Home
[Linked Image]

Taken with a friends .338LM at 880 meters...250gr scenar. Soon afterwards I had my own built.

Above rifle is a GAP 7000.
NICE rifle and that lope has great looking horns.

Looks just about 15" ?
Pat, What barrel is on your personal 338? I'm in the process of putting together a 338 Edge. Thinking of going fluted Rock 30" MTU.
I'm running a Bartlein MTU, 28" 1-9.75" 5R. It shoots both the 250gr scenar and the 300gr scenar well.

Rock barrels are top shelf....are you looking at 5R rifling?

That buck was 16 5/8" on the long horn....
I thought that should be closer to 16, didn't guess it to go over too.... Great animal!

Great shot too!

Jeff
[Linked Image]

Another "Loper" taken with the same rifle by my friends son....shot was 415 meters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All taken with the 338 Lapua and 300 grain SMK's
Scenar,

What is the grayish looking thingy in front of the magazine??

Great goat by the way!!

Jeff
Its a system my friend uses on his rifles called "The Claw"....it hooks the rifle to a tripod for shooting solid from a sitting position. Like steep side hills, big sagebrush,CRP fields etc. It's a pretty slick deal when you cant go prone.

jwp, Whats the specs on your .338LM?
[Linked Image]

My .338LM and VectorIV.
That looks like the range at Ft. Peck
It is...
Cool rifles and good shooting also!!
I big time concur!

Dober
does a 338 rum count ?

a 250 gr sgk sbt at 3,052 fps. custom kenton industries turret, and a top of th line douglas barrel.
just as i got from my now passed friend. i'd like to up grade the stock, but i want to remember my friend and leave it just like i got from him.
[Linked Image]
and it's first kill, a cow elk at 700 yards.
[Linked Image]
RUM's are GTG!! Nicely done!!
top of the line douglas barrel, isn't there an oxymoron in there somewhere hiding?
no. i find nothing wrong with it.
Are the big 33's more apt to LR shooting than the big 30's (RUMs in particular) because of the higher BC bullets available?
Yes.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
no. i find nothing wrong with it.

Kinda ribbing ya some but I"ve not had good luck with douglas and am trying one again right now and its a consistent 2/1 grouper while trying to work up loads... 2 almost touching and one way away....
I shot them some in my competition days and always went away from them because they were a pain.

Glad ya got a good one! I'm still hoping on this current one and if it fails I'll replace it and never use one again.
the 338 edge is the 338/300 RUM?

Yes.....
Originally Posted by rost495
top of the line douglas barrel, isn't there an oxymoron in there somewhere hiding?

Exactly what I was thinking, just couldn't figure out how to spell oxy...ah heck you know what I mean... grin

Dober
well, thanks for [bleep] on a really nice rifle my now dead friend built. no i didn't select anything, it was a gift.
and i am not 100 percent sure it's a douglas, he had a few, and that's what i thought it may be, he also used a lot of shilens, and lilja's.
i just picked a name that i thought may have been used for the barrel.
i have no complaints with the barrel. heck, putting down a barrel that shoots like this because you feel it's substandard or whatever is someone talking out your fat ass.

yeah, i take offense to it, it was a hand made gift, and ya gotta [bleep] on it like your [bleep] is the greatest and bestest.
if it is really a douglas, and they all clean as easy as this one and shoots as well, i'll be buying them from now on.
i'd like to see you shoot groups like this with a 338 rum.

dickheads.
2 shots, and adjustment, and then 3.

[Linked Image]

and another 3 shot group.
[Linked Image]

so ya don't like the barrels, keep it to yourself. don't be baggin on a gift from a dead guy, that was a dear friend.
Hey if you'd understand some things... if it works it works... I was just amazed. They are not known for their top line accuracy. Pretty common knowledge among shooters.

It was a funny, didn't mean any disrespect, and its evident if you can get her to group at that distance then its working for you.

And I hope the one I have here works for me too.

My apologies.

Jeff
Originally Posted by David_Walter
the 338 edge is the 338/300 RUM?

Is is 300 case necked up and improved.
The 338 RUM case is not not used in the Edge wildcat to my knowledge.

The Edge is the 300 RUM case necked up with no other changes
Originally Posted by jwp475

+ 1
Originally Posted by jwp475

Oops, sorry about that!
I had always assumed it was an improved version blush
OK I'm confused.

338 edge is just the 300 RUM blown out to .338"?

