Home
Cookie headed out to check on about 4 known pairs of burrowing owls yesterday. Found 3 of the pairs, but they refused to pose. She did, however, encounter a very cooperative Red-tailed hawk.

[Linked Image]
EOS 70D 500mm Canon at 1/500th ISO 100, F5.6 -0.3 exposure bias

[Linked Image]
Identical equipment and settings

A very remote area and possibly the bird has had little to no exposure to humans. One could approach on foot to within about 30 ft.

He/she/it was dining on Beldings ground squirrels. Unfortunately, breakfast was just being completed as we approached. It went to ground after another while we were there, but that attempt was unsuccessful.
[Linked Image]

EOS 50D Canon 100-400 at 200mm ISO 100 F 5.0 at 1/250 sec
Excellent detail !
Cookie done good!
Nice that the hawk was so cooperative. Focus on the eye in #2 looks good. I like the forward lean atop the sage in #3.
Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the comments, and I'll pass them on. In my book, they are excellent images absolutely nailed in every way. Sadly, but I understand why, one is seeing only 10% of the resolution on this site that's available in the original files.

A very cooperative hawk indeed. Seems one makes 300 attempts over the seasons, and then out of the blue one finds that rare willing critter that instead of fleeing actually turns and comes closer.

Have a good one,

Nice looking shot's!
Originally Posted by 1minute
Cookie headed out to check on about 4 known pairs of burrowing owls yesterday. Found 3 of the pairs, but they refused to pose. She did, however, encounter a very cooperative Red-tailed hawk.

[Linked Image]
EOS 70D 500mm Canon at 1/500th ISO 100, F5.6 -0.3 exposure bias

[Linked Image]
Identical equipment and settings

A very remote area and possibly the bird has had little to no exposure to humans. One could approach on foot to within about 30 ft.

He/she/it was dining on Beldings ground squirrels. Unfortunately, breakfast was just being completed as we approached. It went to ground after another while we were there, but that attempt was unsuccessful.
[Linked Image]

EOS 50D Canon 100-400 at 200mm ISO 100 F 5.0 at 1/250 sec

Outstanding! A very lucky Lady to be there at the right place and time.
© 24hourcampfire