Home
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Sako TRGs - 11/29/11
I have noticed that the TRG is not nearly as popular a rifle here as other places.

The one I am currently shooting was a lot less expensive than some of the custom guns I put together in the past and in hindsight I should have purchased a TRG 22 and 42 a long time ago, along with a pair of top end scopes and called it good. I would have been a ton of money ahead.

I cringe when I think of the $$ I have spent on custom rifles. Of couse the same goes for custom hanguns....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PaleRider Re: Sako TRGs - 11/29/11
Sako definitely knows how to build 'em MS.
Everyone of those guns I've shot(three of my own plus a couple more that friends have had)were just great shooters - every bit as good as custom rigs I've had as well.
Posted By: shortside Re: Sako TRGs - 11/29/11
That is a great looking set up. I always watch for these on the 2nd hand market, but don't see them very often. I missed a local one last year for what I thought was an OK price - turns out I should have jumped on it.

Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Sako TRGs - 11/29/11
I have not put my TRG 42 .300 WM through it's paces yet, but it is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever put my hands on. Load development was a joke. It was a matter of picking what velocity I wanted to run the 180 acubonds at, not what powder charge the rifle liked.

Mackay, as you know from another forum, I was going to modify my TRG to make it a little more hunter friendly. I decided to leave it alone! I see you have a cheek piece spacer like mine- did you get it made from the fellow at SH?

I took mine beanfield hunting this past weekend, but did not have deer far enough away to shoot. Under 300 yards just ain't sporting to the deer.

I bought mine for the exact reason you mentioned. It is a relatively inexpensive out of the box rifle with a trigger that can't be beat, that shoots lights out. If someone is looking to carry this rifle for any distance, well that's another story (for me anyway).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BBsteel Re: Sako TRGs - 11/30/11
I'm a fan here although I have nothing custom in the like to compare it against. Mines a .308 and shoots the 168 SMK/Varget combo excellent. It also shoots the 155 Scenar/Varget combo great. Not excellent because they don't one hole at 100 like the 168's do....at least for me. For the price I got it for it was hard for me to say no and go with a custom. Especially if I want to sell it if I didn't like it. Not the case with this guy. If I did one thing over, I wouldn't have gone so "heavy" on the badger rings/base to get it a little lighter for some future Beanfield style hunting.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Sako TRGs - 11/30/11
Nice rigs.

Now you all hush about the TRG's . I can't afford to totally devastate the budget on one. smile
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Sako TRGs - 11/30/11
What about a rebarrel? Not so much of an issue with the 22/308 but definetely with the magnums.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Sako TRGs - 11/30/11
I lugged mine up a tower stand this past weekend. It needs a freaking crane to get it up there, BUT once I got settled in, I felt like I could deliver the mail way the hell out there.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 11/30/11
Sakoluvr,

To answer your question in regards to the cheekpiece spacer, yes it was made by the gentleman over at the Hide. His workmanship is top notch. In fact, Sako should contract with him, as his spacer is better than the factory ones I have seen.
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Sako TRGs - 12/02/11
I noticed that EuroOptic is offering a TRG in .260 Rem. Anyone have experience here?
Those are some sharp rigs. I particularly like the brown one, Mackay Sagebrush. Would love to see them offer a bit lighter weight version.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Sako TRGs - 12/03/11
Hey Mack! How the hell have ya been? It's always good to see that you're still above ground!
Posted By: Rman Re: Sako TRGs - 12/03/11
Originally Posted by Gies340
I noticed that EuroOptic is offering a TRG in .260 Rem. Anyone have experience here?
Those are some sharp rigs. I particularly like the brown one, Mackay Sagebrush. Would love to see them offer a bit lighter weight version.

EuroOptic is good to go. Great service and comunication. You won't go wrong.

R.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Sako TRGs - 12/03/11
Whats the street price run on the TRG? I know I did a Surgeon RSR, brux barrel, CDI bottom metal and a BC light tactical stock for under $2000 and dont know what else I would need.

Posted By: Rman Re: Sako TRGs - 12/04/11
Short action, or long?

