Home
Posted By: gitem_12 Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
I don't frequent the food forum, but my wife bought me a lodge cast iron pan today.

I don't know much about cast iron cookware and I imagine Like everything else you get what you pay for but just wondering if the lodge stuff is decent or going to crack on me?
Posted By: antlers Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
I've got a Lodge 100% cast iron hibachi type grill and I've been grillin' like a mofo on it. I love it. And when I do decide to buy some cast iron pans, they're gonna be the Lodge brand. I hope you like yours.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
Originally Posted by gitem_12
just wondering if the lodge stuff is decent or going to crack on me?

Lots of good info on YouTube. Lodge is good metal but even an idiot can break an anvil.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
Biggest reason a CI pan is cracked, is from putting it in water while it's still hot. It does not withstand thermal stress well.

Cool it before you wash it. Of course many will tell you to not wash it at all.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
Lodge is good brand name. Google how to season it.Better brands reflect better finish on them. Dutch ovens reflect this in how good the lid seals.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
I mainly wanted a pan to cook on a charcoal grill with, I.made some baked beans in it tonight that turned out well.

I think.my next item will be a Dutch oven
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
No flies on Lodge. You're gonna learn to love cooing with cast iron.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
I mainly wanted a pan to cook on a charcoal grill with.

Consider this. I use mine for EVERYTHING, soups, stews, breads, frying, baking, charcoal, as well as cooking right on a campfire.

Probably THE MOST USED piece of kit in our home.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/lod...chicken-fryer-deep-skillet/530L8CF3.html
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
Lodge is good stuff. Once you get it seasoned good, it will be your goto skillet for just about everything.

When one of my nieces got married, she had some very expensive cookware on her bridal registery. I gave her one of my favorite well seasoned Wagner CI skillets. I saw her kind of turn up her nose when she opened my gift. A few years latter when we stopped by to visit and have supper with her, I noticed the old CI skillet on the stove and made some comment about it. She came over and hugged my neck and told me it was her favorite and most used cooking utensil. She certainly did a fine job frying some thick pork chops with it that night.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
Yes, Lodge makes excellent cast iron cookware in South Pittsburgh, Tennessee.
Posted By: Gus Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Yes, Lodge makes excellent cast iron cookware in South Pittsburgh, Tennessee.

yes they do. as an aside i have been through their plant there in south pittsburg back when they were making circulator wood & coal heaters, and when atlanta stoveworks were making their particular models and ashley were making their similar models.

atl stoveworks has closed down, and i believe the south pittsburg folks got out of wood & coal heaters back several years ago.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
What TNrifleman said +1.

Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/04/16
I mainly wanted a pan to cook on a charcoal grill with, I.made some baked beans in it tonight that turned out well.

Lodge makes dam good stuff.....
I don't cook beans in any of my CI though....turns em a creepy grey color....
Season it and use the hell out of it....the more you use it the better it'll get....
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
Lodge makes cast iron as well as anyone in the world these days. Their metallurgy is well in hand.
The main difference between older Griswold or Sydney pieces, is the finish is better on the old cast iron.
Lodge will cook as well as anyone's stuff.
Call me John. I have a ton of Cast iron, and more than a bit of experience using it indoors and out.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
my lodge CI dutch oven has done a ton of campfire cooking since i bought it 6-8 years ago. chili, stew, desserts, fries, etc. i don't use soap on mine. after use i just heat up water in it and let it simmer and then scrub it with a brissel sponge. when its all dry i coat it real good in vegetable oil and put it away.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
As a rule, the newer iron is considerably heavier than the vintage stuff....
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
Got me several lodge pieces. Latest is a big azz frying pan that was gifted to me I haven't had opportunity to use as of yet. But like Mannlicher, I use CI every day. Got 5 vintage pieces that are stored on the stove top that see constant use.

Not any flies on Lodge products!!! Your lady did you right!!!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
Slow cooked some bacon in it this am as well.

No burnt pieces ,and then scrambled eggs in the drippings...everyone loved it.

