Home
Try this again and see if anyone out there has tried it.

Anyone here ever actually used Apricot wood for their smoke source?

Just ended up with some nice 3 - 4" limbs and wondered if I was going to see how it looked on pistola grips, knives or tasted using it in a smoker
I haven't used it, but I wouldn't hesitate one bit. I'm sure it's fantastic.
Originally Posted by LouisB
Try this again and see if anyone out there has tried it.

Anyone here ever actually used Apricot wood for their smoke source?

Just ended up with some nice 3 - 4" limbs and wondered if I was going to see how it looked on pistola grips, knives or tasted using it in a smoker

Pass on the grips and handles unless stabilized... juvenile reaction wood is a PITA in use. And it just looks like very orange-stained cherry...

For smoking it is about the same as cherry. I prefer to cut it with a milder smoke like alder to eliminate bitter flavors. It is worth using.
I've not used apricot wood for smoking but have used a lot of peach wood for smoking. Pig meat and chicken taste great.

L.W.
Well, Let me say this about that . . .

Did a whole chicken, three pretty good sized chunks added to charcoal twice and could barely tell it had any smoke put to it.

Mild smoke to say the least.

Next time is peach, I have a little of it.
Nectarine works too, if you have any.

Geno
Next go round is peach.

Then back to plain ol Mesquite and Hickory.
A nice list. I generally use cherry, apple, oak, and walnut. Lighter smoke like alder is good for fish. I have been using a cookshack smoker for 20 years. An ounce is usually enough for most jobs.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf
© 24hourcampfire