Home
Posted By: SamSteele Nikon Lens image "jumping". - 07/28/15
Hi all,

We were on vacation these past couple weeks and I noticed an issue with my Nikon 18-55mm lens. The image in the viewfinder seemed to "jump around" when it was autofocusing. It would still take photos fine, but it made composition tougher. My 55-200mm lens still worked fine so I am assuming that it is the lens, not the body.

Any idea what the issue may be? AF motor perhaps? The lens is out of warranty and I don't want to spend a lot to fix a basic kit lens. Thanks.

SS
Does it jump both when the VR is turned on and also off? Nikon had to replace the VR unit in my 70-300 when the image jumped/shifted during autofocusing.
RR,

I will have to give that a try and see. do you recall what repairing the VR on your lens cost? Wondering if I should just replace the lens outright.

SS
Sam, my lens was still under the 5 year warranty at the time so I have no idea on the cost.

Nikon just released a new 16-80mm VR DX for about $1066, If you are looking to save money, you might look into getting a refurbished version of the former 16-85 VR which is a good lens.
© 24hourcampfire