R.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Sako TRGs - 12/11/11
I've tested 3 different TRG-42 rifles in .338 Lapua and ALL THREE delivered tight groups back to 1400 yards! There's a lot of engineering that goes into these rifles! The average Joe...just wouldn't appreciate their quality! Make damn certain you clean after each shooting session to prevent copper buildup!!
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 12/12/11
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Hey Mack! How the hell have ya been? It's always good to see that you're still above ground!

Been gone since the first of december elk hunting. Just got back into town. Before that I was laying low, working. Been off the radar a while. Back on the screen again..
Posted By: 458Win Re: Sako TRGs - 12/14/11
I don't have any "real" use for them any longer - but they sure are fun to shoot

[Linked Image]
Posted By: StoneCold Re: Sako TRGs - 12/14/11
Phil,

Can't tell you how hard I laughed you had Krylon on it!! I love it.

SC
Posted By: Whisky Re: Sako TRGs - 12/15/11
Originally Posted by BBsteel
Mines a .308 and shoots the 168 SMK/Varget combo excellent. It also shoots the 155 Scenar/Varget combo great. Not excellent because they don't one hole at 100 like the 168's do....at least for me.
[Linked Image]

You should shoot your Scenar load at 2 or 300 yds, and compare it to the SMKs. The Scenar isn't a 100yd bullet. I've read and heard from many they don't stabilize until 100-150yds. I kind of believe them. My groups aren't all that great at 100, better at 200, but 3 and 400 they are awesome.

Just something to consider.
Posted By: Phasmid Re: Sako TRGs - 12/15/11
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Whats the street price run on the TRG? I know I did a Surgeon RSR, brux barrel, CDI bottom metal and a BC light tactical stock for under $2000 and dont know what else I would need.

How long ago was that? A RSR bare action is listed at $1250. Their complete rifles seem to start at $4,200 on their website. You did fantastic for less than $2,000.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Sako TRGs - 12/15/11
No kidding-

$1250------ action
$300------- barrel
$500------- stock
$200------- bottom metal
$250------- paint/coating
$140------- trigger
______
$2640 minimum and you either have to smith it yourself or spend another $350-$500.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 12/15/11
Originally Posted by 458Win
I don't have any "real" use for them any longer - but they sure are fun to shoot

[Linked Image]

Cool Pic!

I dig the krylon myself.

Until I purchased one, I had never fired a TRG that was not kryloned by the end user. I intend to keep mine plain brown since it is not a work rifle, just a hunting/play toy.

Posted By: RJM Re: Sako TRGs - 12/19/11
...I do understand why people sell these rifles...they are accurately boring.... grin

I had two Remington LTRs, one in .308 and the other in .223...they were both true .25 MOA guns for a far out as one could hold...but the stocks didn't fit me for prone shooting so instead of doing the smart thing and selling the original McMillian stock and buying something with an adjustable LOP and cheek rest I sold them...

A few months ago a LNIB TRG-22 18" treaded .308 with a 16X IOR scope came up for sale for less than the price of just the rifle...so it replaced the two LTRs... Only had a chance to fire 20 round so far but once I learned how it like to be held the last 4 shot of some Lack City Match could be covered with a dime. The last two shots of the day were at 600 and they landed 2.5" apart.

One thing I do have to buy is the riser that you both have...is this the same guy who sells on GunBroker?

Great shooting all and have a great Christmas...

Bob
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 01/03/12
Good elk rifles,

Just a bit on the heavy side...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 01/18/12
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Sako TRGs - 01/18/12
Sharp rig; I like the Crown Royal rear bag!

Any chance those pictures are taken in Wyoming?

What caliber?
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 01/18/12
The pics are all in Idaho.

The Crown Royal bag is something I came up with when I was shooting around other people and my bags would "accidentally" get picked up.

The one I am packing up the hill is a TRG 42 in 300 win. It is my dads. My wife and I were out looking to fill her cow tag last month and I am the pack mule. I carry the backpack and rifle. She carries the camera.

