Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Fresh Fish - 11/19/16
I was driving home from Miami today, and got a phone call. My neighbor had been fishing today in the Gulf, out of Suwanee, and said he dropped off a cooler full of fish in my garage. Two nice Redfish, two Sea Trout, and three Black Drum.
They are cleaned and in the 'fridge now. What a great neighbor, eh?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Fresh Fish - 11/19/16
Good friend indeed!
Posted By: byc Re: Fresh Fish - 11/19/16
those are 2 nice Redfish!! Think I'd be cranking those up right about now. Blackened for me please!! Maybe a side of rice pilaf and slaw.

WTH fry one!!

Nice to have altruistic friends.

Thanks for sharing Sam!!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Fresh Fish - 11/19/16
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I was driving home from Miami today, and got a phone call. My neighbor had been fishing today in the Gulf, out of Suwanee, and said he dropped off a cooler full of fish in my garage. Two nice Redfish, two Sea Trout, and three Black Drum.

Very nice (keep those wormy drum!) I have a lot of really great memories of fishing at Suwannee from 72 to 94 when my grandparents had a fish camp and later their retirement home there.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Fresh Fish - 11/19/16
did not see a worm in any of the drum. Surprised me. Nice, clean filets.
Suwanee is a great place to fish from. I am happy some others like you, know the place and appreciate how nice it is.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Fresh Fish - 11/20/16
It was a great place to visit as a kid. Not sure we'd swim in the creek today with all the gators! My grandparents with bass caught on two consecutive days out in front of their house.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fresh Fish - 11/21/16
Put fresh fillets in a glass dish, salt lightly, and leave overnight. Next morning take the fillets out and pick off any worms you see. The rest will be in the dish...

Virtually all fish have more worms than you can imagine. Salt trick works for all of them.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Fresh Fish - 11/21/16
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Put fresh fillets in a glass dish, salt lightly, and leave overnight. Next morning take the fillets out and pick off any worms you see. The rest will be in the dish...

Virtually all fish have more worms than you can imagine. Salt trick works for all of them.
Does salt water work? or just plain salt?
Posted By: ST50 Re: Fresh Fish - 11/21/16
We have some nice yellow perch with worm problems.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Fresh Fish - 11/21/16
Good looking reds, Sam. Bet those went down well.

When the black drum get worms, it's almost always the bigger ones (much bigger than the ones Sam's pictured) and it's also almost always in the heat of the summer.

They're protein, too. Just make a little snap, crackle, pop when you filet the fish. smile

Fry em up... never know the difference. smile
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Fresh Fish - 11/21/16
Originally Posted by Pugs
It was a great place to visit as a kid. Not sure we'd swim in the creek today with all the gators! My grandparents with bass caught on two consecutive days out in front of their house.

[Linked Image]

Those are some stout looking bass, Pugs.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Fresh Fish - 11/22/16
We had oven baked Redfish last night. Meyer Lemon butter on the side, some Tony Chacere's seasoning and olive oil on the filets. They were VERY tasty.
Broccoli with lemon butter, and some of that wonderful Minnesota blonde wild rice on the side. I sauteed portobello mushrooms in butter, olive oil and 15 year old Port Wine, and folded those into the mushrooms.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: selmer Re: Fresh Fish - 11/22/16
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Good looking reds, Sam. Bet those went down well.

When the black drum get worms, it's almost always the bigger ones (much bigger than the ones Sam's pictured) and it's also almost always in the heat of the summer.

They're protein, too. Just make a little snap, crackle, pop when you filet the fish. smile

Fry em up... never know the difference. smile

Exactly right
Posted By: pal Re: Fresh Fish - 11/22/16
Monster bass!

My very first fish on a fly (last year), 24" rainbow.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Fresh Fish - 11/22/16
That's a heckuva way to break the ice!
Posted By: badger Re: Fresh Fish - 11/23/16
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Very nice (keep those wormy drum!) I have a lot of really great memories of fishing at Suwannee from 72 to 94 when my grandparents had a fish camp and later their retirement home there.

I remember staying at Bill's Fish Camp a few times. Great times, good fishing.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Fresh Fish - 11/24/16
That sounds like a great friend.

I have not had the good fortune to have eaten any of the three.

BUT

Would in a heartbeat!
© 24hourcampfire