Home
Posted By: selmer Free Pig Friday! - 01/06/17
I was working at the office this morning and one of my parishioners who raises hogs called me. They were loading truck and one of his market hogs got injured - couldn't get on to the truck. Instead of putting her down and tossing her in the incinerator, he called me and wondered if I had time to slaughter right away. Of course, I made time. I left with an empty Suburban and returned 35 minutes later with a dressed hog. She weighs 220 lbs dressed out according to my hanging scale. Beautiful pig and the weather is perfect. I can hold my detached garage at 30-38 degrees easily and keep it completely dark. I'll let her hang for a week or so before I get after it. I thought I was done processing for the year - but I guess not. I've already done two whitetails and a forequarter of beef. This will REALLY stuff my freezers!
Posted By: byc Re: Free Pig Friday! - 01/06/17
Outstanding!!! That's a blessing from THE Provider!!

Congrats and definitely share with other locals, as we know you will.

David
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Free Pig Friday! - 01/06/17
Lucky you selmer! I hope that's one of those pigs that yields 80 pounds of bacon. wink

Mike
Posted By: ironbender Re: Free Pig Friday! - 01/06/17
What a deal!
Posted By: rong Re: Free Pig Friday! - 01/08/17
Can't beat that,,
Posted By: Owl Re: Free Pig Friday! - 01/09/17
Time to get the grinder and sausage stuffer ready....

Yum Yum
Posted By: selmer Re: Free Pig Friday! - 01/09/17
Originally Posted by Owl
Time to get the grinder and sausage stuffer ready....

Yum Yum

They're ALWAYS ready. As is the cure mix and smoker!
Posted By: Steve Re: Free Pig Friday! - 01/10/17
Do you scrape or skin?
Posted By: selmer Re: Free Pig Friday! - 01/10/17
I didn't have time to scrape - though I've done it in the past. This was a "come and get it ASAP" situation. She's still hanging in my garage at 35 degrees, waiting to be skinned. Possibly skin today before the temperatures take a dive. Weather has turned here in north Iowa, so schools are closed and the basketball game I was supposed to be at tonight is cancelled. So when I get my pastoral administrative work done at the office, I may go home and skin her. I won't be able to butcher until Saturday at the earliest, more likely on Monday. So I want her not frozen for skinning (which she is right now) and don't care if she's frozen for splitting and breaking into primals on Sunday evening/Monday for butchering.
© 24hourcampfire