Home
Posted By: Jeff_O Erectors - 06/08/11
When dialing "up", do you go past by a bit then come down to the desired number of clicks? What about if dialing downward?
Posted By: JonA Re: Erectors - 06/08/11
Only when using scopes that don't track track well.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Erectors - 06/08/11
Sure do, it is just one of those things..... I learned to do it this way so that is how I do it. Probably doesn't help anything but certainly don't hurt nothing either.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Erectors - 06/09/11
I always finish with an "up" movement or a "right" movement when sighting in my rifles. That's how I learned to do it and it seems to work for me.
I test my scopes on the first day, if they dont track to where I want them to go when dialing directly to the mark I send them down the road. I have heard the explanation before of why that is more consistent with some brands but prefer to dial to the correct mark without adding extra steps.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Erectors - 06/09/11
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
When dialing "up", do you go past by a bit then come down to the desired number of clicks? What about if dialing downward?

Jeff,

No, if I go past my dial "up" point it is only by mistake. And I never count "clicks". But then my scopes dials are in MILS not MOA, and look like this:

[Linked Image]

So if my drop sheet calls for 4.2 MILS of UP, I just dial directly to 4.2. When I'm done right back to my zero mark.

I've got a full 9 mils (that's about 31 MOA) on a single turn of the dial (0.1 Mil per click), and I can go more than 2 full turns (about 70 MOA of up travel). Scope shown is an US Optics SN3 - 3.2-17x44mm w/EREK elevation turret.

And just for conversation, this is the reticle I have in it:

[Linked Image]

Also with 9 Mils of hold unders, and 4 Mils of windage available. Perhaps if your turret(s) are not a crisp or precise as this one, then use whatever technique works for you. A good, well built turret should have no backlash or lag. It should just be dial and shoot....

Bob

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Erectors - 06/09/11
Bob, very nice!

Not really talking about backlash of the turret itself, but more the internals. I know some guys go past their mark then either down or up to "load" the erector, but I couldn't remember if it was down or up.

I haven't seen a need for it with my Conquests.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Erectors - 06/09/11
It's down and left. And yes I do it out of habit. Not that the Conquests need it grin
© 24hourcampfire