Home
Posted By: northern_dave coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
Wife found something to shoot last night, finally getting to play around with her new cam. It was evening light, not the best conditions but she was happy to get out of the house, winter has been too damn long.

We heard of some swans in the area, going to try to find them tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The girl bird photographed better than ole green head, he was tough.

Posted By: mudhen Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
Love good photos of waterfowl in breeding plumage. Find me a couple of pintails!
Posted By: jpb Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
Man, those are nice pictures! Love the pictures this time of year with ice...

To photograph waterfowl a few years ago, I made a floating blind from a truck inner tube and a bedsheet.

Not my photo, but the one I made was similar to this -- crude, but it still worked very well!)

[Linked Image]

Puddling around like this in marsh was a very relaxing way to spend a morning.

John
Posted By: northern_dave Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
Wow, that's really cool.

It beats the heck out of my failed sneak attempt on a pair of sand hill cranes yesterday.

Posted By: RWE Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Wow, that's really cool.

It beats the heck out of my failed sneak attempt on a pair of sand hill cranes yesterday.

Need a low crawl refresher?
Posted By: northern_dave Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
I really wasn't feelin it... the low crawl.

lol.

Posted By: jpb Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
Hi again Dave

I found a picture of a more deluxe "swan blind" but my crude version worked very well and I would not bother with more.

Waterfowl are not that bright... big, white and with a neck sticking up is likely "good enough".

For my "swan blind", I made a sling seat from a car's shoulder seat belt and pop-riveted the ends around the inner tube. My initial thought was that I could use the buckle to do a fast exit if I capsized in wind or waves. I never did though -- my mass was mostly below the waterline since I made the seat sling long -- and therefore I sat very low (as low at my first picture, and much lower than the one in this current post):

I wish I had some pictures of my blind, but this was pre-digital. frown

[Linked Image]

I later made a another floating blind to resemble a muskrat house -- even easier to make (truck inner tube, one seatbelt, chicken wire and cattails). It worked just as well for waterfowl.

However, one day I was dozing in the sun and near crapped my waders when a muskrat tried to get inside with me. Glad there are no pictures of that event. smile

John
Posted By: eh76 Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
Nice pictures Dave!
Posted By: antlers Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/16/14
[Linked Image]
A greenhead with 3 curls...nice bird.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/17/14
Super cool photos
Posted By: northern_dave Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/18/14
These hooded mergansers were super spooky, didn't care for people or cameras. Pam managed a few shots though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/18/14
Those are stunning pictures,
Posted By: LouisB Re: coupl'a duck berdz - 04/18/14
The Merganser shots are spectacular.
The lighting on the water really fulfills my image of what comprises a great picture.

Frames and enhances the bird.
© 24hourcampfire