Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Summer sausage ?? - 01/16/17
Really getting a summer sausage hunger pangs thing going on but I don't feel like digging out the grinder and all the cleanup afterwards so I'm thinking of buying 12-15 lbs. of 80/20 or 85/15 ground chuck instead and using the ingredients I have on hand.Would a burger grind be OK ?

Whatcha think yes, no ?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Summer sausage ?? - 01/16/17
I like summer sausage in the winter.
Posted By: fink65 Re: Summer sausage ?? - 01/16/17
You need a finer grind for it than burger. Running it 3 times may get it down to a good consistency if you don't have the smaller plate for the smoked sausage grind. I ground my breakfast sausage twice with the burger plate and it was still too coarse for Salami. I bought some pepperjack cheese salami for the football games and was pleasantly surprised how good that is with some crackers and cheese. Now I'm getting hungry and I about foundered on it this weekend.-Mike
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Summer sausage ?? - 01/16/17
YUP !!! Gonna whip me up some dippin' mustard and become a pig !!! grin laugh cool

Note to self: Buy Nabisco saltines !!!

Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Summer sausage ?? - 01/16/17
Thanks for he reply, Sir. Thinking the same as you. Pretty sure I have a 1/8" plate. Gittin' lazy !!! grin

Originally Posted by fink65
You need a finer grind for it than burger. Running it 3 times may get it down to a good consistency if you don't have the smaller plate for the smoked sausage grind. I ground my breakfast sausage twice with the burger plate and it was still too coarse for Salami. I bought some pepperjack cheese salami for the football games and was pleasantly surprised how good that is with some crackers and cheese. Now I'm getting hungry and I about foundered on it this weekend.-Mike
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Summer sausage ?? - 01/17/17
The summer sausage I just made, I used a medium blade. Worked out well,but I didn't stuff it in casings. Just made loafs , let it set over night and smoked it the next day
© 24hourcampfire