Home
I'm really new to the photography world and all that it holds. Northerndave, aka my hubby, posted about the new camera purchase we have recently made which we took on our most recent trip to the BWCA. As we were making our way back to civilization on one of the last lakes, there was a loon up ahead. I was snapping pictures and suddenly found myself holding my camera down and just "watching" what was before me. Dave was in the back of the canoe whispering "snap another, snap another" so I did.

With much encouragement from some of my very close friends, I entered a loon picture in our County Fair. Judging was last night and finally after a long grueling day, I was able to make it to see my prize. I was holding my breath for simply a participation ribbon, but to my surprise I got a blue ribbon and a Grand Champion.

Although I don't know how the judging came down to who got what, I am just tickled with the ribbons I received. I haven't participated in a County Fair since I was 18 yrs old and that was always, every year, chickens-ducks-rabbits-sheep and once in awhile I won a State Fair trip.

So long story short...here is my picture that I entered and a picture of ribbons I won. I thank my friends for all the encouragement and my hubby for the camera and all the help. I have much to learn but am so very excited for what is ahead.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd also like to thank everyone who helped us in our search for our camera gear. All the comments/suggestions are very much appreciated.

Pam
Wy to go lady. Loons are a great great photo subject.
Like I tell my daughter....AttaBoyGirl!!!
Very nice! Congratulations!
Pam....EXCELLENT!!!

Congrats!

You gotta know anyone from Minesoda would love that pic!
sweet! rock on!
Congrats to you!
As Pam said, thank you guys for the help getting us started. She's trying to learn stuff on her own and what ever I can learn I in turn do my best to explain to her.

This is a great hobby for Pam and it was a lot of fun seeing her do her thing at the little county fair. She got such nice compliments from so many people.

I think she's hooked.

Congrats!

Keep snappin'. smile
Good Job Pam! That is WAY cool and a great pic too!
Awesome job! wink

-Wendy
Pam-

That's wonderful, congrats!!!
Congrats!! smile
Congrats! That is a fantastic capture too!!!
Again, that is a great shot. My wife has gotten heavily into wildlife photography. I used to think one had a good shot if a highlight was visible in the subject's eye. I now realize that with the great images, one can look into the eye.

I found one the wife got up in Alaska. They came out to challenge the seaplane as we were about to head out. Mom and the kid.
[Linked Image]
Very nice shot and congratulations!!!
Originally Posted by 1minute
I found one the wife got up in Alaska. They came out to challenge the seaplane as we were about to head out. Mom and the kid.
[Linked Image]

Wow that's sharp!!!

I hope that Pam and I have another opportunity at range with these neat birds. looks like you had very nice lighting and angle. I saved your image but the camera properties were lost or at least not viewable so I was unable to see aperture, shutter, lens details for the photo.

Very nice.

Pam's photo was with less light obviously. It was however a nice time of day at 10-ish AM with good camera angle, camera facing north... It was really a gray cloudy sky though. Threatening misty rain off & on.

She was at f5 1/250 exp time, 105mm

Subject was probably only 10 ft from the lens.

Dave,

Pam should get a Grand Champion ribbon each and every day for putting up with you. laugh laugh
Dammit Scott!!

I'd go broke in grand champion ribbon backpay!! We're damn near at 20 years you know!!

lol!!

Originally Posted by SKane
Dave,

Pam should get a Grand Champion ribbon each and every day for putting up with you. laugh laugh

Wow Scott, you do understand what I go thru every day.

Thank you for the recognition. grin
Again, that is a great shot. My wife has gotten heavily into wildlife photography. I used to think one had a good shot if a highlight was visible in the subject's eye. I now realize that with the great images, one can look into the eye.

[Linked Image]

Now that is a beautiful picture!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by mrsnortherndave

Wow Scott, you do understand what I go thru every day.

Prayers sent. grin
Thank you. I'll pass that along to the wife. I'd have to get on the wife's PC to get the details on that photo. She shoots a Canon EOS 50 D and stores the largest images possible in RAW formats. They're about 22 megabytes each, and can easily go to poster size. Despite encouragement, she's not done any entries or marketing. She has given a couple hundred images to Oregon Dept Fish & Wildl., and they've used several on their website, in their print media, and on some of thier promotional rigs. A great hobby that has given her the patience of Job.

One could tie some intersting flies if he ever found one of those birds pressed in the road.
We just learned of Pam's camera being able to record Jpeg+RAW as an option in image quality menu. I'm sure most DSLR's let you do this, like I said we're learning. grin
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

Wow that's sharp!!!

I know that 1minute and Mrs. 1minute have at least one Canon "L" series lens. I suspect that this might be a picture taken through one...

These lenses really do provide exceptional image quality.

Here is another Mrs. 1minute photo (which might also be from an "L" series lens, in any case a great photo!
[Linked Image]

I think you need to outfit with a complete set of "L" series lenses, Dave. wink

John
That cat photo is awesome too, wow.

Congrats Pam, way to go!
One could tie some intersting flies if he ever found one of those birds pressed in the road.

LOL!!!

I'm working out of town and just cruisin the fire in my hotel room and came across this GEM! laugh
Congradulation's on the photo! I see you have it framed. In our county fair it can't be framed. Can be matted I think but not over 16x20.
Congrats, that's awesome!

I love the detail of the red eye, and the feathers in the neckline.

Now let's see if you can immitate a loon's call...? wink
Thanks for dragging this back up Rooster, I almost forgot I started this thread, with Northern Dave's help of course.

Yeah our fair paper said matted and framed, no smaller than 5x7. So I did the loon picture in an 8x10. A friend of mine loved it so much that she asked for one the same to hang in her salon.

Immitate a loon, oh heaven's no and I won't even try. grin This picture taking has my attention when I have the time, so the loon calls will take back seat. LOL.

I'm working on some more pictures for the fair this year. I took some over the weekend and Dave posted in the photography threads under "Frosty Morning". It's fun to walk around and just snap the pictures.
© 24hourcampfire