Home
Posted By: BCJR Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
As in the bullet failed to let this bull walk away! 950 yrds thru the edge of the shoulder and the motor turned into jello. He didnt give us a good shot at first so I watched this bull for two hours in a 100x40 yrd patch of timber. He finally fed back out and gave us a chance. Wind conditions were perfect ,all 6 days prior the wind was terrible. The country is extreme to say the least , worst pack out I have even been on , not even fit for a mule. Took three of us two days to back it out. He will go around 270 so not the biggest bull but we will never forget it.We had to stash water on the way in as it was warm.we have a tag left so we will go back in in a week ,work gets in the way of the important stuff again. shot was taken from behind the guy on the right in the last picture.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10

Congratulation. Very well done
Posted By: slg888 Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
Sweet. This Berger failed to stop traveling. Friend showing off my exit hole.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
Nice Bull. Which VLD failed on you? smile
Posted By: BCJR Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
orange box out of a 300 rum. We use them on everything and in everything , accurate and devastating.oh yeah we also were using the "target" bullets on everything before the "hunting" bullets came out , they are deadly as well.slg88....cool eye guards on that whitey.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
210, 190, 168?
Originally Posted by EddyBo
210, 190, 168?

Posted By: keith Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
I would sure try and find a mule man to pack out the meat on the next one.

congrats on the hunt!
had access to them ,they wouldnt have made parts of the pack so overall not worth the trouble
Good one, great shot.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
I remember hunting country like that in the '70's, when I was in my 20's in NE Oregon. Hellashishly steep. We had a system worked out with a truck, LOTS of rope and several guys with CB radios to haul the deer up the slope.

That is a fantastic hunt you got there and, wow, what a shot!

Alan
How come their faces are blacked out? Are they famous? Wanted by the law? Space aliens?
Posted By: mathman Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
oh yeah we also were using the "target" bullets on everything before the "hunting" bullets came out , they are deadly as well

The original target bullets are the hunting bullets. The ones now labeled target have heavier jackets.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
Originally Posted by mathman
oh yeah we also were using the "target" bullets on everything before the "hunting" bullets came out , they are deadly as well

The original target bullets are the hunting bullets. The ones now labeled target have heavier jackets.

Mathman is spot on
David - could be as simple as "Honey - the church is having a week-end retreat for the men...can I go?". Now, I'd consider a week-end in that country getting closer to the maker. Being with friends, participating in "team" activities, also good for you. BTW - don't think they're "space aliens" as neither looks like Tommy Lee Jones or Will Smith. Can't speak for the bull however. Regards, Homesteader.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/15/10
Congratulations! Good shooting in good country and a nice bull as well. Sure helps to have a few strong friends for the pack out!

Posted By: BCJR Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/16/10
Originally Posted by David_Walter
How come their faces are blacked out? Are they famous? Wanted by the law? Space aliens?

Famous
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/16/10
BCJR: Nice shooting,great bull, great hunt.Not much more a guy could want....except maybe flatter country smile
Posted By: Fotis Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/16/10
Congrats. I have Used them also at longer ranges. My concern is what happens up close with them.
Posted By: BCJR Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/17/10
Originally Posted by Fotis
Congrats. I have Used them also at longer ranges. My concern is what happens up close with them.

shot a whitetail at about 50 yrds with a 185 vld out of a 300 wby a couple years ago..it died right there.. i still have the bullet somewhere ill try and find it and put pics up...
Posted By: JimD. Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/18/10
Had my second Berger kill today. 168 7mm at 3200fps, 30yards, lungs, 175lb 10pt GA buck. Bullet exited, deer ran about 30 yards, dont know how. First buck was about 60 yards last year, same bullet, same rifle, exited. Im pretty impressed so far, at least on deer sized game, never killed anything bigger.

JimD.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/18/10
Sweet!
Posted By: dc3483 Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/18/10
Tested out the new 300gr .338 Berger on some Nebraska deer with shots ranging from 350-725 all fell right where they stood. 10 deer in total where taken all with Berger bullets
Posted By: Shag Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/18/10
All lung shots?
Posted By: BCJR Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/19/10
Originally Posted by dc3483
Tested out the new 300gr .338 Berger on some Nebraska deer with shots ranging from 350-725 all fell right where they stood. 10 deer in total where taken all with Berger bullets

Ive been told by some reputable sources that there are problems with the 300 338's..are you getting any fliers?
Posted By: dc3483 Re: Another Berger VLD failure - 11/19/10
no problems here...
© 24hourcampfire