Home
My barrel on the Ruger Hawkeye is 22 inch's. I am shooting 150 grain TTSX's through it right now.

I planned on taking it out to Montana or Wyoming for cow elk hunting next year, and I was wondering if my rig would suffice for the long ranges Wyoming or Montana might present to me.

Would I lose any accuracy at 600 yards with a shorter barrel versus a 26 inch barrel?

Winnie1300
What type of groups does it shoot at 600 yds?

And how are you scoped?

Dober

(side note, a 22" barrel is more than capable if the gun and shooter are up to it..)
I would be more concerned with practicing alot at many ranges than the velocity loss of the shorter barrel.You have plenty of gun and a good bullet choice so now go practice and kill something!! wink
The scope on the rifle right is a little underpowered. It is a 1.75-6 by 32. I planned on buying a higher powered scope for my hunt.

6X would be enough power.

What you really need if you don't have it already is a laser rangefinder, and an elevation turret. Then plenty of practice out to distances you think you may hunt.
MontanaMarine

I was also planning on buying a laser range finder as well.

I was just thinking I might be more comfortable with a higher power like a 12 or even a 16.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
My barrel on the Ruger Hawkeye is 22 inch's. I am shooting 150 grain TTSX's through it right now.

I planned on taking it out to Montana or Wyoming for cow elk hunting next year, and I was wondering if my rig would suffice for the long ranges Wyoming or Montana might present to me.

Would I lose any accuracy at 600 yards with a shorter barrel versus a 26 inch barrel?

Winnie1300
..........Your 30-06 has no real handicap with a 22" barrel. If it were a 26" barrel, then you might gain 80 up to maybe 120 fps in total. Realistically, that`s no big gain in terms of hardly any downrange advantage.

The things you need to concentrate on, is getting plenty long range shooting practice and chronographing your loads in order to know what your bullet trajectories are. More confidence makes a big difference.

As a tip, go to the Hornady site and use their external ballistics table, fill in the blanks and compare your 150 Barnes to a 180 Barnes for some downrange comparisons.

If it were me, and although slower from the muzzle, I`d be more inclined using a heavier bullet than a 150 gr for longer ranges on elk. It`s not so much the speed out of the muzzle that matters, it`s the downrange #s that matter more.

6x magnification is fine for 600-700 yd kills on elk.

And when you plan and practice for that long shot, that`s always when it seems, the 40 to 150 yard gift shots show themselves.
Cartridge is fine, 22"'barrel is fine as long as it shoots.

Your bullet isn't so good for 600 yards though. Use the 168 TTSX or a 180 Accubond instead.

Scope... I've not shot a 6x at 600 yards... I've shot a Leup 2.5-8 a bunch that far though. It works.

Unless you are rich and can afford a Swaro Z6 or the like, I'd say forget a scope with 12x or 16x on the top end; it'll compromise the lower end, 3x-4x, which is arguably more important.

Here's how I'm running my 22" 30-06 to great effect out to 600 yards. 3-9 Conquest, $369 shipped from Doug, running the little stock turret, which is totally usable, in Talley LW's. Great setup from 6 yards to 600, cheap, works, done.
Cartridge is fine, 22"'barrel is fine as long as it shoots.

Your bullet isn't so good for 600 yards though. Use the 168 TTSX or a 180 Accubond instead. Or, the 200-gn Accubond at 2700 fps with RL17 is best of all if it'll shoot for you, near to far. Remember, drop is easy, wind is hard. If you really want to be able to shoot 600 yards, forget "flatness", that's fool's gold. Look for accuracy and best possible wind drift with a bullet that'll also work close. Hence the 200-gn Accubond if it'll shoot at a decent speed for you. I got to 2700 fps in my 22" '06 FWIW...

Scope... I've not shot a 6x at 600 yards... I've shot a Leup 2.5-8 a bunch that far though. It works.

Unless you are rich and can afford a Swaro Z6 or the like, I'd say forget a scope with 12x or 16x on the top end; it'll compromise (or not even have!) the lower end, 3x-4x, which is arguably more important.

