Home
Posted By: vbshootinrange low carb. soup ideas? - 04/17/17
Have about two-three cups of left over roasted chicken that I want to use for making low carb. chicken soup.

I can't use noodles, rice, potatoes, or carrots.

These are all high in carbs.

So, I'm thinking chicken, broth, celery, and maybe some cabbage, and diced chives ?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Virgil B.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 04/17/17
Onions, lentils, kale, collard greens, yellow squash, leeks, parsnips, turnips.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 04/17/17
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Any ideas? Thanks!

I'd go with the chicken, broth, celery, cabbage, and diced chives ?
Posted By: Owl Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 04/17/17
Diabetic ?
Posted By: Owl Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 04/17/17
From Diabetes.org

Chicken and Vegetable Soup

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
2 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 cup mushrooms, diced
32 ounces fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried thyme

Instructions
Add the oil to a large soup pot or dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear for 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.

Add the carrots, celery, and mushrooms to the same pot and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients and add the chicken back to the pot. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the pot and shred or cut up. Add the chicken back to the pot; stir.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 04/17/17
Chop into bite/soup size pieces your favorite veggies, toss in bowl with pepper, olive oil, a tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, and a pinch of oregano. Spread on cookie sheet in single layer, roast in well preheated 425 degree oven for 25 mins or so, till toasty brown, turning once during that time.

Meanwhile saute some finely chopped garlic on medium low heat in olive oil in soup pot for about 3 mins, not to brown, but rather just to sweat the garlic, then add chicken broth, a couple of bay leaves, and a pinch of thyme, simmer on low for 20 mins. At this point add roasted veggies and leftover chicken or meat of your choice, season to taste with salt and more pepper (I skip the pepper at this point and add a pinch of Peperoncino). Simmer on low for another 10 minutes. At this point I may also add some hand torn greens as I hate overcooked greens.

Friday nights' contained oven roasted zucchini, red peppers, sweet onions, and tomatoes that I seeded before roasting, and chopped after roasting, being careful to keep the juice and the oil from the tomatoes, as it is amazing in soup.

I serve freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a topping with this particular combination of veggies.

The combination of roasted vegetables is only limited by your likes and dislikes.

Posted By: byc Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 04/17/17
I'd go to Five Guys!!

Sorry but when the day rolls around that I can't have a few chopped carrots and potatoes then just take me to my Creator!
I'm on a low carb. diet.

I've lost 23 lbs since the first of the year, so It's working!

What I ended up putting it my soup;

2 cups roasted, diced chicken

2 diced turnips

3 stocks dice celery

3 cans chicken broth

3 Tbsp. bacon bits

1 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. Jane's crazy seasoning

1 tsp. green Tobasco

1 pinch sage.

It actually turned out pretty darn GOOD!

Thanks for the ideas!

Virgil B.
Forgot to add;

My blood sugar level dropped over 20 points on my recent Dr. visit.

I was borderline diabetic before.

This low carb. diet is making me healthier, and I might live longer!

Virgil B.

Posted By: Owl Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 04/18/17
Congrats to you Virgil !
Posted By: local_dirt Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 04/18/17
Win-Win. Good on ya.
Another "forgot to add"

I put one "bunch" of fresh chives, diced up in my soup.

They have less carbs than onions, and taste very similar.

Thanks again to everyone, and for the congrats!

Virgil B.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: low carb. soup ideas? - 05/03/17
There are plenty of great low carb recipes here - https://cookeatshare.com/popular/blaine-low-carb-recipes

I managed to lose quite a few pounds just using the recipes there and they are all pretty good tasting.
© 24hourcampfire