Home
Posted By: HughW Introduction and a few shots - 01/05/13
I am new to this forum and got bit with the photo bug a few years back. There is some very nice work posted and I thought I would share a few I managed over this past year.

Spring 2012 - early arrivals back to Edmonton area

[Linked Image]

Red Necked Grebe

[Linked Image]

Chickadee

[Linked Image]

Spring Coyote in an Industrial land area within the city

[Linked Image]

Edmonton City Centre at night

[Linked Image]

Hope you enjoy.

Welcome Hugh, you have some great images. The Chickadee is my favorite. I would shoot the Coyote with something else.

Hi Hugh, I am fairly new to the site myself but it's easy to recognize a darned good photographer when I see one! Nice work sir!

Wildlife is probably the hardest subject to shoot...I have tried them all, from one end of the spectrum to the other and I have complete respect for people that have the patience and skill to produce a good nature or wildlife shot!
Welcome! I'm lovin' the chickadee picture! Nice shots and thank you for sharing!
Welcome and thumbs up on the Chickadee.
Posted By: HughW Re: Introduction and a few shots - 01/11/13
Thanks folks. At times we get some great photo opportunties on a few small wetlands in Industrial areas that are not frequented by many people. Here are a couple of American Pelican shots from last fall

[Linked Image]

This one the light and angle was just right only for this frame

[Linked Image]
Nice shots and amazing birds there. Our best locale here is the city sewer ponds. Unfortunately, they fence us out.

Until I actually saw it, I would not have believed they could soar in circles with essentially no wing movement for hours. Give them some thermals and they can circle from one horizon to the other with nary stroke.
Posted By: HughW Re: Introduction and a few shots - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by 1minute
Until I actually saw it, I would not have believed they could soar in circles with essentially no wing movement for hours. Give them some thermals and they can circle from one horizon to the other with nary stroke.

Once they start to soar on thermals they can go very high. Occassionally we go to a large shallow lake that has breeding colony and can get some flight shots. Here are a few for you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Great shots! What are u using for gear to get these?
Posted By: HughW Re: Introduction and a few shots - 01/14/13
Originally Posted by harv3589
Great shots! What are u using for gear to get these?

Harv I saw on your other thread a question on lenses. I use Canon gear (7D and a 30D) and have a bit of a variety for glass that sees use. My primary two go to lenses are the 100/400 F4.5 and a 24/105. Here are a few shots with different glass.

Weed seed head with 100 mm macro

[Linked Image]

Flower 100mm macro

[Linked Image]

Honey bee on russian sage - 100/400 cropped

[Linked Image]

Woodpecker - 400mm 5.6 L

[Linked Image]

Amazon - Red headed vulture in flight - 100/400 at 400. I find this lens easier to use for birds in flight shots

[Linked Image]

General scenery - 24/105 (also the city night shot at the start of the thread)

[Linked Image]

nice work sir..
Welcome Hugh! I like most the chickadee and macro seed head. Very nice colors on the twised bud with the water drops. I need to get a macro lens or some extension tubes.
© 24hourcampfire