Home
Posted By: Jeff_O My new new spot - 04/19/11
Got a new spot set up today. It only goes to 500 yds or so, but it ideal for "practical riflery" practice- field positions etc, plus it's shady and private, which is nice now but will be great this summer when I'm working out the 7wsm.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
Looking good, how far do you have to drive to get to it?

Dober
Posted By: BradArnett Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
How's the puss pad work for shooting off of? Least that's what we called them. We were issued them but the first thing I bought was a good thermarest pad to carry on my rucksack instead. (grin)

Looks like a pretty good spot to shoot, what does the wind do there?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
I've had that "pad" since about 1975! It sucked then, it sucks worse now. It was part of the first batch of backpacking stuff my dad set me up with. Still have a classic little POS pup tent too! But when you are a kid it doesn't matter much. Sleep anywhere.

The wind today was pretty mild. I was holding off 1-1.5 MOA. I don't know how it "is" in general. It can get screwy up there (this spot is sort of at the target end of my other LR spot... but different little valley I'm shooting across... I'll post a pic...).

Dober: it's about 15 minutes away, maybe 10 miles as the crow would do it?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
Brad- so, in my new spot I'm shooting FROM just inside the treeline in the 90-degree notch up in the trees there. Shooting right to left.

From the shooting position in the pic below, there's a plate at 875 yards in that same notch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11

Nice looking spot for some LR work..<g> Just good fun.
Posted By: yobuck Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
nice spot, where theres one theres others. tune in and you will find them. do they block those skidder roads when the logging is finished?
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
Everytime I find a nice spot like that, some yuppie comes by on a mtn bike, ruining it for safe shooting...
Posted By: rost495 Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
You don't have to use premium bullets on mountain bikes so not a big challenge really. Pretty easy to take out. I"d bet a corelokt would be fine....
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
I schit you not, I have found a lot of good places to shoot over the past few years, and suddenly out of nowhere comes some 20-something liberal on a mtn bike, ruining the whole setup.
15 mins away is sweet..... grin

Dober
Posted By: SamOlson Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
I can finally get to my spot. Sucks though cause it takes awhile, like 7 minutes.....grin
don't you have some wheat or barley to be getting in... wink

Dober
Posted By: SamOlson Re: My new new spot - 04/19/11
Waitin' on mud.
Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 04/20/11
Libs never ruin my hunting/shooting, I ruin their quiet nature outing.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/20/11
This particular area doesnt get any of that. It's just steep thick Coast Range with big ugly clearcuts.

I've got my chantrelle spots up there and did kill my first deer right near there, but while the roads get driven a lot you never see anybody in the woods. Plus about the time you get attached to a nice stand of timber, errr some nice woods, they cut 'em down. Oh well. I buy 2x4's; can't complain I guess.

Posted By: rost495 Re: My new new spot - 04/20/11
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I can finally get to my spot. Sucks though cause it takes awhile, like 7 minutes.....grin

You suck. 7 minutes to get to your spot....

of course mine for the time being again, only goes out to 600 yards due to needing some limbs trimmed.... Of course I have to pay the price to get there, its only accessible all year round, and I have to go at least 400 yards to get to the 600 yard bench or about 150 to get to the 200 and 300 yard benches out the back door.

Of course could be some cattle to run out of the way. But if you shoot at night they generally wont' bother you. Put one truck with lights on the target and then go shoot.... amazing how much snugger groups come with little to no wind, and no mirage....

But you can't learn much on mine most of the time. Predominant south wind and from about 550 yards on in, the path of the bullet is protected from the south by about a 100 foot wide strip of thick brush.

Grins..
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: My new new spot - 04/20/11
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I schit you not, I have found a lot of good places to shoot over the past few years, and suddenly out of nowhere comes some 20-something liberal on a mtn bike, ruining the whole setup.

Practice your moving target marksmanship and pop a few tires; I'm sure they'll get the message.

Every time I see a pic like that of Jeffs I get a little envious. In NW Iowa the few riflemen there are go through all kinds of gyrations to get some place without row crops, confinements, and with enough slope to set up safely, and God be praised if you can squeeze 500 yds out of it. Of course, then, you have to deal with farmer-owner who may have a .22 but who looks at you like "WT...?"
Posted By: BradArnett Re: My new new spot - 04/21/11
It's nice to have shooting close to home. I know just how lucky I am to be able to open the door and shoot to 300yds just prone laying on the kitchen floor. 'Course Rachel wouldn't like that too much if I did when she was home, have to shoot off the porch if she's around. I like to slide a bipod right up tight to the bottom of the door jamb and poke the muzzle out the door. It's how I do all my load work up. Don't even have to get dressed. grins.

