Home
Posted By: ironbender Bread Flour - 02/22/17
Is there really much of a difference? Can they be used interchangeably?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Bread Flour - 02/22/17
I'll ask the wife, she is the baker.

She says all purpose works well.
Posted By: byc Re: Bread Flour - 02/22/17
Mike I think you should buy one of each type/brand and conduct the first ever AK Pepsi challenge.

Get back to us quickly please!!! wink

Thanks...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Bread Flour - 02/22/17
Bread flour typically rises better and is tougher than all purpose. I've used bread flour and all purpose for the same bread recipes/pizza crusts and I generally prefer all purpose.

Depends on what kind of bread you are making.

Also, I'm assuming you are asking if there is a difference in the various brands of bread flour and not the difference between bread flour and all purpose.

If so, I've not seen any difference in the different brands of bread flour.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bread Flour - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by ironbender
Is there really much of a difference? Can they be used interchangeably?

yes, the flour you use has to fit the product you are making. It's all about the gluten.
I use bread flour for most breads. I want a high gluten content to give the dough strength, elasticity and a good rise.
For some breads, I will use half AP flour and half Bread flour. For cakes and pastry, the flour should be AP or even Cake flour. Most recipes will tell you what they recommend.
Until you know what you are doing, follow the directions. With 'sperience, you can call the shots, since you know where you are going, and understand the chemistry.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Bread Flour - 02/22/17
Sam, tell us about your breads.

The mostes thing I know about good bread is, I like it too much.

I do know that, unlike stews, soups, and dishes that can be different each time, baking is a precise art.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Bread Flour - 02/22/17
I use AP for baguettes and flat bread. Sometimes for pizza crust, sometimes I use bread flour for pizza crust.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bread Flour - 02/22/17
I mostly use the bread machine <horrors> for bread. Usually sub some whole wheat for some white flour. We get bread flour for the machine.

I've used AP when short on bread flour and difficult to tell the difference. Also, I add gluten to my breads.

I've heard that the bread flour is milled differenter.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Bread Flour - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Bread flour typically rises better and is tougher than all purpose.

German chocolate cake recipe that I have calls for BF so I did a quick search which supported the above.

How to make bread flour:

http://www.mynewoldschool.com/2010/05/03/make-your-own-bread-flour/
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bread Flour - 02/23/17
Wabigoon, I bake less these days, as I am often by myself in North Fl, and none of my baking stuff is at my Miami place.
I have been making bread for 60 years or so. Everything from French baguettes and Country loaves to flat breads and standard Pullman style sandwich bread.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Bread Flour - 02/23/17
Sam, and all, the trouble I have with bread, good bread all the more so, is, I eat it.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bread Flour - 02/23/17
Good link Denny. Thanks.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Bread Flour - 02/23/17
It is amazing what you can learn on the Camp Fire.
© 24hourcampfire