mayo.

I no longer use Mayo in Cold Slaw, these are better in fresh Pea Salads too. smile
fresh Pea Salads

Would love to have a recipe for a good one of these...
Originally Posted by sse
fresh Pea Salads

Would love to have a recipe for a good one of these...

I have found simple is best for this. I just thaw some Frozen Peas in Water, Drain and add just enough Miracle Whip or Blue Cheese to coat well. Then add a little Black Pepper, Garlic Powder or any other preferred Spice.

Fast and easy! Great for a Camping Side Dish because the Peas can thaw in the icechest yet will stay good for days to make this Side Dish when you are ready. smile

That's simple, alright...thanks.
Originally Posted by sse
That's simple, alright...thanks.

If you like your Pea Salad with Shredded Carrots just add a handful of these too of course. smile
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cole slaw - 02/15/16
Originally Posted by 5sdad
There are many excellent ways to make cole slaw. There is one sure way to absolutely ruin all of them - that is to run the cabbage through a food processor.

but one of the best ways to maked chopped cole slaw, is to put the slaw into a blender full of water, and pulse it. Stuff comes out perfect every time. Pour the contents into a sieve, drain, and voila`.............
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by 5sdad

but one of the best ways to maked chopped cole slaw, is to put the slaw into a blender full of water, and pulse it. Stuff comes out perfect every time. Pour the contents into a sieve, drain, and voila`.............

Never heard of that one, before...
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Cole slaw - 02/15/16
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
And here's one from Darryl (duxndawgs) that is also very good if you're a blue cheese lover.
Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

5 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup Duke's mayo
1/4 cup butter milk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (split 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Combine cabbage in large bowl. In a food processor or blender combine mayo, butter milk, garlic, 1/2 cup blue cheese, Dijon, pinch of salt and pepper. Process until smooth, pour over cabbage, add remaining blue cheese, toss to coat/mix. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, cover and chill for 3-4 hours.

Mike

I've got to try this. I love cole slaw and blue cheese, but never thought of putting blue cheese in cole slaw.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Cole slaw - 02/15/16
Need crumbled bacon and little .…little cubes of coby 😉
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Need crumbled bacon and little .…little cubes of coby 😉

K, we're gettin there...
Posted By: Steve Re: Cole slaw - 02/23/16
My take on my mom's recipe

.5 Cabbage head (shredded)
Plain Yogurt (cup)
Creamy Horseradish (Beaver brand preferred) (.5cup)
Cider/malt vinegar (couple tblspns)
Sugar (.3 cup)
Johnie's seasoning salt
Fresh gnd pepper

Mix up the last 6 ingredients in a bowl. Adjust for taste (the amounts are geustimates). Should be a bit more saltier/sweeter/zippier/tart than you'd think ash when you mix it with the cabbage it will mellow out a bit.

Mix with cabbage. Let sit in fridge for about an hour before serving.
© 24hourcampfire