Home
Posted By: Tarkio How to Tone Down Spicey Food - 09/30/19
I made some chili the other night. I am a big fan of spice, the family not so much.

The latest batch I ended up with a bit too much pepper.

What's the best way to tone this down? What do I add to soften up the spiciness?
Posted By: pal Re: How to Tone Down Spicey Food - 09/30/19
Originally Posted by Tarkio
...What do I add to soften up the spiciness?

You must dilute it by adding more of the other ingredients.
Wife said add sugar, if it's too salty put a peeled potato in for about 15 minutes.

She again said add sugar as needed for the heat.
Dairy products and bread help my family.
Dollop of sour cream with each serving.
There is nothing you can really do to cut the capsaicin, other than doubling (or more) the liquid.
I do sugar as well.
We typically add cheese to our chili. Sometimes sourcream and that helps. Experimented with the sugar on my daughter's chili last night. Didn't quite get it done.

I have added more tomato sauce and that obviously helps some.

Keep the ideas coming.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: How to Tone Down Spicey Food - 09/30/19
Well, while the admission here that it wound up with a bit too much pepper can be construed as an act of great bravery; to then ask for suggestions as to how to tone it down might be considered character suicide.
I have a pot going now that may need some help with the heat.
Capsacian is an acid, that's why it burns. To neutralize an acid add a base. You can add small amounts of baking soda to tamp down the burn. The sodium will add to the saltiness of the chili so go slow and keep that in mind.

I don't salt my chili until I've balanced the heat for this reason.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Capsacian is an acid, that's why it burns. To neutralize an acid add a base. You can add small amounts of baking soda to tamp down the burn. The sodium will add to the saltiness of the chili so go slow and keep that in mind.

I don't salt my chili until I've balanced the heat for this reason.

Are you sure about that?
It was my understanding , however since you asked I googled it and I see it is actually a base. That is a bit confusing since the soda does neutralize the burn. I've used that method several times when I overdo the spice and it's too hot for others in my family.

You can proceed with the chemistry lesson if you'd like (seriously); I'm always open to learning something.
I'm not a chemist, but I had become satisfied that it was a fat soluble substance and that's why something like milk, ice cream or sour cream helped. Rather than the literal cooling effect it was the ability of those things to break the attachment of the capsaicin to the pain receptors. Something like that anyway.
© 24hourcampfire