Home
Posted By: tjm10025 editing software for Mac - 01/30/11

Guys:

Looking for some software for Internet usage, via Mac.

Basic editing, cropping, resizing, etc., for point-and-shoot camera work.

Anybody have a recommendation? Thanks.

- Tom
What's wrong with iPhoto for that sort of thing?
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: editing software for Mac - 01/30/11

MT:

iPhoto will let you crop, play a bit with color and reduce red-eye, but precious little else.

- Tom
Have you looked at Photoshop Elements? I have not used it, but I would bet it will do all the basic functions you need.

I would read up on it and see if it suits your needs.

I do a lot of editing with iphoto, including resizing, enhancing and a few other things. It's not the full meal deal, but it's as much as what you said you wanted. I can see where a person would quickly outgrow it. I work on both pc and mac and have photoshop on the pc. I like it way better than iphoto, it's more versatile and I know I will never be able to do all of what photoshop will do. I'm pretty sure photoshop has a mac version.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: editing software for Mac - 01/30/11

MT:

Yeah, I guess I would consider iPhoto to be somewhat less than basic. (How could I expect more, when it came free on the 'puter?) I'll look at Photoshop. Thanks.

- Tom
Posted By: Big Stick Re: editing software for Mac - 01/30/11
LR3................
Photoshop is great, trust me. I use it everyday. And, yes, it is Mac compatible. In fact, it works better on a Mac than PC as it is more of a Mac program.

The downside is the price. You'll be dropping around $600 for a program that does way more than you will probably ever need. I work on several thousand images a year and I probably don't use a tenth of what the software is capable of doing.

On the other hand, Photoshop Elements runs under $100. Just boils down to what you think you actually need.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: editing software for Mac - 01/31/11

Originally Posted by Big Stick
LR3................

Hmmm. $300 list. That's easier to swallow than $600, and if that's what you're using, that's a compelling hint.

Your kung-fu is strong with digital photography.

- Tom

My fear is, I'm going to sell a couple of rifles to buy a better camera to get full use out of Photoshop.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: editing software for Mac - 01/31/11
Originally Posted by tjm10025

LR3................

Hmmm. $300 list. That's easier to swallow than $600, and if that's what you're using, that's a compelling hint.

Your kung-fu is strong with digital photography.

- Tom

I'm a JPEG SOOC Fan and hate post production,on the average.

I bought LR3 for my IMac,not long ago online and it were 60 clams...................

I bought LR3 for my IMac,not long ago online and it were 60 clams...................

Down from $300 on the Adobe website. Now, there's a street price.

It's not a hard copy,but rather an upload of the Program proper.

I think highly of it for storage and organization...coupla things I am largely no good at..............(grin)
Posted By: STA Re: editing software for Mac - 01/31/11
Down load The Aperture App for you mac...thinking its about 79 bucks at the App store...

Its nice having a Mac!
link: http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/
Shoulda Mac'd many moons ago and never won't not make the PC mistake again..................
Whats nice about a Mac is that it JUST WORKS no PC bullsh!t... It just works...
Wow! I had not even thought of Aperture or Lightroom. I had largely forgotten about Aperture and had really only considered Lightroom as a companion to PS. After a little reading, I realize now they both do more than I thought. Those look like some options. Guess I should pay more attention to what's going on in the industry!

@STA, no kidding! I'm with you. I started on Macs and once bought a PC due to price. Because I largely only use computers for imaging and audio applications, the PC got dumped pretty quickly. The Mac workflow between things like ILife software, Photoshop and Avid is just too seamless. (Though, as I recall, Avid is no longer cross-platform, PC only now...who's idea was that?! Guess I gotta brush up on Final Cut.)
Ahhhhh, Lightroom. That was the name I could not think of. I know there's a free trial on line.

I have the PS elements program. I'm not very proficient at it, but there are many tutorials on youtube.
Photoshop Elements is a stripped down version of PS for us commoners. It will do a whole lot more than most of us will every use. However, it has a steep learning curve and isn't for everyone. To do much with it requires a book or two as the helps aren't that great. They tell you what the buttons do, but nothing at all about what you can do with them to improve or edit the pic.
That said, I use it all the time and have done a LOT with it.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: editing software for Mac - 02/01/11

Well, okay. Amazon sells LR3 student/teacher edition for $79.99. My wife's a teacher, so that's the way to go.

