Home
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Portobello Mushrooms - 09/24/16
I've been enjoying them the same way for thirty years or more. Lately I've been making it a regular again, buying them every week at the grocery store.

I saute the caps in butter for five minutes on each side, and serve them along with a small dipping-sauce-bowl of balsamic vinegar. So good. I dip each fork sized piece completely in the vinegar to get complete coverage.
Posted By: Gus Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/24/16
sounds good. i usually just chop them up and stir fry with sweet peppers and vidalia onions, using olive oil and/or butter.

do s-h-i-t-a-k-e mushrooms the same way. i'm not a big fan of the pure white ones but will add them to beef stews.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/24/16
I like to pull the stems and fill the cap with a mixture of cream cheese, green onions, and shredded cheese. Lightly dust them with a good BBQ seasoning and toss direct on my BGE. Yum!
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/24/16
Just had some baby bellas last night. I sliced them, saute'd them in butter with some garlic and onion, then served them on the side of a dry aged rib-eye. Tough to beat bella's served with steak!

Mike
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/24/16
Mike, that's my favorite way unless I stuff them. grin
Posted By: EdM Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/24/16
I fry one in olive oil, pull, salt, pepper and Asiago cheese then throw it in a crusty French roll.
Posted By: byc Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/24/16
I prefer grilling!

Darn near like a steak.

When sauteed I use butter, sea salt and a wheat bourbon!!
Posted By: Raeford Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/27/16
Bourbon??
Really?
grin
Posted By: byc Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/28/16
absolutely!!! My Mother taught me that.

Damned great combo with a giant steak!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/28/16
Drink the bourbon or a bourbon base marinade ?
Posted By: byc Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/28/16
drink the good bourbon while you splash the pan of sauteed shrooms with a little so-so bourbon and a ton of butter!!!

Jim Beam or any wheated bourbon like Weller Reserve works well on both accounts!!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/28/16
Sippin' Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit ATM. Ain't slpashin' it on nutin' but my big mouth! laugh
Posted By: Raeford Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/29/16
So don't 'splash' my Mitcher or Jeff Ocean anywhere but down my gullet? grin
Posted By: Hunt41Ram Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/29/16
I like to take them on my elk hunting trips where I pack in...lighter than beef and will last a few days. I cut them into big slices, combine with onions, peppers and fajita seasoning to make fajitas the same way I prepare fajitas with meat. I even do this occasionally at home they're so good!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by byc
drink the good bourbon while you splash the pan of sauteed shrooms with a little so-so bourbon and a ton of butter!!!

Jim Beam or any wheated bourbon like Weller Reserve works well on both accounts!!

Like a cognac cream sauce.

Only better !

wink
Posted By: byc Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/29/16
Exactly!! Little OT but there's now a great pecan bourbon on the shelf that takes bourbon pecan pie or vanilla ice cream to a whole new level.

Great desert bourbon as well.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by byc
Exactly!! Little OT but there's now a great pecan bourbon on the shelf that takes bourbon pecan pie or vanilla ice cream to a whole new level.

Not familiar with the above but french vanilla is a staple here. Tell us more, please.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by byc

Dessert bourbon! I've heard it all now! laugh
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by byc

Dessert bourbon! I've heard it all now! laugh

NO man desert bourbon. Good to drink while in the Sahara!! wink
Denny it's a little sweet for me but damned good when heated and poured over good vanilla ice cream.

Great in bourbon pecan pies and sweet potatoes. Maybe even banana's foster!!

Heck it might even be good with portobellos and cinnamon. Yeah Mike "desert" bourbon 'shrooms baby! smile

In fact, I'm gonna' try some over pecan pancakes this Saturday morning before I make my Penguin football picks. Might help!

Sorry Hawk but at least I got your ports in my post!! grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/29/16
Certainly not knocking it David. Just unfamiliar with the term. Never could drink that stuff in spite of some effort.

But back to portobellos....

In Vegas once, I had a marinaded, grilled portobello burger. It was just awesome! Have meant to do that at home, but just have not...yet.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/30/16
Wonder if it's a true bourbon (51% corn) or a knock off with flavoring added. Would be pretty cool if there's pecans in the grain bill. Just curious.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by byc

[Linked Image]
Posted By: byc Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/30/16
Definitely would have to be 51% corn by law right?

As for the pecans this is from their site.

William Wolf Pecan Bourbon is produced in small batches and aged for five years. It is infused with all natural flavors of raw South Carolina Pecans and 100% Canadian Maple. The result is an exceptionally rich, bold whiskey that is perfect when served straight up or in a cocktail. Traditional whiskey lovers will appreciate William Wolf's bold, dark taste, while fans of cocktails will be drawn to the enticingly smooth and nutty pecan flavor.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/30/16
Since it's an infusion some pecan oil might be fun to play with in some private stock cool Won't be the same but might be close.

Speaking from exp. these oils are high quality.I use their butterscotch oil when making butterscotch hooch.

http://www.lorannoils.com/1-ounce-larger-sizes/pecan-flavor-0640-larger.
Posted By: byc Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 09/30/16
Thanks for that link.

Posted By: Raeford Re: Portobello Mushrooms - 10/03/16
Hmmmm, wondering how that would work in a Paula Dean Pee-kan bourbon chocolate pie. confused
© 24hourcampfire