Home
Posted By: dingo King of the Kingfishers - 10/11/15

For a short time today I had four Kookaburras perched on a retaining wall in my backyard, but when I walked closer to take a few pics they all flew off, which is surprising because they're usually quite a bold bird. Anyway, one came back later and was digging around in the mud looking for food. I ran inside, grabbed my D600, got as close as possible and snapped a few dozen pics. These are a few of the better ones.

This bird appeared to be a juvenile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice coloration. Especially the tail feathers.
Posted By: dingo Re: King of the Kingfishers - 10/12/15
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Nice coloration. Especially the tail feathers.

I'm always impressed by the size of their bill, which they use to good effect in a rather brutal way.

They literally pounce on lizards, snakes or small birds, hold them with their bill and continually bash them on the ground until they're dead.

Posted By: 1minute Re: King of the Kingfishers - 10/14/15
Yes. Pluck the feathers off that bird, and it's probably 50% beak. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they one of the birds used to fill in the jungle sounds for many of the movies?
Posted By: dingo Re: King of the Kingfishers - 10/14/15
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Pluck the feathers off that bird, and it's probably 50% beak. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they one of the birds used to fill in the jungle sounds for many of the movies?

Yeah, I seem to recall hearing Kookaburras in old Tarzan movies.

Posted By: RedRabbit Re: King of the Kingfishers - 10/15/15
His oversized head and beak still grab may attention when I look at these photos. So disproportionate to the body.
© 24hourcampfire