Here's how I'm running my 22" 30-06 to great effect out to 600 yards. 3-9 Conquest, $369 shipped from Doug, running the little stock turret, which is totally usable, in Talley LW's. Great setup from 6 yards to 600, cheap, works, done. Shoot this rig all the time. I run the 165-gn NBT usually, for cost and convenience sake. That about duplicates the 168 TTSX flight ballistics. It's workable if not ideal at 600... at 450, 500 it's great.

600 yds is right about where things get wierd. You truly want to shoot game at 600 yds- get your gear in order and start practicing. There are many hundreds of rounds in your future this summer- at best! smile
Ive got a 22" barrel on my Model 70, Burris FF 3-9 shooting 168 A-Max & MKs shooting out to 300yds getting about 2700fps @muzzle, it usually shoots under MOA at that range, I too would stick with a bit heavier bullet than a 150 out to 600, but if youre shooting a good bullet like a 150Interbond and alike you should have no issues and if you can hold a 10" group at 600. I plan on trying a 600 yard shoot next month, curious to see how my rifles and I do.
My set up is pushing 3000 at the muzzle.

I plan on taking it out Thursday and shooting a group or at least hit the target with it at 600 yards.

I have used a 22-250 at 700 yards but that was with a high powered scope and set up on a porch. Not with a lower power scope off a pack or bi pod.
I've been pushing the 200 grain Nosler partition for about 50 years now. Your 22 inch barrel, a NP going 25-2600 fps and a 4 0r 6 power scope will work fine if you practice a little and learn the drop tables and how to judge the distance.

It will also work fine on that 30 yard "gift shot" which occurs more than one would think.

Wayne
My set up is pushing 3000 at the muzzle.

I plan on taking it out Thursday and shooting a group or at least hit the target with it at 600 yards.

I have used a 22-250 at 700 yards but that was with a high powered scope and set up on a porch. Not with a lower power scope off a pack or bi pod.

High power scopes are cool, and can help you see mirage that a lower power one wouldn't, but out to 600 yds I've had very good luck with scopes topping out at 8x, 9x, 10x... since most of my rifles are regular hunting guns that I shoot at LR with, I much prefer to learn to use a regular, rather than specialty, scope.

There's some focus on group size here, and that's important as far as it goes. Just remember that the good group needs to be where you want it to be right? That's where your lower-BC bullet choice will be maybe problematic. Those 150's will be very much affected by wind.

I predict that you'll find your load to be quite usable out to about 450, maybe 500 yds. I predict that extensive shooting will show you that the load kind of "falls apart" in terms of actual hits on target, past 500 yds. That's been my experience anyway. There's a point where shooter error, rifle inaccuracies, and the gorilla in the closet that is wind movement combine to tell you that you've hit your practical limit with a given setup (again, in a hunting context- IE, reliable first-shot hits). I predict you'll see that around 450, 500 with that 150 TTSX. Let me know if I'm right or wrong. smile
For lots of info on the 30/06 Springfield try riflemansjournal.blogspot.com.

The downside of shooting a light barrel is the long wait time after a few shots and the barrel is hot. Cold weather is almost essential to get any shooting in.
Do not change a thing - put the money into cartridges.

Shoot from fieldpositions. Determine your and your equipments limits.

Most likely yours are much lower than the rifles.

Before you can match that - meaning, a miss is the rifles fault, not a thing need be changed.

Nobody can buy experience. (Stickism)
I will bet you that if you kill a cow elk 95% of the time it will be under 300 yards. If the elk is farther than 300 yards try getting closer, it is called hunting not shooting.
You are good with both. Figure out your trajectory, find an accurate load, practice.
Many have had a successful hunt with lesser of a set up. Practice, practice and practice some more. Then go hunting, enjoy yourself, take pictures and then tell us about it.

You have a very nice rifle. The setup is fine, all you need is more range time. You will become more proficient with it. It you give your gun a chance it will make you most happy.

Hope you are having a nice summer.

