Home
Posted By: 1minute What is this bird up to? - 05/14/21
Goshawk out the back door. A frequent visitor to Cookie's bird feeder, as I think their main menu items are fowl. Rare to see them in the summer months as they mostly forage on our wintering quail. Don't know if he was warming up or drying out in the morning sun. Wasn't packing anything in his talons that he may have been hiding. Either way, a neat pose.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Have a good one,
You must be mistaken. According to many experts, hawks and owls don't eat game birds or other small game as a regular part of their diet. As for me, I've seen more than enough hawks and owls and could live happily if there were far fewer of them and more game birds/animals.
Posted By: LouisB Re: What is this bird up to? - 05/15/21
Blackheart

So what are they purported to eat, greens and granola.
Posted By: 44mc Re: What is this bird up to? - 05/15/21
that is a good pic.
Overheating is usually what halts a hawk's pursuit of prey. After a vigorous flight, hawks will sometimes use this posture to cool off. Maybe this is the explanation?
Overheating is usually what halts a hawk's pursuit of prey. After a vigorous flight, hawks will sometimes use this posture to cool off. Maybe this is the explanation?
Posted By: 1minute Re: What is this bird up to? - 05/25/21
GrouseChaser:

Sounds reasonable. When they come through the neighborhood, they don't just glide along. Usually have the peddle to the metal down near the ground.
Posted By: Cascade Re: What is this bird up to? - 06/23/21
I dunno what the bird is doing - but that's a great photo! smile
Great photo!!!
© 24hourcampfire