Wouldn't that be the same thing as a 338 RUM?
No the .338 RUM case is shorter than the .300 RUM case.
Hey Splatter, I didn't mean any disprespect at all about your friend and or his rifle nor to you.

I've had a history that wasn't too shiny with Douglas and perhaps in this case should of kept my mouth shut.

If you knew me you'd know I don't mean any disrespect to either the gun, you and or your friend who has passed. If anything I'm as sentimental of a guy that's ever come down the pike.

Bottom line, sorry about the dig towards the barrel maker. I guarantee you it wouldn't of come out of my mouth with most any other barrel maker in the world.

My apologies.

Mark
When Rem. came out with the 300 Ultra, it was a 2.850" case length, same as the 375 H&H.

When they came out with the 338 version, they shortened it up .090", to 2.760".

As stated before, the Edge is just the full length 300UM necked to .338, with no other changes.
okay guys, we're fine....
i miss the old guy pretty bad. we would talk for hours on the phone, and i spent a good part of my free time out at his place in the boonies trying to learn what i could from him about machining. he used to work for nasa during the apollo era, making rocket engines.
had no family here, so i/wife tried to be it.
he had a massive stroke back in april and died a week later.
we was very anal about everything being just perfect. this was his rifle, and i got it from his son, as a remembrance.
i am glad i took an animal with it, i am sure he's up there looking down smiling !
as far as i know it's douglas, but maybe a lilja ?
i am sure there's no way, as markings are not on the outside.

the comments just struck a nerve with me...
sorry guys

mark

kim woodbury making a 338 rum for me, but plans changed and now a friend has the barrel and action in a knox stock chambered in 338lm. he took his cow elk with it at 658 yards.
[Linked Image]
Mark

Glad we are back to ok for sure. I sure didn't mean things the way they came across.

Looks like a fine old gent for sure. I"m sure you learned plenty, and I'd have to guess the loss as a huge one for sure. They seem to have broken the mold of the good ones along the way.

Jeff
rost495,

If a rifle shoots consistant 1" at 300 yards is it still O.K. if it's a Douglas? What is a quality brand to you?
Originally Posted by Ringman
rost495,

If a rifle shoots consistant 1" at 300 yards is it still O.K. if it's a Douglas? What is a quality brand to you?

Douglas are better than most OEM barrels, and are in the same realm as other second tier like Shaw, Pac-Nor etc. but are not in the same class as Krieger,Hart,Bartlein,Rock and other top tier barrel's.
RC828
rost495,

Experience has taught me to judge a barrel by how it lives it's life. In other words from start to end and how the particular barrel makers tubes typically go thru the cycle. And I'm for betting that Jeff has similar experience to me when it comes to such matters.

I don't judge a tube by how it shoots in the moment. I've had 3 Dougy tubes all three lived and died pretty much in like manner. All broke in rough, then all shot well for a while, then all puked within 1K rounds. So for me and my experiences I've found other tubes to live and die much better.

IMO, those that say look at my gun and the group it shoots and then proclaim a barrel to be a good one tends to show ones inexperience. Not a shot at all taken @ Splatters gun and or him here. Just a comment that I'm making after watching over the years when people go to defending this or that tube. Typical response is see the group it shot, it's a good tube...

That's just the way I look at it.

Dober
i see your point, but when it consitantly shoots like that, to me that's a good barrel and the nut behind the trigger.

and i seriously doubt that i'll ever put 1k rounds down the tube of my rum in my lifetime. i have too many others to play with, and this is for one particular place we hunt.
a pre trip zero check, and some shooting over the summer before hand, and it's off to the hills.

it was nice yak'n, but i'm done with this thread.

you have your thoughts an experience's and i have mine. they differ and it just doesn't matter, it's the internet.

Shoot straight and enjoy that rig!

Dober
rost495,

Dober has my answer too...... I"ve yet to own a douglas that would shoot a 10 shot group of an inch or less CONSISTENTLY over its life, and those lives have not been very long. I did this last one(possibly last one) due to the fact I was not convinced that the smiths that did the prior ones did them correct and this smith has a good record, a BR record, and talked me into trying one, one more time. After all 100 bucks is 100 bucks, but if it keeps shooting like it did at the start, well I'll not have another one.... as I never got time to bed it right away, so if now that its bedded, it still tosses 2/1 groups, thats the last one I'll ever own.

BTW I have been around this one factory Rem 338 win tube that shoots in the THREES at 100 consistently... and I've got one of my longest kills with that gun... doesn't mean that I'm off to buy all Rem factory tubes either.

