Home
Posted By: Ron Super zoom - 05/02/16
I'm helping a friend find a super zoom to get started in nature photography. I've always shot SLRs & DSLRs and don't have any any direct knowledge. Her budget is $300-400 with a max of $500. All the players have a number of options... any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted By: pal Re: Super zoom - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by Ron
I'm helping a friend find a super zoom to get started in nature photography....any suggestions?

Thanks

You 're doing your friend an injustice by encouraging the purchase of a clunker like that. Instead have them do proper due diligence on primes and normal zooms.
Posted By: Ron Re: Super zoom - 05/02/16
Thank you pal for your insightful comment, and I'm glad to see your post in the photography section after all these years.

We have discussed the pros & cons, but this is what they fell suits their needs & budget. Thanks again and GFY! Please come back IF you can contribute.
Posted By: CameraLandTamronPhotAdv Re: Super zoom - 05/03/16
The best deal out there right now is the Tamron 16-300mm Di-II VC PZD lens. It has Instant Rebates of $130 making it $499 from Camera Land. The Tamron 18-270mm Di-II VC PZD lens is $449 from them. You could give Joel or Mark a call up there and see if there are any specials I am not aware of on either of the two lenses. I use the 16-300mm on a regular basis and get some great results, especially in the f8 or f11 range on landscapes. It will also do about a 1:3 Macro range, so it is a great lens for their purpose.

Here are a few images with that lens

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Super zoom - 05/03/16
That first picture is awesome. The second is rather sad.
Sad? As is mood sad?
Yes, solemn, mournful.

Tender, raw, mortal, "On Golden Pondesque"
I called that one "Swan Dance"
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Super zoom - 05/04/16
DPreview had a review on superzooms that may provide some comparison info to make a decision.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2015-roundup-long-zoom-compacts/16
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Super zoom - 05/07/16
Since I retired I don't like to carry a huge kit full of prime lenses. I hate cell phone cameras and the image quality of most compact cameras. Bought the Sigma 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 macro hsm and have been very happy with it. I use it on one of my 3 Sony APS-C bodies.
© 24hourcampfire