Home
Posted By: 66niteowl Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Pulled or chopped ? I prefer pulled
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
I prefer pulled, but won't turn down chopped pork.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Don't care, and I am ready for seconds.............
Posted By: mathman Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Pulled or chopped?

Yes. grin
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Originally Posted by mathman
Pulled or chopped?

Yes. grin
+1
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Always
Posted By: rem141r Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
i pull it and then chop it. and yes, i am talking about pork. the kind you get from pigs.
Posted By: bmgillum Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Just pulled for me...I did four pork butts last week and pulled all four...never touched the cleaver...the only time I chop is when I get a tough one...

Also, I prefer Carolina sauce...

Cheers/bg
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Originally Posted by bmgillum
Just pulled for me...I did four pork butts last week and pulled all four...never touched the cleaver...the only time I chop is when I get a tough one...

Cheers/bg

Pretty much sums it up for me too. Mexican spices and done in the oven are just as good as anything else. ( s/p, garlic, chile powder, oregano, cumin ) Taco fiesta is ready!
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16

Cheers/bg

Gosh , I hope not mustard sauce, pepper and vinegar is the real deal in SC.
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Originally Posted by 66niteowl

I prefer pulled with vinegar and pepper sauce,always serve it in the blind at Reelfoot for lunch in the blind, but I bring it with me. While I am in Tiptonville and eat out we do catfish and froglegs.

Did this cause I saw U were from W TN.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Pulled, chopped......I don't really care.

Big +1 on the vinegar sauce. Mustard sauce is outstanding as well.

Just keep that sweetazz Midwestern chit off it.
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Originally Posted by rrconductor

I prefer pulled with vinegar and pepper sauce,always serve it in the blind at Reelfoot for lunch in the blind, but I bring it with me. While I am in Tiptonville and eat out we do catfish and froglegs.

Reelfoot lake is about a 45min ride northwest of me, Boyettes is where we go to eat catfish and ham.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/01/16
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Cheers/bg

Pretty much sums it up for me too. Mexican spices and done in the oven are just as good as anything else. ( s/p, garlic, chile powder, oregano, cumin ) Taco fiesta is ready!

That's a good way to roll, Sean.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/02/16
Pulled.

Mike
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/02/16
Either is fine as long as it has some outside crust in it!
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by rrconductor

Reelfoot lake is about a 45min ride northwest of me, Boyettes is where we go to eat catfish and ham.

Boyette's is pretty darn good!
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/02/16
It doesn't really matter, it all gets chewed up and ends up in the same place. Pulled is easier to eat.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/02/16
Pulled is fine if it is not stringy, prefer chopped. Vinegar sauce is good, like tomato based better, sweet with a good bit of heat.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/11/16
Pulled implies it went to 190F and more fat has been rendered, and the tougher tissue is broken down by the heat. At that point it is ready to suck up some sauce.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/11/16
Pulled smile
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/11/16
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Cheers/bg

I love it cooked in the oven this way ! smile

Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork

2 whole Large Sweet Onions
1 whole Pork Shoulder (Butt) about 5 To 7 Pounds
Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 cans (7 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
2 cans Dr. Pepper (I used 20 ounces from a large bottle)
1/2 tsp. Cumin
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Peel the onions and cut them into wedges. Place them in the bottom of a large Dutch oven, sprinkle cumin across the top of the onion wedges.

Salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.

Pour the cans of chipotle peppers over the pork (including the sauce.) Now pour in both cans of Dr. Pepper. Add brown sugar, stir in. (After 4 hours of cooking I tasted the sauce for the balance of heat against sweet, which led to me using an extra tablespoon of brown sugar).

Put the lid tightly on pot, then place pot in the oven. Cook for at least six hours, turn the roast two or three times during the cooking time. After 6 hours check the meat, it should be falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it's not, return to the oven for another hour.

Take the meat out of the pot and place on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred meat, pick out any large pieces of fat and discard. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve (I placed it in the oven, covered at 200 degrees).

Posted By: LouisB Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/11/16
Prefer Pulled, can eat chopped just fine.

I just want it to be good and smoked not like all of the baked pork we now have in Middle Tennessee.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/12/16
Both are ok, but not my favorite. (Wifey asks for pulled pork about evey other month or so.).

My personal preference is pork ribs! Aka pigsicles.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/12/16
Pigsickles !!! LOL!!

Warm weather is here so a rack of spares once a week at the minimum is mandatory for me.I used to be a closet rib junkie but know I'm out 'n' proud. cool

Pass the BBQ sauce, please. laugh

Just put a brisket flat in the smoker tho'. So much meat.So little time,........... wink
Posted By: Bugger Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/12/16
pulled
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/15/16
I prefer Carolina sauce...

"Carolina" covers a lot of territory...and several different kinds of sauce.

[Linked Image]

I think that line between vinegar/tomato in NC is actually a bit further east than what shows on that map.

Mike
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/15/16
People who would chop it are the same people who would chop cabbage (probably in a damned food processor) for cole slaw instead of slice it (while steaming russets in aluminum foil and claiming them to be baked). They should be boiled in their own sauce with a sprig of holly through their heart.
Posted By: stomatador Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/18/16
Pulled, from a butt, smoked until there's a good bark on it. Maybe a turkey below to baste in the drippings. A little sauce of vinegar & pepper on the bun and served with slaw. I've also made tomato sauces with apple juice, or plums and other sweet stuff but I use those more often on ribs.

Of course I've never turned down chopped and I really like brisket and will eat a bunch of Texas bbq whilst at a meeting in Austin in July.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/18/16
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I prefer Carolina sauce...

"Carolina" covers a lot of territory...and several different kinds of sauce.

[Linked Image]

I think that line between vinegar/tomato in NC is actually a bit further east than what shows on that map.

Mike

Lexington BBQ is 'vinegar/spiced' and would fall right along that boundary. I grew up on eastern style as my mother is from far southeastern Virginia. Vinegar spiced and chopped with a couple of shots of Tabasco was the only way I knew for many years.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/18/16
What if someone puts beans in the sauce? grin
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/20/16
I only eat the money meat off the butts anymore...the rest goes into beans at some point...a vinegar/tangy sauce.…yum!
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/20/16
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I only eat the money meat off the butts anymore...the rest goes into beans at some point...a vinegar/tangy sauce.…yum!

Ain't that the truth. I did 8 butts for a graduation last week and the guy told me to keep one for myself. I cut the money muscle off at 175* and threw the rest in with their pork. I've got so much frozen "bean meat" that I could make my whole neighborhood beans for a strong couple months and not run out! I won't be hungry for pulled pork again until about December.

Mike
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/21/16
I am not that picky. You cook it, I'll eat it. smile
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/21/16
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am not that picky.

Liar, liar pants on fire. wink
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/22/16

Pulled for sure...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DaveBulla Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/22/16
I have to agree with LouisB earlier and say I don't care as long as its smoky. Can't say how often I've had guys I work with bring supposed BBQ into work and while often fairly good and tender, I'm sorry to say many times it lacks sorely in smoke flavor. That is NEVER the case when I smoke meat.

Add for sauce, I'll try any of it but tend to like the Texas and Kansas City styles or even none at all.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/23/16
I prefer pulled pork but please be sure to do a thorough job, don't like pulled with big chunks in it. Chopped is OK but is kind of like sloppy joe rather than pork barbeque.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Pork BBQ survey - 05/25/16
just put a boston butt in the slow cooker this morning.

coated with durkee's chicken and rib rub then added 1 cup of apple cider vinegar ,1 cup of brown sugar and one cup of ketchup. i'll let it go til 4pm today then pull.
© 24hourcampfire