I have to drive just over a mile to shoot to 1000yds+.
Posted By: Seafire Re: My new new spot - 04/21/11
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Everytime I find a nice spot like that, some yuppie comes by on a mtn bike, ruining it for safe shooting...

ah just do a few shots over his head from a concealed position...

he won't be back... grin
Posted By: Seafire Re: My new new spot - 04/21/11
Originally Posted by Rogue

Mike,

I noticed your post after I posted mine..

looks like it is a tough neighborhood to be a tree hugger down this way, isn't it.. cool
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/21/11
I'm heading up there right now. Nice and cool out! I need to relocate one of the plates I put up, I didn't get it facing quite right towards me and so the bullets weren't hitting it square and it wasn't clanging (thwop!!) the way I like... grin...

Today I'll be shooting 7-08, 300 WM, and my .338 I think. Can't wait for the 7WSM to get here...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My new new spot - 04/21/11
Have fun Jeff. Looks like we are going to have good weather for a couple of days anyway. Getting tired of the nonstop rain!!!@!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/21/11
Lying on my belly up here on my "puss pad" waiting for barrels to cool and typing this on my iPhone! grin

Wind is wonky as usual up here. One direction at the plates, another from my shooting position. Net result is a dead-on hold though!
Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 04/21/11
Double swirling dead hold...Always a classic.

Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 04/21/11
Originally Posted by Seafire

Mike,

I noticed your post after I posted mine..

looks like it is a tough neighborhood to be a tree hugger down this way, isn't it.. cool

Yep John,

I make a living outta pissing off those with poor bathing habbits.
Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 04/22/11
Maybe pissin off tree huggers is more of a lifestyle choice?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/22/11
I hugged a tree once... grin...

We'd just bought our 16 acres a year or so ago and our wacky neighbor was being foreclosed on by his own UNCLE (land sale contract). So, this wankers last move is to pull all the timber off the place literally the weekend before his eviction on Monday!

Our other neighbor had recently had the top part of his land surveyed, and from that survey it was easy to see that about 20' of land that the loser guy thought was "his", wasn't. 20' strip I mean. And part of that strip was on our land, and on it was (is) a stand of 5-6 big fir, including one that's almost old-growth in size.

So we got wind of it and were out there at dawn and sure enough, he sent the loggers right at that tree. Wife and I ran out and got between them and the saws.

I may cut that tree someday, but dammit it's my tree to decide about!

At first the loggers thought we were like earth firsters or something, but once it was clear it was a property dispute they backed off wacky neighbor then called the sheriff. Sheriif called in all our records.... crap, gotta go drink beer with a bud, will finish the story later.... smile
Jeff,

Guessin you don't hang out much in Caves Junction?

Mike
Posted By: Seafire Re: My new new spot - 04/22/11
Jeff,

Guessin you don't hang out much in Caves Junction?

Mike

I don't stop in CJ if I even have to take a dump....
I love that place...

What a bunch of freaks. You should see Takilma.
Drive slowly around that area with your windows down in the summer. 2 out of 3 houses are growing weed. The third is to stupid/stoned to grow it so they just steal it.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/22/11
... the rest of the story, and yes I have a gnarly hangover <grin>, is that this loser neighbor who is cutting down all the marketable timber on a property he's about to be foreclosed on, and trying to cut some of OUR trees, calls the sheriff when we go out and stop the loggers from cutting the ones that are clearly, as evidenced by the other neighbor's fresh survey, on our land...

The deputy comes and gets me, my wife, the neighbor and this little Napolean-complex [bleep] who's been renting a room from him, Randy was his name, in a group and asks for everyone's ID's. He calls them in. My wife comes up clean as the pure driven snow- nothing. I have a speeding ticket from 5 years ago or something like that. The neighbor, Phil, has a list of petty crap like DUI's and minor assault and so on... but his RENTER, that guy comes up as being on parole for attempted intentional murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and just on and on and on with all these violent crimes... so as you can imagine, the deputy then was quite sympathetic to our cause and kept one eye peeled towards Randy the whole rest of the time!

Wasn't sad to see that bastid leave. He tried to buy it after Phil got kicked out. We wrote a letter to the owners describing what we knew about him and saying that we'd make a big stink over the illegal septic system and so on if they sold it to him. I did NOT want that guy next to me!

So that's my tree-hugging story. We did literally hug that tree. It's big enough that the two of us, 20 years ago, couldn't get our arms around it, not even close... I've got a 6-foot plus wingspan, wife must be at least 5 feet, so it's way more than 11 feet in circumfrance...
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: My new new spot - 04/23/11
11 whole feet?

wow.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/23/11
Dammit, that was a new sock!
Posted By: chas05 Re: My new new spot - 04/23/11
Trade a lr session for a fishin' session?

Charlie

Posted By: GSSP Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
Found this nice new spot about a week or so back. Haven't lased the distance to the base of the mountain yet but I'm pretty sure it farther than I've ever shot.

