Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Prepping pork liver ? - 11/09/16
Guys, despite my inherent hatred,disgust (gag) of most thing containing liver,any liver, I just love the heck out of boudin sausage which contains pork liver and could eat it almost daily if it were available in my area which it is not.

Solution ? Make it myself using my sausage making equipment and an internet recipe which sounds darn good. Fun hobby BTW.

http://honest-food.net/2014/06/09/cajun-boudin-sausage-recipe

Having zero exp. in the prepping/cooking of liver I thought I would ask the 24HCF chefs if there's anything I should do other than just cook the damn stuff and follow the recipe.

Am I overthinking this ?

TIA, Denny.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/10/16
I tried pork liver sausage once about 4 years ago and for some reason it was like jelly. It never set up. I went out of my way to get quality liver from a local pig farm, and it was a disaster. I had to pitch the whole batch. So I am curious if that is common? I am afraid to try it again.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/10/16
Sorry to hear that, Terry. Boudin is cooked before it is put in the casing so hopefully that won't happen to me. frown
Posted By: CAJUN Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/10/16
this is an original boudin recipe that from Lafayette, LA

3 lbs pork butt roast
½ lbs. pork liver
1 whole onion
1 bell pepper
3 cups cooked rice
1 bunches of onion tops, tops only
Salt and black pepper to taste
Sausage casing
2 quarts of water

Method:

Place water, boneless pork, onion, bell pepper and pork livein in a stock pot. Bring to a rolling boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook one and one-half hours, adding more water as needed. While meat boils, cook rice using rice, then set aside. Remove meat and liver from stock and set aside. Grind pork, bell peper, onion & liver, use food processor if desired. Add meat and vegatles to stock mixture. Cook unitl most of the liquid has evaporated. Stock should measure around 2.5 cups. Stir in cooked rice and chopped green onions, add more seasoning if desired. Stuff rice & meat mixture into sausage casing using a sausage stuffer. Tie a koo0t at the beginning of the casing. Twist ever 6 to 8 inch section to make individual links, tie a knoot at the end of the casing. Freeze or refirgerat. Best served the next day. To prepare Boudin, cook in simmering water for 12 minutes. Remove from water and serve. Or you can spary oil on a 9X11 pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the casing is crisp on all sides.
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/10/16
Liver belongs in the pisser -- I mean shiitter.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/11/16
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Liver belongs in the pisser -- I mean [bleep].

Absolutely !!!!!!!!

Just the fact that there's liver in it gives me nightmares but the recipe above and many like it are actually very good.I guess it's the small ratio of liver to the rest of the ingredients
Posted By: remrug77 Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/14/16
Cut up in pieces big enough to cover the hook
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/14/16
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Liver belongs in the pisser -- I mean [bleep].

Absolutely !!!!!!!!

Just the fact that there's liver in it gives me nightmares but the recipe above and many like it are actually very good.I guess it's the small ratio of liver to the rest of the ingredients

I'm with ya man....liver is simply fuggin awful, except when it ain't.

Boudin and dirty rice ain't!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/14/16
LOL

[Linked Image]screen grab
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/15/16
Originally Posted by remrug77
Cut up in pieces big enough to cover the hook

this
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Prepping pork liver ? - 11/27/16
Close friend of mine lives in Houma and brings local boudin up for our pheasant hunt, and to restock my freezer, every year. His guy makes pork, crawfish, and shrimp varieties. All are outstanding, but the crawfish (spiciest) is by far my favorite. If you've never had good boudin, you're missing out.
© 24hourcampfire