OTOH my experience with Pac Nor has been that most of them shoot right off the bat, and very well, but not all of them. But they provide a particular tube that I need.... and with Krieger, well my WORST one was .75 moa at 600 for 5 shot group averages.. and most are .5 moa and well under easily, from the get go, with very little work, mostly round groups from the start, and fairly long lived.... had one in 223 that had almost 12K rounds in it and was still pretty much an MOA gun or just over at 600 yard matches but was still solidly sub MOA at 200 and under.
Been my experience that the 33 tubes are incredibly eager to please, a lot like a 308 but just not as user friendly as a 308...grin

The Schneider 340 tubes I've had have been incredible! But then again the factory 338 (700) have been super as well.

Dober
Originally Posted by aalf
When Rem. came out with the 300 Ultra, it was a 2.850" case length, same as the 375 H&H.

When they came out with the 338 version, they shortened it up .090", to 2.760".

As stated before, the Edge is just the full length 300UM necked to .338, with no other changes.

Great, thanks for the explanation

Are you guys fire-forming 300 ultra cases in an EDGE barrel or does someone make the EDGE brass?
You should be able to run 300 RUM brass through a 338 EDGE die (with expander ball) and be good to go, the way I understand it. I don't believe the shoulder position or angle changes, so fireforming shouldn't really occur much.

One can use 33 RUM dies to load a 338 Edge by adjusting the die to account for the longer length
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

My .338LM and VectorIV.

Hey scenarshooter,
How's it going....I just joind up and thought I would ask you a question about that rear bag you have in the picture.
I have one just the same and it sort of rocks side to side a bit as the bottom is not quite flat. How do you find it?
Wad,

I'm not scenarshooter, but, if I'm seeing right, that's a Doctor bag from Protektor. They're 6"x9" with a 1/2 thick base that has a built-in "donut". I've got two of them, and when filled with heavy sand, they have NO rock and stay where put. If you've got a wiggler, I doubt it's this model.

A couple of fixes.
Hunt down some thicker leather and glue to your existing base.
Add heavy sand, alone, or in conjuction with your thicker base.
Buy a "dunut, which is a leather/rubber ring that you set your bag on that takes out the rock-n-roll.
Buy a Doctor and fill with heavy sand. Not for backpacking. Mine weighs 20 pounds.
Can I sneak a .338 Edge kill in? 300 SMK, 8 mph wind, 546 yards.

[Linked Image]
Model70guy,

That looks like a savage. Specs?
Savage ultramag action,Montana Rifleman 28" 1-10 barrel cut to shoulder instead of the barrel nut, Stockade adjustable stock, Sharpshooter trigger and bolthandle. Wolf 32# striker spring.I believe the brake is from Bits of Pieces. If I could get rid of the Savage action, I would.I don't remember the black coating process.
The 8.5-25 Mark 4 is mounted in Mark 4 rings on a AGW 20 MOA rail.I bolted a Sinclair tube mounted level on too.
I use the 300 SMK, H1000 and Nosler brass.The rifle recoils like a .243, and carries about like a high lift Jackall.
Model 70, Nice buck!! your province rules for great mule deer bucks!!! Well done!!
Thanks, my wife and kids took it in to the club horn measureing day and it went 181/171. That was more about measureing my 14 year-old's whitetail for the junior awards, and a 7x7 whitetail we found.
I'm prone to shooting my mulie in the first hour of the first day, then wandering off by myself to shoot coyotes. This year it was to fill my 4 doe tags. I got a double out of one bunch, 550 for the first one and 660 for a second when some of them paused before jumping a fence.That was fun, and efficient.
I know I was under gunned, but I shot this coyote on the run at 311 yards. (Coyote was running, I was prone)
338 Lapua,300 Match King, Hit her in the west end as she was heading east.
[Linked Image]
Jim, can we get some more pics of the rifle? Thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here are a couple of mine, one in the picture and one in the video.

[Linked Image]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyOtb6ycLY

Oneshot
Nice rig, I imagine it's the improved version?? Regular 338 Lapua spit out 300 grainers at 2800 ft/sec while the Improved spits them out at 3000 ft/sec. Little more range and hitting power. Do you find the short harris too short on elevation for long shots? I see you have the shortest model. I like the color and huge DB.
if the edge is a 338/300 rum why not just do the 338 rum?
The 338 Rum has less case capacity, which is why they neck up the .300 Rum case.

R.
© 24hourcampfire