And it's 31 miles from my house. Not too bad crazy
[Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: pointer Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
GSSP- I think I may know about where that's at! wink
Posted By: EddyBo Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
Some of you guys out west is lucky bastids, very few spots to shoot long range in my area. I had to clear cut about seven acres right through some 20 year old plantation pines to get my range. I have about 20 steps out my back door into my shooting room, then I have to let the actuator raise the window in front of my benches, before I can use my 800 yard range. Luckily I have a buddy who has access to a spot where we can shoot a mile+ about 6 miles up the road. When I built my shooting room I added my reloading room into the same building. About 15 steps from my loading press to my shooting bench, and about the same distance from my bench is my machine shop. I can build em load for em and shoot em with very few steps.
Posted By: GSSP Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
Originally Posted by pointer

Well then, come join me as I'm out most Saturdays.

Alan
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
Originally Posted by chas05
Trade a lr session for a fishin' session?

Charlie

I'd love to do either/both Charlie!

I'm probably too slammed to do fishing properly for the next couple weeks (which is a good thing, grin) but I'll for sure be sneaking up to shoot for a couple hours on weekdays! Uh... you have Wednesday's off, right?
Posted By: pointer Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by pointer

Well then, come join me as I'm out most Saturdays.

Alan
I would, but I moved to Indiana last September. Makes for a long drive... wink If it's where I think it is I've spent lots of time out there for work. Is that west of where you live? If so I may be right, if not, I'm wrong...
Posted By: Turok Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
Being in a primarily logging driven town, we have LOTS of clearcuts that offer opportunities to do some long range shooting within minutes from my house. I haven't done any real long range shooting before, but I'm going to start working up a load just as soon as I get my .300 WM back. It should be here by the end of the week or early next week.

I can't wait smile
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
A few thoughts, since that where I'm forced to do all my LR shooting (large open areas simply do not exist without chain saws around here!)....

Try to place your targets in areas of open dirt. It's much easier to call your misses that way, than if the misses are hitting a tangle of twigs and bark and logging debris and so on. Plus, if you time it right, the dirt a couple inches down will be a different color and that REALLY makes it easy to see where you've hit! But that changes with the moisture content and when it rained last and so on...

I like to just nail my plates to stumps with big ol' spikes. It's been the most durable method I've come up with. BUT, it means not being able to put the plates in open dirt patches, usually...

Posted By: Turok Re: My new new spot - 04/25/11
I'm kinda partial to water jugs (1.5-2L). I love the 'WHOP!' noise they make when you hit them. Plus the explosion is kinda cool too smile. There are a few spots here that have large boulders way out there that you can get a pretty decent feedback on as well. I'm really looking forward to it.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/26/11
Yeah, it's just the cleanup afterwards that's a pain... at least at my spot it would be, since it's kind of hard to get to where the targets are...

I keep meaning to put up a bunch of clay pigeons on a berm.. that's always fun.
Posted By: chas05 Re: My new new spot - 04/26/11
Jeff,

No more Wednesdays for a while, "promotion". Always got time for an evening fish though cool

Charlie
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/26/11
Ah, the dreaded job title change <grin>.

We really need to hook up. PM inbound.
Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 04/26/11
I get a kick out of rock busting. Here are some of my more used ranges.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Turok Re: My new new spot - 04/27/11
Pretty spectacular range you got there Rogue. I love the mountains. We really only have 'hills' where I am. The place is pretty flat, but the beetle kill clear cuts have created thousands of miles of access roads and shooting ranges that literally span 10-12 miles per cut.
Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 04/30/11
Went spinning turrets this afternoon with a couple pards. We where launching from 550- 840 yards across a very deep canyon. There was definately some unseen swirling cross winds going on. Good times.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/30/11
Wow Rogue, awesome pics! Southern OR is a pretty special place... so is NoCal, except for the whole "Cal" part....
Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 04/30/11
Roger...
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 04/30/11
The whole "Jefferson" thing does make sense...
Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 05/01/11
It was a done deal until Pearl Harbor interupted things. It'll never happen but it's fun to bitoch about.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: My new new spot - 05/01/11
Really? Didn't know that.

NoCal and SoCal are very different places... SoCal is is SO... Cal. smile
IIRC the House passed the bill and the Senate and FDR where in line to approve it, then Pearl Harbor.

Wish it would kick back up. It actually make a bunch of sense. We would of course deport 9/10th of Ashland and Caves Junction. They'ld all relocate to downtown Eugene. Just saying...
But I must say that fish market/cafe downtown on that one way is outstanding. Great food.
Posted By: chas05 Re: My new new spot - 05/01/11
Newmanns?
Posted By: Rogue Re: My new new spot - 05/02/11
Don't remember the name. Bunch of hippy dudes in there working away. Dopers do know good food...
© 24hourcampfire