Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Red wine selection ? - 02/13/17
Guys, my butcher has ribeyes on sale at fire sale prices so tomorrow I'm gonna blow what's left of my welfare check on several big flats and make some Steak Diane for a little treat 'cause I been a good boy.

Thinking of a red wine shallot reduction (Bordelaise sauce ?) for my SD but I don't know chit about wines. Likker sto' over in the next county has probably the best selection of booze within a 90 minute drive that I know of so if someone would care to throw out a recommendation I'd greatly appreciate it.

TIA.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/13/17
Denny, welcome back! No help on the wine, and by the way how in the world did you get by all those years before the "fire"?

P.S., thinksme, the jury may still be out on the "good boy".
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/13/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

P.S., thinksme, the jury may still be out on the "good boy".

Possibly should change to " haven't been caught" ???
Posted By: byc Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/13/17
Bubba if you're gonna' cook with it then I'd just go with whatever good/better you can find local and invest that 90 minutes in the leftover wine!!

Maybe a good $10 Red Zinfadel Old Vines. On the spicy peppery side and not at all sweet. Not fancy but hearty and consistently good.

Just my nickels worth.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/13/17
Denny, not caught is close enough for me.

Makes me remember Louis Gizzard on "Designing Women", "I'm not any crazier than anyone else, I just got caught at it."

Enjoy that beef!

Originally Posted by byc
Bubba if you're gonna' cook with it then I'd just go with whatever good/better you can find local and invest that 90 minutes in the leftover wine!!

Maybe a good $10 Red Zinfadel Old Vines. On the spicy peppery side and not at all sweet. Not fancy but hearty and consistently good.

Just my nickels worth.

Heard ya on the RZ so may I ask if any ol' red will do ? Might consider a West Virginia wine but they are rumored to be on the sweet side.Should I stay away from sweet ?

Posted By: byc Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/13/17
Hmmmm good question. Not familiar with WV wines. But I would think any decent wine would do. Usually, works for me.

However please do not take my word for it as I do not want to spoil your special pleasure.

Now I want some beef burgandy!!
Thumbs up! RZ it is. Thanks.

Posted By: kingston Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/13/17
For drinking find yourself a nice Rioja Reserva or Grand Reserva. Bodegas Lan makes several nice ones that are particularly good values.

For cooking, a Pinot, Zin, Cab,etc.. depending on what you're trying to do.

WV wines are probably at their best when left in the bottle forever.

Originally Posted by kingston
WV wines are probably at their best when left in the bottle forever.

Ha ! You're no fun. grin I do, however, have some properly aged butterscotch 'shine that's just soooo far beyond good. cool
Posted By: hanco Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/20/17
Gallo Zinfandel
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/20/17
Columbia Crest H3 Cabernet.

Denny, this has been one of my favorites for years. Comes from an area of Washington State called Horse Heaven Hills. That's what the H3 stands for.

Very predictable, consistent weather produces great wine. Much better than CA wines at a lot more $$$'s, IMHO.

Posted By: LFD Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/20/17
Trader Joe's cannot bet the quality as well as price
Posted By: EdM Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/20/17
I was a serious wino (a cellar with a rolling 300 bottles) of really nice reds years ago when I lived/grew up 50 miles from the Napa/Sonoma Valleys. That said, year after year, Rosemount Shiraz never let me down. Inexpensive too.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/21/17
The H3 is consistently good. Any of the Columbia Crest Grand Estates reds are very good, and a couple bucks cheaper than the H3.
If you can find a 2014 Grand Estates Cab Sauv, you are into an exceptional wine. I've put in a couple cases of this.
Posted By: byc Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/21/17
Originally Posted by EdM
I was a serious wino (a cellar with a rolling 300 bottles) of really nice reds years ago when I lived/grew up 50 miles from the Napa/Sonoma Valleys. That said, year after year, Rosemount Shiraz never let me down. Inexpensive too.

Same here. I still have some '90 bottles from my visits out West. Sure hope they have not turned on me.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by EdM

Yep, I "was" like Ed, before we immigrated to Canada !

Good Barossa or McLaren Vale Shiraz, or Margaret River or Coonawarra Cabernet are the ducks nutz !

Good wines from these premier regions of Australia, rival & some even surpass Napa Valley premiums.
Posted By: kingston Re: Red wine selection ? - 02/22/17
I've come to favor wines from across the pond— France, Spain and Italy. Domestic wines crafted with traditionally European characteristics tend to be rarer and thus typically less of a value. To each their own, but it's my position that oak and fruit should be mere fleeting notes. Too often domestic wines become a cacophony of one dimensional flavors. Exceptions are exceptional.
Trader Joe's Shiraz is my favorite red wine.

And, it's affordable!

Virgil B.
© 24hourcampfire