Thanks, all.

- Tom
I'm a long time Mac user and have been running LR for about 3 years. I like it a lot and was lucky enough for work to send me to the D65 workshop, which I highly recommend as well. Shoot RAW and rock on.
Posted By: crawfish Re: editing software for Mac - 02/01/11
LR3 is well worth the money if you really want to get into the digital world. I use LR3 and PSE8 makes tracking and cataloging a breeze not to mention the editing aspect.
Posted By: crawfish Re: editing software for Mac - 02/01/11
BTY I purchased my 5DII to get into HD movies. Have that camera for 6 months now and not once has it made a movie. ?????????
Pete
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: editing software for Mac - 02/01/11
Originally Posted by crawfish
LR3 is well worth the money if you really want to get into the digital world.

Slippery slope, crawfish.

Years ago, I was doing 35mm B&W, and had my own darkroom setup. Lots of fun. Ran out of wall space for my 8X10 prints. One day got rid of all my gear and tossed stacks and stacks of old prints. (Kept the negatives. Don't know why. I don't have darkroom equipment anymore.) Now, even Kodachrome is a memory.

But digital is calling to me. I have a cheap point and shoot, but I'm reading up, and one of these days, I'll spring for a camera that will do on my computer screen what a Kodachrome slide used to do with a projector and screen.

You know what hasn't changed, though? I still can't afford a Leica M-series.

- Tom
Posted By: crawfish Re: editing software for Mac - 02/02/11
I posted on here a long time ago that I'd keep shooting my film cameras(I still have every Canon camera I ever purchased)until such time that digital met or exceeded the quality of Kodachrome 64. I feel that there are still things that KC64 does much better as a matter of fact but they can be readily replicated with powerful editing programs like LR3 and PSE. BTY PSE9 is a real killer. Doing the 30 day free trial right now. I also had a wet darkroom back in the day. Still have all my gear. My "darkroom" now is a dedicated computer and printers that are only used for photo work. The equipment has surely changed but the art hasn't. It's all about seeing light not just looking.
Posted By: Stetson Re: editing software for Mac - 02/04/11

Well, okay. Amazon sells LR3 student/teacher edition for $79.99. My wife's a teacher, so that's the way to go.

Thanks, all.

- Tom

If you get the student/teacher discount you can pick up a full blown version of Photoshop CS5 Extended for under $200 and add LR3 for a few bucks more. I'm not sure how that works with Amazon but if you buy direct from Adobe you can just email the documentaion they want and it all goes very smooth. Just remember if you buy CS5 or any full Ps suite that you have to specify Mac or PC. LR3 and PS elements 9 work on either platform.
Originally Posted by crawfish
LR3 is well worth the money if you really want to get into the digital world.

Slippery slope, crawfish.

Years ago, I was doing 35mm B&W, and had my own darkroom setup. Lots of fun. Ran out of wall space for my 8X10 prints. One day got rid of all my gear and tossed stacks and stacks of old prints. (Kept the negatives. Don't know why. I don't have darkroom equipment anymore.) Now, even Kodachrome is a memory.

But digital is calling to me. I have a cheap point and shoot, but I'm reading up, and one of these days, I'll spring for a camera that will do on my computer screen what a Kodachrome slide used to do with a projector and screen.

You know what hasn't changed, though? I still can't afford a Leica M-series.

- Tom

A scanner that will handle negatives will put all your photos on a single external drive or on CD's. No more clutter. Warning: it's not a fast process. Allot a winter for the job.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: editing software for Mac - 02/17/11
I've boxes and boxes of prints/negatives that I need to go through.

Some rainy day..................
Don't we all.
Trouble is,as digital improves,I've less and less interest in opening them cans of worms...despite their housing some of the greatest memories of my life.

Too easy to open the front door and go shoot something killer,to get sidetracked in such a manner...............
If all you want is Internet and up to 8x10 pictures, iPhoto is just fine.

This was all done on iPhoto and really not much to complain about.

If you are an author and publisher you need Photoshop and Light room.

[Linked Image]
You are at the mercy of a bottom rung P&S in Program Mode,which is hurdles far separate the crux.

I prefer DPP to iPhoto for post production,but dig iPhoto as a storage means.

LR3 smokes 'em both and ugly style..............
© 24hourcampfire