Home
Anyone used the Hornady 6.5mm 147 grain ELD Match on elk and deer? Results?
6.5 GAP traveling just over 3000 fps. From 40 yards to just over 400.
Exits on all. all but one dropped on the spot. One old buck stood in place for a few seconds before dropping.
All I shoot in my 6.5 GAP.

SnT
IMO ... big game deserves better than to be shot with Hornady bullets
Shot several elk and deer with them. They're fine. I prefer the 139 scenar.
I had 147 ELDM's blowing up on impact out of a 6.5PRC. Entrance wound on an Axis buck the size of a coffee can.
They work great at Creed muzzle velocities.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I think you nailed it Jordan. Not many 6.5 C's are going to launch them much faster than 2700... Kind of a sweet spot. The few deer taken with them were excellent with no bullet recoveries and no massive exits either. But man do they work well on deer..

This is what I've found as well. I personally prefer the 139 scenar's, as someone mentioned before.
Originally Posted by beretzs

I think you nailed it Jordan. Not many 6.5 C's are going to launch them much faster than 2700... Kind of a sweet spot. The few deer taken with them were excellent with no bullet recoveries and no massive exits either. But man do they work well on deer..

Well chit, now i'm getting nervous, with what King and you guys said, my 6.5 Swede kicks em out at 2950, only have two more rounds to shoot before reloading the Lapua cases for that rifle, have an 8 fps e.s. bughole load with 150gr Matchkings at 2928 fps, anyone have any on game experience with those?

Only use is doe antelope, mule deer doe, and whitetail deer and pigs here.
I wouldn't change Gunner. While it is a bit faster than what I have gotten, you're shooting most stuff beyond muzzle thumping ranges with it. They are a known good for what you're going.

I see Nosler has a 150 grain Accubond that was just released that might be pretty good as well. I'd be down with trying some of them to, when I can find them.
I’ve taken elk and mule deer with them, out of a 6.5CM. No drama. All exits.

I’d really like to try the 139 Scenar too.
The 143 ELDX work great out of a PRC. I know it's not what you asked but I thought I would share
Originally Posted by beretzs
I wouldn't change Gunner. While it is a bit faster than what I have gotten, you're shooting most stuff beyond muzzle thumping ranges with it. They are a known good for what you're going.

I see Nosler has a 150 grain Accubond that was just released that might be pretty good as well. I'd be down with trying some of them to, when I can find them.

That'll work, Thanks B,. i remember that bullet took either 4 or 6 antelope last year, dont remember the ranges, bud said nearly everyone at the 6 man camp borrowed it to finish/fill their tags, no bullet recoveries, the Nosler sounds good too, another reason i went 7.5 twist, no telling what the bullet lab coats will come up with next.
I won't use them anymore.. It took four shots from my 260ai started at 2900 to keep this bear down..175 yds.. First time I have ever had to shoot more than once with this rifle .I switched to the 147's for the accuracy and the BC. Kept hearing great reports...

I wasn't getting any penetration and the bear was not all that big.. No more for me...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire