Home
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
I'm smoking a couple racks of ribs Sunday and I want a good sauce to go with it.

I'll be making the same run as I did last time, but I don't know if I want a bottled sauce with it.

I'm more of a thicker sauce fan, and not the thin, vinegar based fan for ribs. I like it a bit tangy/spicy, but not burning the mouth.

If you make yours, how so?

If you buy yours, what do you suggest?

Thanks!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
I generally buy mine and this brand has never failed to bring a smile on my friends faces when I serve up "my secret special sauce" that I simmered for hours. wink I've been enjoying it for a dozen years or more.

Available at food service supply/outlet stores in many sizes.Ask for Ken's Cannonball BBQ sauce as well as searching online.

[Linked Image]

For Ribs I like Sweet Baby Rays.....for Chicken and/or Brats I mix it 50/50 with Franks Wing Sauce....
Posted By: antlers Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
Head Country BBQ Sauce made in Oklahoma is pretty darn good stuff too...!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
"Countryside" is made here in Iowa, and I really like it.
Posted By: Lorin Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
another fan of the head country sauce. I like to mix the hot and the medium.
Posted By: GregW Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
Sweet Baby Ray's if I'm buying but I usually make my own..
Thanks guys!

Sweet Baby Rays is all over here. I also have liked me some Bone Suckin' Sauce.

GregW...willing to share the recipe...or at least a modified version of it?
Posted By: GregW Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
Apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, plain mustard, spicy ketchup in ratios that appeal to you. I add in other spices as well including pepper flakes. Let it age in fridge a day prior to serving.

Super for brisket and pork.
Posted By: Owl Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
I make my own. But, due to becoming a diabetic I don't eat it any more.

It starts off with 5lbs of brown sugar and 1 qt of molasses.

Sure taste's great. But too much sugar for me.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
A simple one to get you by is coke, ketchup and sauteed diced onion, bring to a boil and then let cool. You can add other ingredients common to BBQ sauce but it's great on it's own, especially chicken on the wood fire grill.
Another vote for Sweet Baby Rays. OJ, bourbon, cayenne, or what ever floats your boat to doctor it up. I don't use it much for my personal cooks, but lots of people like it for the events that I cook for.

As always, your mileage may vary. Same goes for regions.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/24/16
And another vote for Head Country sauce. Their rub is my standby when I take the easy way out (and probably just as good or better).
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Make your own BBQ Sauce? - 05/26/16
I dabbled with it, but with all the excellent commercial sauces and rubs available today it's not really worth the effort IMO. I typically mix a couple together, but not always. "Blues Hog", Rod Grays "BBQ, The Next Big Thing", Stubs "Kyle Style" and Baby Huey's "Sweet Fire" are a few of my favorites. If you enjoy making your own, then go for it!

Mike
© 24hourcampfire