Home
Posted By: byc Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
and the collards are cooked and ready for New Years Day. Also went ahead and prepared the green beans, creamed corn and tied the pork roast. Now about to try my luck at a coconut cream pie. eek

New Years Day we'll make the scalloped potatoes, mac & cheese and cornbread. Got some chow chow from my Mom's pantry (dang I still owe Greg the recipe) and some Texas Pete hot pepper vinegar for the soiree!!

Happy New Year!!

David
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
I made 2 gallons of gumbo.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Will be making Hoppin John tonight when I get off work.. that is if the Lyft driver will stop for me to pick up some ground beef on the way home. (Fuel pump died in the truck last night on the way to the grocery store). frown
Posted By: EdM Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
My middle son has a pot of elk chili simmering for tonight. Undecided for tomorrow.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Black-eyed peas are soaking, and been cruising the internet to find a different cabbage use recipe. Finally settled on Ree Drumonds "Escalloped Cabbage Casserole".

Now off to the store to get a jar of Cheese Whiz and some buttermilk for the cornbread.
I'm grilling USDA Prime Black Angus fillets along with home made mashed potatoes and my Uncle's home grown blackeyed peas for NY's Day.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Sounds good. All of it.

I'm sick as a dog and likely on water for the day.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Thanks for the reminder. Just put the peas into soak and took the hambone from a couple weeks ago out of the freezer. Picked up collards on the way home today.

I'll do the cornbread tomorrow.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Picked up a ham this morning, Farmer John gold foil for .69 a pound, turnips with greens attached at the farmers market, and black eyed peas at the grocery store. Bonus at the store, boxing match between two customers and the produce guy! Ham is in the oven and I'm headed out to anew years eve party in a couple of hours. Will put it altogether tomorrow and watch some football.

Everyone be safe and have a great night.

Happy New Year!

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Roast pork and sauerkraut with dumplins and mashed potatoes, is the traditional New Years day meal here. Add maple syrup for the dumplings, can't wait.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Roast pork and sauerkraut with dumplins and mashed potatoes, is the traditional New Years day meal here. Add maple syrup for the dumplings, can't wait.

I love pork, kraut in mashed taters. We would cook pork ribs in the kraut till it all fell off.

I need to make that again.
Posted By: byc Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I made 2 gallons of gumbo.

That works!!! Nothing better than comfort/soul foods on New Years Day!!

Glad to see many are keeping up with tradition. Whatever the menu might include!!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Roast pork and sauerkraut with dumplins

Bingo !!! Sooooooooo good.
Posted By: byc Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Sounds good. All of it.

I'm sick as a dog and likely on water for the day.

I am just now getting over the crud. Started Christmas Eve and could not even make Church. Barely made Christmas dinner.

In fact, tomorrow will be my first real time in over a week that I will hopefully feel like eating.

Fast healing to ya' bubba!!
Thank ya, sir!

Guaranteed pop has a pot of pork and sauerkraut going with a side of mash potatoes. I don't think he's missed that New Years meal in all the years I've been around!
How do you folks do your dumplings?
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
safe and happy new year to all

Dang that sounds good!!!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 12/31/16
Embarrassing. Bisquick dough on top of kraft juice, untill done. Beth had a terrible time making these, nobody had ever heard of them failing. They would look good, but the inside would be hard and doughy. Nasty. She persereverd, and does good now. A little real maple syrup, tasty.
Nothing wrong with that! Sounds great!
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/01/17
Got a butt going, collards, BE peas, Mac and cheese , rice , cornbread ( wanted to do cracklin, but she said NO), sweet potato crunch. Top all off with a slice of Fruit cake and a cup of Nog.
Posted By: byc Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/01/17
Hey Claude! Happy New Year buddy!!!

How about them Tigers!??
Posted By: Pugs Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/01/17
Good luck guranteeeddd. grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by byc
Hey Claude! Happy New Year buddy!!!

How about them Tigers!??

hey David, how bout those Tigers! Hope you and yours had a great Christmas and New Year.

Can't wait for the NC game!
Originally Posted by Pugs

[Linked Image]

That looks right tasty for a Maryland meal, you must have some Southern roots. A big piece of fried fatback would hit the spot, but my DR would frown pretty hard.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/01/17
Originally Posted by byc
Texas Pete hot pepper vinegar

It's been many, many, years since I've seen a bottle. Seem to remember it's good sprinkled on pulled pork sammies ???

Other uses ???

Thanks.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/02/17
Originally Posted by rrconductor

[Linked Image]

That looks right tasty for a Maryland meal, you must have some Southern roots. A big piece of fried fatback would hit the spot, but my DR would frown pretty hard.

Dad from Florida and Mom from Texas so a lot of southern food traditions in the family.
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/03/17
Originally Posted by rrconductor

[Linked Image]

Dad from Florida and Mom from Texas so a lot of southern food traditions in the family.

That's explains it, good for you.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/04/17
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by byc
Texas Pete hot pepper vinegar

It's been many, many, years since I've seen a bottle. Seem to remember it's good sprinkled on pulled pork sammies ???

Other uses ???

Thanks.

Denny, real easy to make. Get yourself a single olive oil glass cruet like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Tablecraft-916M-Oil-Vinegar-Cruet/dp/B0001MSDOC/ref=sr_1_1/156-1259522-6988107?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1483559935&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A3759564011

Put your hot peppers in and fill with red wine vinegar.

Most people just do this, at least the cracker Floridians I know.

As for uses? Collard greens, boy!! smile
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/04/17
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Denny, real easy to make. Get yourself a single olive oil glass cruet like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Tablecraft-916M-Oil-Vinegar-Cruet/dp/B0001MSDOC

Hey Greg, will this werk ? grin grin Thanks buddy !!!

[Linked Image]

Posted By: calikooknic Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/04/17
Had it again tonight.

Didn't suck!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/04/17
Tomorrow for me. Yum can' wait.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/05/17
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by local_dirt

https://www.amazon.com/Tablecraft-916M-Oil-Vinegar-Cruet/dp/B0001MSDOC

Hey Greg, will this werk ? grin grin Thanks buddy !!!

[Linked Image]

That'll work. As long as it's a big bowl you're splashin' it in. grin
Posted By: antlers Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by byc
Texas Pete Hot Pepper Vinegar

It's readily available in Southern Colorado. BTW, those little green Tabasco peppers in the bottle are pretty good to eat too.
Posted By: byc Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/07/17
Yup!! Also I just keep adding more vinegar to the peppers.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/07/17
How long does it take to get back up top full flavor after the addition of the fresh vinegar ?
Posted By: byc Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/07/17
Good question Denny. I usually add vinegar when they get to about half full so really no fair gauge from me. The vinegar is always medium hot and spicy, which is what I'm after.

I guess you could also drop the jars into a hot boiling pan of water so as to accelerate the process.

Now you have me thinking!!! wink
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/08/17
My neighbor grows them (Tabasco peppers) as an ornamental around his outdoor kitchen next to the cold cellar occasionally dropping one or two into the jars when they are canning. Adds a little visual as well as a some zing.

Good stuff.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Black Eyed Peas……. - 01/08/17
Originally Posted by byc
Good question Denny. I usually add vinegar when they get to about half full so really no fair gauge from me. The vinegar is always medium hot and spicy, which is what I'm after.

That's what I do.
© 24hourcampfire