Home
Hello. We spent a very short couple days at Yellowstone Nat'l Park this past weekend. The weather was largely terrible, mostly rain and snow, but the sun did shine just a bit and I came away with a few images.

They're not the best, but all I could muster during the very little periods of usable light.

I took many more images, but only had time to process a few this evening. A few coyote pups, elk, wolf and a black bear.

Thanks for looking laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/rdebernardi/0J1T0483.jpg[/img]
Nice, what camera did you use?
Thanks.

The camera is a Canon 1D Mark III. Lens is a 500mm F/4.0L-IS.
Very nice detailed pics....
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

M
very nice!
Originally Posted by VTi
Thanks.

The camera is a Canon 1D Mark III. Lens is a 500mm F/4.0L-IS.

You're not kidding around are you?

Here is a few I took up there on our annual mother's day picnic trip. Hope it's not a hijack.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
The camera is our Canon S2is.
Great pics Rob!
Thanks everyone for the nice words about my images laugh

Partagas -- Not a hijack at all. The more YNP images the better laugh Where did you end up catching all those rams together?

On the northfork highway east of the east entrance.
Rob, were you on a tripod for any or all of those or are you able to shoot at 500mm freehand?

Any more to share?

J
Beautiful images, VTi !
Awesome pics!

One of my favorite places too.

Mike
Thanks for the compliments guys. laugh

JasonK - I shoot about half the time handheld, and half tripod mounted on a gimbal head. The 500/4 really is an easy lens to handhold, just not for very long periods at a time. Many times I just kneel down and shoot of my knee, just as I would with a rifle. This works great if I can keep shutter speeds above 1/500sec or so.

Here's a few more for those interested:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The top pic of the backlight elk is very captive to my eye. Sehr Gut!
I agree! I think that one is outstanding!!

M
Thanks! Yea, the backlit elk image was kind of a fluke honestly. I was just going to pass right by, since the lighting was so unfavorable from the viewing location. The person I was with said "I think he looks kind of cool, backlit like that. Might make for an interesting picture."

So I can't really take credit. Only thing I did was intentionally underexpose the elk (-1.5 stops I believe) so the back-lighting was more pronounced in the image.

Thanks for the comments. I have a 16x24" print on the way now, we'll see how it turns out.
Great Pictures cool
Originally Posted by VTi
Thanks for the compliments guys. laugh

[Linked Image]

Ahhhh....Ahhhhh....Ahhhhhhhh....I did miss this the first time!!!

A really SPECTACULAR shot again!!!!!!

SUPER cool grin cool grin cool

I SEE what you mean.... wink
The picture of the laying elk has the grass in the fore and back ground out of focus, the animal and grass in focus along with a bush that appears to be in the fore ground.
What am I seeing??
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
The picture of the laying elk has the grass in the fore and back ground out of focus, the animal and grass in focus along with a bush that appears to be in the fore ground.
What am I seeing??

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to, but I think I know.

We're NOT talking about the backlight elk picture, but the other one correct?

On that picture there was a small hill I was shooting over, and that's the extremely out of focus grass in the foreground. Then there's a small depression in the terrain (out of sight of course), and the elk is lying on the other side of the small valley.

That severly out of focus grass in the foreground is almost right in front of the camera, which is why it looks that way.

Is that what you were referring to?
What am I seeing??

... See my above response, but in reading it again I'm not sure what you're asking me?
Elevation changes in the forefround.

Background blur=Bokeh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

And just for fun,
http://www.lensbabies.com/

Not sure if that helps I think I was posting the same time as VTi.
Originally Posted by VTi
What am I seeing??

... See my above response, but in reading it again I'm not sure what you're asking me?

You answered, that was the picture I was looking at.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/rdebernardi/Web_0J1T0859.jpg

The bush in the right of the pic appears to be at about the same distance as the blurry grass in the foreground but is in focus while the fore and back ground grass are out of focus. For some reason it, until I now see it as a hill in front, looked odd to me. My eye was expecting the grass in front of the animal to be in focus also. The "bush or tree" in the right front is playing with my eye......
Stetson that "lensbabies" looks like it would give a very similar effect to what I thought I was seeing. wink
Originally Posted by VTi
What am I seeing??

You answered, that was the picture I was looking at.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/rdebernardi/Web_0J1T0859.jpg

The bush in the right of the pic appears to be at about the same distance as the blurry grass in the foreground but is in focus while the fore and back ground grass are out of focus. For some reason it, until I now see it as a hill in front, looked odd to me. My eye was expecting the grass in front of the animal to be in focus also. The "bush or tree" in the right front is playing with my eye......

Yea, that's correct. THat tree/bush is actually right at the elk's side, not in the foreground.
© 24hourcampfire