Home
Posted By: wabigoon Caviar? - 03/22/17
Roe, fish eggs, last week I was cleaning fish loaded with eggs.
Northern pike, and perch, are the eggs good to eat, and how would you serve them?
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Caviar? - 03/22/17
Batter and fry like fish.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Caviar? - 03/22/17
I'll have to ask, as I've never dined on them, how do they taste?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Caviar? - 03/22/17
Used to eat fish eggs as a kid. Grandmother would flour dust and fry. OK,not great. Real caviar, very salty, very fishy. Not for me at all.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Caviar? - 03/22/17
Like anchovies ?
You shloud'a come along Denny, I'll bet you could'a whooped up a batch real tasty like.

And, it was more fun than a whole balar of monkeys catchen' them.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Caviar? - 03/22/17
Sounds like a grand time by all !
Posted By: duck911 Re: Caviar? - 03/22/17
When I was a child, every year my grandmother would serve what everyone told me was "poor man's caviar" at Christmas.

My grandmother was a little poor and a little eccentric, which I really didn't understand at a young age. I loved her poor man's caviar though, on crackers, little toasts, etc. I thought it was COOL eating caviar!

I was in my 20's when I mentioned that caviar to my mother. She laughed, then turned my world upside down with the truth.

It was canned chopped black olives, that my grandmother would further mince, then serve in a bowl with a tiny spoon.

I still feel duped.
duck, send me a PM, and we can have a nice long chat about the easter bunny, and the tooth fairy. (smile)
Posted By: duck911 Re: Caviar? - 03/22/17
What are you implying?? haha!
I recall my sister telling us she used the crust/heel of a bread loaf turned in with peanut butter in front of my nephew, her son. He was a bit shocked, but a wiser if sadder lad.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Caviar? - 03/23/17
Lots of folks make ikura here and it is not bad at all. The eggs are run through a screen to separate them and brined for about 15 minutes in a very cold, salty brine.

Different salmon produce very different results. Chum (dog, or now keta) produce the biggest eggs and are generally the most prized. Pinks are a bit behind them, then kings, while reds and silvers bring up the rear.

Chum eggs are a bit too big for my taste. There are lots of other ways they are used, too.

Ikura mixed in with eggs and scrambled is pretty good.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Caviar? - 03/23/17
We make ikura pretty much every year. As mentioned, use a screen to separate the eggs, and pouring some boiling water over the skein helps shrink it and separate the eggs. We use salt and lemon juice. Salt to taste and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

We mostly eat them on crackers or toasted bagels. I'll also top an omelet with them.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Caviar? - 03/23/17
with rice , chopped walnuts and raw eggs ,gets all mixed or side dish.

P.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Caviar? - 03/23/17
I have been known to spit salmon eggs out at the other workers during eggtake. They get grossed out when I put them in my mouth and then they REALLY get grossed out when they get shot out at them. Good times!

Does that count?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Caviar? - 03/24/17
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I have been known to spit salmon eggs out at the other workers during eggtake. They get grossed out when I put them in my mouth and then they REALLY get grossed out when they get shot out at them. Good times!

Does that count?

It never counts unless they swallow...
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Caviar? - 03/24/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Like salty little bb's filled with aquarium water. Not my thing!

Mike
Posted By: byc Re: Caviar? - 03/24/17
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Mike

No fat!!?? No flavor!! No Mikey!! wink
Posted By: blanket Re: Caviar? - 03/24/17
you guys are too picky on your vittles, it is all good
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Caviar? - 03/24/17
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Mike

No fat!!?? No flavor!! No Mikey!! wink

There is a LOT of fat in them, lots of protein, and they do not have to be salty. And judging by the size description he has had seriously shrunken ones or they were immature and those always lack flavor...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Caviar? - 03/24/17
Ive heard of some people curing them and hanging them on a hook.

Trade them for a fish!
Posted By: EdM Re: Caviar? - 03/24/17
I had it from sturgeon growing up on the Sacramento Delta and many years later whilst living/working on the Caspian Sea. It all sucked for my tastes. There must be better out there.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Caviar? - 03/25/17
Do not try to make caviar with gar eggs. They are poison. Lots of paddlefish eggs sold here to make caviar. Never tried it. miles
© 24hourcampfire