Take care.
I'm thinking that to take a cow elk, you're not going to have to shoot anywhere near 500 or 600 yards.

Seems you've got a great general-purpose rifle & scope. Be in decent shape, be prepared to make a good shot at "normal" shooting ranges from field conditions. You'll have a freezer full of elk meat and a great story to tell.

Regards, Guy
The .30/06 is fine for long range hunting. I have used it on pronghorn at hold over ranges and it is great.

John
Originally Posted by GuyM
I'm thinking that to take a cow elk, you're not going to have to shoot anywhere near 500 or 600 yards.

That is whay I think too, unless he is wanting to shoot that far. I'd zero for MPBR on an 8" target diameter (gives a little wiggle room) which should get you close to 300+ yards depending on speed and bullet. Then I'd practice from field positions out as far as your local range will let you go. You'll know by the time you go on your hunt what distance you can comfortably shoot.
My pet .30-06 is a 24" commercial Mauser from the 50s with a custom English style stock. I don't know who made it (bench marked "H within a diamond just behind the silver grip cap.) Several years ago I found that 180 Hornady Light magnums worked well for both velocity and good enough hunting accuracy, and I bought a bunch of them. Friend's Chrony shows just over 2900. I am about out and glad of it. The last Mule deer I shot with it was a little over 200, going away and about to go over a ridge when I shot. A true Texas heart shot as there was no entry wound. The deer's pelvis was destroyed but so was the bullet. I shot him again in the neck as he tried to crawl away. The bonded bullets in their newer Super Performance ammo should be better, or I may go to Accubonds or Partitions loading my own. I still have a small stash of H205, and I can easily duplicate the 2900 velocity. jack
I listened to Rodney Carrington and a song he wrote that is the same as this topic only slightly different.
this topic: " I got a Dirty ott six with a short old barrel that wont shoot long range.... hubba, hubba,hubba hey !!!!!

Original: "I got a 12" dick and a dozen roses, and a pick-up truck....hubba, hubba,hubba hey !!!!!
Hey! I resemble that remark!

whistle
Shooting long range is fun but it is even more fun to be able to say you spotted the animal from half a mile and stalked within 100,200, or 300 yards of it. Practice your shooting Winnie but dont forget the sneakin' skills are a very important factor of being successful.
Originally Posted by jt402
My pet .30-06 is a 24" commercial Mauser from the 50s with a custom English style stock. I don't know who made it (bench marked "H within a diamond just behind the silver grip cap.) Several years ago I found that 180 Hornady Light magnums worked well for both velocity and good enough hunting accuracy, and I bought a bunch of them. Friend's Chrony shows just over 2900. I am about out and glad of it. The last Mule deer I shot with it was a little over 200, going away and about to go over a ridge when I shot. A true Texas heart shot as there was no entry wound. The deer's pelvis was destroyed but so was the bullet. I shot him again in the neck as he tried to crawl away. The bonded bullets in their newer Super Performance ammo should be better, or I may go to Accubonds or Partitions loading my own. I still have a small stash of H205, and I can easily duplicate the 2900 velocity. jack

You should post a pic of that rifle. Bob Hagel used to have a "H" on his riles. You may have something unique there.
Winnie how is the practice going? I have seen an 18" .308 get multiple hits at 1000 on a 12" gong so the ballistics of a short barreled 30-06 will not be an issue.
Here's how I'm running my 24" 300 Win Mag out to 500 yards. 3.5 X10 X40 BDC Reticle. Leupold 1 piece base and rings, Chet Brown stock.reasonable, works, a proven preformer. 180 AB's or Partition will work great

A 16 power scope is not necessary, elk are big and easy to see. Most of your shots will be at 200 or less
I've never shot an Elk, but that 150 grainer at 06 velocities won't cut it at 600yd, best utilised at 400 and under with impact velocities over 2400 for dramatic wounding on game in the 200-300lb mark.
180gr partion would be my pick driven as fast as you can, great within 400 and adequate to 700 for game of that size.
If you do opt for the lighter pills aim for the neck or brush up on your tracking skills.
Good luck
You pretty much lost me on the "I've never shot an elk", but if it hadn't been for that part you'd of lost me for sure on the later part.. wink

