Home
Posted By: Rman Sako TRG-42 muzzle thread size??? - 04/06/08
Can anyone tell me what the muzzle thread size is on a Sako TRG-42. I think 1/14 but am not sure. Thanks.
R.
M18x1
Thanks!
R.
No problem.

Are you installing a brake? Suppressor?
I am looking to install an Armalite AR 30 brake on this rifle. Armalite's thread size is 5/8 18 UNF 3A. I am not the best machinist in the world, so are these threads larger, or smaller than the 18/1 threads on the Sako? Can an adapter be made? Could the threads on the Armalite brake be machined out, and a sleave with the proper threads installed? Any help would be great.
Thanks.
R.
P.S.
5/8 diameter converted to metric is 15.875. So the existing 5/8 thread size is smaller than the metric 18mm. This leaves thread depth. 18mm minus 15.875mm is 2.125mm, divided by two is 1.0625. Translated to inches, this leaves a thread depth of .042 inches.
Would this be enough material left to work? Is my math right? Help!
Thanks again.
R.
PPS Have moved to Gunsmith Forum. Thanks. R
You might be able to do something with a heli-coil. These are used when you strip out a spark plug. Ask some machinists or good mechanics. I would adapt the muzzle brake to fit the metric barrel. Although your country isn't metric, heli-coils are produced in your country for world sales. Never done this but repaired some spark plug holes on alluminium heads more than once. Just an idea to kick around.
© 24hourcampfire