Home
Posted By: 458 Lott Light the fuse - 07/20/16
My first try at smoking a pork but on the 4th of July came out pretty good, but it was a challenge controlling the temp as I'd never tried a low and slow on the grill. I tried it again a couple days ago using a "fuse" and had much control of the temp and wasn't constantly adding charcoal and fiddling with the dampers.

[Linked Image]

Basically you lay the coals out so that they will start at one end and burn along a snake like pattern. I added some birch and another hunk of alder and a few more coals and was able to get a pretty even burn for four hours. I need to put in some accurate temp gauges but I was able to get a good smoke and then finished it off in the oven to bring the internal temp to 190F.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: add Re: Light the fuse - 07/20/16
Interesting.

So a single layer, double row of standard briquettes, as shown in your pic, was sufficient?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Light the fuse - 07/20/16
They seemed to run about 3 hours. I started a dozen briquettes in the chimney and dumped them on the right side of the grate to get the coals and alder going. After ~3 hours I added more wood and a handfull of brickets on the other side as most of the coals had burned down. The temp gauge in the grill is useless but was reading 225-250 and after 4 hours I had an internal temp of 140F. It did the trick in terms of creating a smoke ring and crust.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Light the fuse - 07/20/16
458, that's a good looking pork butt.

How'd the smoke ring look?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Light the fuse - 07/21/16
The smoke ring was somehwere around 3/8-1/2". I think the 4th of July butt had a smokier flavor, but this one came out fine. I figure after a few more I start to get the hang of it.

As far as the two wide coals, putting a third coal down the middle would probably be a good idea to get the temp up, but then no place to nestle the wood.
Posted By: add Re: Light the fuse - 07/21/16
Thanks 458.

Will give this a shot next butt.
Posted By: EdM Re: Light the fuse - 07/23/16
I bought a smoker some months ago and queried Lt. Powell. He advised how to proceed with a sausage, turkey breast and brisket mix and also advised it would get better each time. As usual, he was spot on.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Light the fuse - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The smoke ring was somehwere around 3/8-1/2". I think the 4th of July butt had a smokier flavor, but this one came out fine. I figure after a few more I start to get the hang of it.

As far as the two wide coals, putting a third coal down the middle would probably be a good idea to get the temp up, but then no place to nestle the wood.

Sounds great, 458!
© 24hourcampfire