Dober
That was a peach of a post.....
Originally Posted by mtn-hunter
I've never shot an Elk, but that 150 grainer at 06 velocities won't cut it at 600yd, best utilised at 400 and under with impact velocities over 2400 for dramatic wounding on game in the 200-300lb mark.
180gr partion would be my pick driven as fast as you can, great within 400 and adequate to 700 for game of that size.
If you do opt for the lighter pills aim for the neck or brush up on your tracking skills.
Good luck

You're the official winner of the biggest bullschit post of the day award. That's quite the honor with Jayco and Swampy also active. Congratulations?
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
... Unless you are rich and can afford a Swaro Z6 or the like, I'd say forget a scope with 12x or 16x on the top end; it'll compromise (or not even have!) the lower end, 3x-4x, which is arguably more important. ...

I'd agree ... but there are a gobs of 4-12x options out there. VX-II or 3200 4-12x or .... and live happily ever after.
Originally Posted By: Jeff_O
... Unless you are rich and can afford a Swaro Z6 or the like, I'd say forget a scope with 12x or 16x on the top end; it'll compromise (or not even have!) the lower end, 3x-4x, which is arguably more important. ...

I'd agree ... but there are a gobs of 4-12x options out there. VX-II or 3200 4-12x or .... and live happily ever after.

If you boys ever get over to Grants Pass, give call and I will let you get a look of 3X and 4X with a 4 1/2-30X and a 5-25X. If you accept the truth, you will tell me 3X and 4X are about as clear and bright as anything you have.
Good luck
Loving the "wisdom" in this post. Admits to not shooting an elk--no telling where he has stretched the truth; wonder has he ever fired an '06...
Assuming an altitude around 2500 and 50 degrees, at 600 yards you'll only be at 1870 fps and 1164 lbs of energy. Getting really weak for elk at that range. But... what I'd be more concerned with is field accuracy (not off a bench at the range) and ability to read and adjust for wind.
22 will work for 600 but youll be better at 500 AND get 165 or 168 BTSP ammo or 168 VLD ammo. It makes it lot easier to reach out. My wifes 22" Sav 111 is zeroed at 425 and Im sure she can do 500 easy. Altho a 24"bbl is better, not a lot of 30-06 have 26" but they are out there and would be even better. Or mobetter. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
You pretty much lost me on the "I've never shot an elk", but if it hadn't been for that part you'd of lost me for sure on the later part.. wink

Dober

Intresting comments.
Elk is a deer just like all the other deer species of the world it's the size of the animal, projectile and caliber relationship that counts. An 150gr ttsx won't do [bleep] all at 600yd unless hit in the head or neck. You will wound the animal and it will run away to die a miserable death.
Love to see any pics of an elk being hit with that projy and wouldn't it be nice to see the autopsy of said Elk as well, some real study of bullet performance, but hey if your google search skills are any good you may just come across something.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Good luck

You're the official winner of the biggest bullschit post of the day award. That's quite the honor with Jayco and Swampy also active. Congratulations?

As for you [bleep] head you amuse me with your ignorance and stupidity
Meesa thinks you mis-understood my post.
Meesa thinks you mis-understood my post.

Sorry man. Never the less, when you get here give me a call and we will have pie and coffee instead.
Intresting comments.
Elk is a deer just like all the other deer species of the world it's the size of the animal, projectile and caliber relationship that counts. An 150gr ttsx won't do [bleep] all at 600yd unless hit in the head or neck. You will wound the animal and it will run away to die a miserable death.
Love to see any pics of an elk being hit with that projy and wouldn't it be nice to see the autopsy of said Elk as well, some real study of bullet performance, but hey if your google search skills are any good you may just come across something.