The second TRG is mine (the brown one) and is a TRG22 in .308

Great rifles.
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Sako TRGs - 12/23/12
Cool thread I wanted to bring back life...
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 12/29/12
No worries,

I need to dust it off and go sit up on a hill top and kill some 'yotes or bunnies at dusk anyways. Now all I have to do is find the time.....

Posted By: eh76 Re: Sako TRGs - 12/29/12
Nice rifles gents!
Posted By: hogan Re: Sako TRGs - 07/24/13
Regarding the "cool Elk rifle" post above...

Cool if you don't mind a 14lb carry. Best thing about the TRG-42 is ease of switch-barreling. TRG-S barrels thread perfectly, drop finished weight to about 8.5lbs and shoot like a house-on-fire.

Want even more fun? Get a .473 (12mm) bolt-body and rebarrel for .338-06 or one of the .280win variants.

Then there are the actual sporter-stocked TRG-s rifles which are fine rifles in their own right.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 07/28/13
I am pretty sure every poster here has much lighter rifles for mountain hunting or whatever task they choose.

That being said, it is just plain fun to shoot the TRGs, and that is reason enough.

It falls under the same reason why I hunt jackrabbits with .44 Mags.

Because I can. smile

MS
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Sako TRGs - 07/29/13
Rebarrel?
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Sako TRGs - 07/29/13
I'd hunt with a 14 lb rifle too if I had a Sherpa to carry it! laugh

Cool rig; I'd like to shoot one some day.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Sako TRGs - 07/29/13
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Rebarrel?

Rebarrel?
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Sako TRGs - 07/30/13
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have noticed that the TRG is not nearly as popular a rifle here as other places.

The one I am currently shooting was a lot less expensive than some of the custom guns I put together in the past and in hindsight I should have purchased a TRG 22 and 42 a long time ago, along with a pair of top end scopes and called it good. I would have been a ton of money ahead.

I cringe when I think of the $$ I have spent on custom rifles. Of couse the same goes for custom hanguns....

[Linked Image]

+1 I see you have the Sako bipod. I'm going to try and find/fit a less costly unit. Nice color, mine is green. 338 Lapua?
Posted By: Teal Re: Sako TRGs - 07/31/13
Saw a few today at a GS I hadn't ever been to.

Price was in the 3k range or so. Don't know exact because I wasn't looking at it all that hard. (Les Baer in the case below it had my eye for 1/2 that)
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 08/04/13
Rebarrel?

TAK,

Mine is not a rebarrel. Original Sako tube on this one.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 08/04/13
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

[Linked Image]

+1 I see you have the Sako bipod. I'm going to try and find/fit a less costly unit. Nice color, mine is green. 338 Lapua?

The bipod shown is actually a Harris. The 6-9 swivel version with a track plate behind it. The track plate rides better over backpacks, bags, whatever and makes it harder to have an error due to canting the rifle. This TRG is the TRG 22 in .308. Green TRGs are easy to look at too. smile
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Sako TRGs - 08/04/13
Rebarrel?

TAK,

Mine is not a rebarrel. Original Sako tube on this one.

My point is, what are you up against when it is time to rebarrel? I found a few vendors that offer barrels. VERY FEW that advertise their installation. I realize a lathe can be set up to cut any thread pitch, problem is getting some one to do it. A 700 Remington is the "small-block chevy" of the rifle world, mainly cause it is the cheapest, far and away, to work on. Just sayin'.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Sako TRGs - 08/04/13
I have to look at harris but fitting it may be a problem. How did you put a track there without modifying|?
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 08/06/13
TAK,

I am fortunate in that my local smith works on Tikkas, Sakos, 700s, no matter to him. The last T3 he put a Lilja tube on, I dropped it off one afternoon and picked it up the next. I have never heard him even grouch about working on the Fin guns.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sako TRGs - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
I have to look at harris but fitting it may be a problem. How did you put a track there without modifying|?

The track plate bolts right into the TRGs fore end rail. I am just using a competition shooters piece of kit and adapting it to enhance performance in the field. Since it is small and made of aluminum, the added weight is nominal and I find it really helps stabilize the gun shooting over a pack.

www.whiddengunworks.net
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Sako TRGs - 08/06/13
Ok thanks for info.
© 24hourcampfire