Home
Posted By: wabigoon Varieties of potatoes - 09/19/16
What do you like, and for what purpose?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/19/16
Kennebecs are very popular where I live as most gardens here have them. Full of flavor and used for most tradition tater dishes.
Posted By: Gus Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/19/16
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Kennebecs are very popular where I live as most gardens here have them. Full of flavor and used for most tradition tater dishes.

yeah, yeah, white kennebecs. they're in every feed store. both cut, eyes, and whole.

the red pontiacs are off and on. they're delicious while fresh, but not so much a keeper.

in the stores, we like the yellows, and the purples, but we've never grown them in our red clay garden.
Posted By: byc Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/19/16
New Potatoes!!
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/19/16
Shepody potatoes are tough to beat. My buddy in Wyoming picks a few bags up for us every year when he is over in Idaho before our lope hunt. Can't get them here in AZ.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/19/16
Yukon gold for baked, fingerling with roasted veggies!
Posted By: Sykotik Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/19/16
Yukon gold and red are great for mashed....skin on preferred.

can't beat a Russet for baking though.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/19/16
Russet for baking, kennebecs for french fries!
Posted By: EdM Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/20/16
Russets for about everything.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/20/16
Russets for killer smashed taters.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/23/16
Hands down ...... Magic myrna..… https://www.uaf.edu/ces/highlights/potatobash/ smashed ! hel! the butters ALREADY in it ..lol
Pontiac red for new potatoes or diced with onions. We're limited on what we can do with potatoes by clay and rocky soil, so ymmv.
Posted By: selmer Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/28/16
Kennebecs, Yukon Gold, and Pontiac reds are the standards in my garden. Yukon for about everything, reds for new taters, kennebecs for general mashing/roasting use.
Posted By: byc Re: Varieties of potatoes - 09/28/16
I've never even heard of half these varieties. Maybe it's because if we couldn't grown 'em then we didn't enjoy 'em.

Guess I need to branch out a little!! wink
© 24hourcampfire