Home
Posted By: Steelhead Say No to White - 11/19/16
Sausage gravy.

Nothing like sausage gravy and homemade biscuits on a cold Saturday morning. It will be a first dip below freezing tonight. Very warm fall.

Lots of sausage gravy is about stark white, but that's because there ain't enough pepper flakes/cayenne in the sausage.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Say No to White - 11/19/16
That looks quite good.
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Say No to White - 11/19/16
One of my favorite meals...looks good!
Posted By: byc Re: Say No to White - 11/19/16
Called sawmill gravy in the Carolina's. Lots of history there.

Posted By: huntinaz Re: Say No to White - 11/19/16
I like paprika in my gravy, also combates the whiteness.
Posted By: elwood Re: Say No to White - 11/20/16
If you brown the flour when making the roux it won't be white and also have a better flavor.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Say No to White - 11/20/16
If you brown the flour when making the roux it won't be white and also have a better flavor.

When I was in grade school, a friend of mines' Mom, made the best white, milk gravy that I have ever had. I don't know how She kept it that white, and not have it taste like raw flour. My mother made good gravy, but it was brownish, and She had no idea how to keep it white and good. Back to Steelheads original post, last night was our first night below freezing. Down to 26f, and a good frost. Got down to 35f a couple of nights previous with some scattered frost. Would have been a good morning on the deer stand, if I did not have this head cold. miles
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Say No to White - 11/20/16
Originally Posted by elwood

Exactly
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Say No to White - 11/21/16
Looks mighty good, Steelhead. I love good sausage gravy and hot biscuits.

Here is a good recipe I've used.

L.W.
© 24hourcampfire