Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/04/16
Pard's wife over in Eden holler cooked me some mater gravy n biscuits today for lunch. DAYYUM !!!! Good eats. Going on my bucket list for later on this weeks breakfast or lunch as she gave her recipe. Also she gave me some of her homemade jalapeno mustard but ain't dug into that yet. Gotta buy a pork loin for that. Can't wait. cool
Posted By: ironbender Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/04/16
Different than eyetalian spag sauce?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/04/16
Much different. But oh so good over biscuits. The hillbillies around here live on the stuff. Next to biscuits n gravy of course. grin I was hoping his wife would give me a gallon or two to take home. mmmmmmmmmmmm !

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/205214/southern-style-tomato-gravy

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/05/16
I'm from that area, and I don't think I have ever heard of it. Wonder if it's a local thing in WV?
Sounds good though, and I can see making it. smile
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/06/16
Just knew there had to be some burnt pig in there somewhere. grin
Posted By: kingston Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/06/16
What's her address?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/06/16
Originally Posted by kingston
What's her address?

The pig or the cook ? grin wink
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/06/16
Throw up a recipe for it.

Biscuits and gravy is one of my all time comfort foods, wouldn't mind trying a variation on the gravy.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/06/16
Dear lord that sounds amazing.

Gonna be dinner tonight!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/06/16
458;

Read / see the link, 4 posts above your reply.

grin
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/06/16
Hot damn.....Denny, that was the best dinner I've had in a bit.

I fried up some shoulder bacon. It's pretty lean. More like a smoked country ham. Pulled my pork out, added some butter and flour to the pan, stir and cook for a few.

Then hit it with a big can of san marzano tomatoes I had spun in the Quisinart for a second or two. Cook for a few more and stir well to incorporate the frond.

Added some heavy cream, salt and pepper, and a little shredded chedda. Simmer for 10 or so.

Fresh biscuits, topped with shoulder bacon, smothered in gravy, couple over easy eggs.....So damn good.

I'm one cocktail away from rubbing that schit on my balls and howling at the moon.

Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/06/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I'm one cocktail away from rubbing that schit on my balls and howling at the moon.

Go fer it !!!! BTDT !!! laugh

Erotic is when ya use a feather. Kinky is when ya use the whole damn chikken. grin

Gonna be a loonngg freakin' winter !!!! grin laugh crazy
Posted By: velvet tines Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/07/16
that recipe is for some kinda fancy-schmancy tomato gravy - real, southern 'mater gravy doesn't have any kind of cheese in it.

fry up some bacon and reserve a lil' grease. stir in flour and make a roux (brown the flour). add fresh, seeded tomatoes to your liking - three or four large tomatoes will make ah plenty. add in a cup to two cups whole milk and a big dose of fresh ground black pepper. throw in a pinch of salt and taste. may need a bit more salt to balance out but don't forget you're gonna eat that salty, crispy bacon you previously cooked. spoon over a big ol' cathead biscuit and you'll be ready to work the fields til noon.

Bless my grandmother (born in 1892), she made this all the time for me and my brother.

...and no, it's nothing like tomato sauce you put on sketti.
Posted By: byc Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/07/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner

eek

You best get your azzz out of that liberal NW and back to good ole normal Georgia!!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/07/16
Hah!
I blame the dearth of fine southern cuisine on my extreme excitement over a batch gravy.

It truly was an ethereal experience. Lol.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/08/16
Might be good, as I have never had it, but I can't see anything making milk gravy any better than the simple kind. Chocolate gravy used to be the rage around here, but I did not care for it either. miles
Posted By: byc Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/08/16
I concur Miles.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/08/16
I've ignored this thread thinking it was just another tomato sauce rodeo but now that I opened it I gotta try it.....

Looks like a perfect use for some of the peeled and frozen tomato's from my garden this year....

Stay tuned....
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/09/16
Nice n eezy simple recipe that's great over biscuits or over anything else that may float yer boat yet some here are bordering on a freaking aneurysm. Simple fare nothing more.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/09/16
Some people like some things, some not. For instance, I like peanut butter and I like jelly, but I do not want them together. Others are crazy about it. Same with fruit cocktail in jello. I like both, but separate. miles
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/09/16
Beware of foods not tried as yee may like them. grin laugh
Posted By: sse Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/15/16
Throw up a recipe for it.

Maybe not the best choice of words in a food thread.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/15/16
Mater Gravy and Cathead Biscuits, standard fare around here. I've even put Rotel Tomatoes in it. yummmm..
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/21/16
I finally got around to making a batch this morning....DELICIOUS!!!!!
A nice change of pace too....I'm not throwing out my Sausage Gravy recipe but this'll definitely go in my gravy or grits rotation...

Thanks for posting it...
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/21/16
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
DELICIOUS!!!!!

Nicely said, FG.

Thanks.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Tomato Gravy !!!! - 10/23/16
I Like tomato gravy but haven't had any for a while. The cooks from Alabama and Mississippi cook it pretty often but we have 2 Louisiana cooks right now.
© 24hourcampfire