I guess the bull elk I killed with a lung shot from a 270 Win, 130 TSX at 545 yards didn't get the memo about "running away to die a miserable death". Unless you count the 50 yards he jogged before keeling over a tough tracking job. Maybe if he was another 65 yards further away the results would have been different? Maybe if I'd been using a 30-06 with 150 TTSX he'd of only been wounded? Nah... he'd still be dead. smirk

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Intresting comments.
Love to see any pics of an elk being hit with that projy and wouldn't it be nice to see the autopsy of said Elk as well, some real study of bullet performance but hey if your google search skills are any good you may just come across something.

I guess the bull elk I killed with a lung shot from a 270 Win, 130 TSX at 545 yards didn't get the memo about "running away to die a miserable death". Unless you count the 50 yards he jogged before keeling over a tough tracking job. Maybe if he was another 65 yards further away the results would have been different? Maybe if I'd been using a 30-06 with 150 TTSX he'd of only been wounded? Nah... he'd still be dead. smirk

Pall I've got nothing to prove and I don't really care what you belive or do, but if want to attack me (for offering SOUND ADVICE and thats ALL it is, it dosn't mean it's my way or the highway it's simply SOUND ADVICE) then what'd you expect, I could go to town on your post, I could probably go back through your 487 posts and pic the sh*t out of you!!!!!!!! but what for, I've got no intrest in belittling or attacking you for your advice.
After re-reading my post it dose sound opinionated and I should have wrote "I've never shot an Elk, but I dont think that" instead.......But it's still sound advice.

This is not meant to be provoking, purely research, do you have any pics of your elk you shot in it�s gutted state or how that that 130gr pill performed on the vitals?
Guess I forgot my manners for a bit there. I was trying to give some good advice as well (though my first post certainly wasn't helpful eek).

As for the bull elk, I didn't gut him. Packed him out so I quartered him up and never got into the chest cavity. Never found the bullet, but IMHO, the bullet performed fine. I try not to argue with dead game that falls within a reasonable distance. Impact velocity would have been around 1960 fps.

Also, welcome to the Fire!

Winnie1300

In a word, �No�. Or at least not necessarily.

Last year I took two rifles to the range for a final practice session before elk season � Both Ruger MKII�s, one in .300WM (24�) and one in .30-06 (22�) . At 600 yards I took a total of 5 shots, 2 with one and 3 with the other. Each nailed a clay pigeon and the misses were still very close.

Yesterday my hunting buddy and I were at the range practicing for antelope season. We didn�t bother with clays at 600 due to the wind, but we were keeping on steel pretty easily, most of the misses being left or right due to the gusty winds we were battling. Rifles included a 26� .280 Rem, a 24� 6.5=06AI and a 22� .30-06. No difference in ability to hit the steel.
mtn-hunter,

Dunno who you are, and can't imagine how you KNOW a 150-grain .30-06 load won't kill an elk, since by your own admission you've never killed one. But I do know prairie_goat, and would guess from your posts so far that he knows a LOT more about rifles, shooting and hunting big game than you can ever pretend to.
Originally Posted by abc
. . . If the elk is farther than 300 yards try getting closer, it is called hunting not shooting.

clever. I'll have to file that one.
Somehow or another 299 yds is hunting but at 301 it isn't... wink

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Somehow or another 299 yds is hunting but at 301 it isn't... wink

Dober

I have noticed that when your boot soles are hanging over thin air on this side of the canyon.....and the elk is on the other side...it is kinda tough to stalk on thin air,except through the forces of divine intervention.

Hiking down one side, and up the other to get closer,is an option,of course....but things rarely look the same when you get there,as the screening cover and folds in the land that were not apparent before, suddenly make them selves known;you do your best,but elk are smarter than us.....ask me how I know.I can still see a B&C elk rack making rooster tails of oak brush leaves and twigs after he detected me at 40 yards,after I hiked over, instead of shooting from the far canyon. frown cry

This does not mean we have tacit license to shoot wildly,and beyond sure kill distance for us.....but the ability to hit effectively at distance can be a hunt saver,and is a perfectly legitimate part of the hunt.Let your conscience and skill sets guide you wink
Good luck

As "The BS Flows" is a show that always runs here at the FIRE
© 24hourcampfire