Sam I'll get ahold of you this week

I wish the pan I got was bigger now, I really like the looks of that chicken friar
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
Don't own any lodge stuff although not by choice as I feel they are very good quality for the money. I do use CI a lot at our house, I have a nice Dutch oven and a 16" frying pan that got used a lot with the scouts and is used anytime I do blackened shrimp at the house or fry up some filets. Love cooking on the stuff.
Posted By: mathman Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
Slow cooked some bacon in it this am as well.

No burnt pieces ,and then scrambled eggs in the drippings...everyone loved it.

Sam I'll get ahold of you this week

I wish the pan I got was bigger now, I really like the looks of that chicken friar

Hear hear!

Bacon should not be rushed.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
And I mean slow...like 40 minutes on low

My stepdaughter was supposed to have a softball double header today, had I known sooner they had canceled it I would have baked some bacon bread
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16

I wish the pan I got was bigger now,

Check out the 20 incher from Cabelas. $47.99

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-Series-Cast-Iron-Skillets/727438.uts
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

I wish the pan I got was bigger now,

Check out the 20 incher from Cabelas. $47.99

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-Series-Cast-Iron-Skillets/727438.uts

Personally draw the line on knowingly eating any food cooked in Made in China cookware....
Where does it say "made in china" ?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
In the Q&A tab on the sales page.
If you can get a 20" skillet for $47 there's a pretty high probability it's made in China.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Lodge makes cast iron as well as anyone in the world these days. Their metallurgy is well in hand.
The main difference between older Griswold or Sydney pieces, is the finish is better on the old cast iron.
Lodge will cook as well as anyone's stuff.
Call me John. I have a ton of Cast iron, and more than a bit of experience using it indoors and out.

I have old Griswold and newer Lodge.

The Griswold definitely has the cool factor, but to be honest, I prefer to cook on the newer Lodge.

One of my favorite Lodge pieces is an enameled iron oven. The wife grabbed it on sale from Amazon for something like $25-$30.
Bingo !! Just bought this 3 quart DO a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
My 16" pan is the cabelas brand but I had no idea it was mfr in China.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
Yep! That's it. Mine might be a 5qt.

The thing is killer for any braise, chowder, gumbo, etc....
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/05/16
We use several Lodge Cast Irons.

Their enameled ones are made in China.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/06/16
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Bingo !! Just bought this 3 quart DO a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

I have the 5-qt DO.

Lodge's CS is top notch as well. The first one I had developed chips in the interior bottom. Emailed Lodge, they asked for and got pictures and then sent me a new one!

Nice big DO for things that should not contact metal, like spag sauce.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/06/16
Have a few cast iron skillets

[Linked Image]

The two larger ones are lodge, the others are no-name. As I recall we got a set of three skillets (smallest one not shown) and a dutch oven and skillet from Costco about 20 years ago. Looks like you can still find these sets:

[Linked Image]

Haven't had any problems with cracks except for a #10 stamped made in USA that was a gift from my wife's late aunt, but it was cracked when we got it.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/07/16
I picked up an old Wagner chicken fryer "1891 Original" remake at a junk shop a while back for $25. Got home and found a small crack in it up by handle. I even did the ring test on it and it sounded ok. But He'll I'm deaf anyway.

This fryer has become my favorite everything pan. Even with the small crack (I'm careful) it's works great! I watch it. Man will it fry bacon.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/07/16
I need a bigger pan
So far I've used mine for baking, frying bacon and made garlic rosemary crusted chicken breast in it tonight
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/07/16
World Market has their Lodge cookware 50% off today only.If I didn't have such a large collection already I would buy some.
http://www.worldmarket.com/search.do?query=CAST+IRON
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/07/16
I need a bigger pan

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L17SK3-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-17-inch/dp/B00063RWVG

Bayou Classic has a 20 incher.

http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Cast_Iron/7438.html

Posted By: ironbender Re: Lodge cast iron? - 06/07/16
I need a bigger pan

Look at your local 2nd hand stores for Wagner or Erie/Griswold.
© 24hourcampfire