Home
Posted By: Tanner First "Long Range" Setup - 01/12/12
I'm right in the middle of my senior year, and it's my first winter in a long time not skiing competitively and traveling around the country. Recently, I got into longer range shooting, and decided to turn our old 700 243 into a long range 'yote and steel killer!

So I basically just dove in head first... threw a rattle can job on the old synthetic stock and a Burris Fullfield II I had around, and then sent the scope off to Burris for an elevation turret.

Mickey Coleman sent me a new takeoff 243 tube, and Dan Dowling trued up my reciever, lugs, and bolt face and screwed the new pipe on for me. Dan and Mickey are awesome guys!

So here it is all setup, some Burris Signature Zee Rings (thanks for the recommendation JordanSmith) and a cheapo 20 MOA base. As it sits boresighted I've got about 35 MOA of up in this scope, hopefully it'll stay around 30 after I zero! I've also got one of those Bushnell 3200 10x Tacticals to try on it.

A total polished turd, but hey I'm on a budget smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the cell phone pics!
Posted By: LeRoy Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/12/12
There is nothing wrong with that, my friend.
As long as it shoots, what does it matter?

I use the same scope on a 300 RUM with no problems, you should be fine.

Have fun with it!

Later.....
Hey if MC and Dr Dan worked on it I'm 4 betting it'll be a rock star.

Dober
Posted By: 444Matt Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/12/12
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Hey if MC and Dr Dan worked on it I'm 4 betting it'll be a rock star.

Dober

Yup, don't know the other gentleman, but Mr. Coleman is the best!

Would love to hear how you end up liking that Bushnel fixed 10x, been thinking about those.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/12/12
Matt.. haven't shot with the Bushy 10x yet, but when I stuck it in some mounts on this rig and used 2 sets of 20 inserts, I had like 70 MOA of up as it sat boresighted. The turrets are huge, and the clicks are really crisp. Big fat pieces of brass in the turrets, the construction seems good!

Dober, I haven't personally met Mickey, but Dan has gotta be one of the cooler guys I've ever met! He let me watch the whole process and schooled me on a bunch of stuff I asked about. Really good fellow.
Nice to see it come together. Good fun with it is next.
Can't wait for this week to be over, I've got a bunch of 105 AMAXes over h4350 to try out... stoked!
Posted By: yukonal Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/12/12
If it holds 1 moa out to 600, it's gonna be fun. Now for load developement, and break-in...
I'd be tickled! I have aspirations for a grand, but as of now they are just aspirations smile

If I can't get to 2900+ with the H4350, I think Retumbo may be the ticket.
Looking good! That scope isn't touching the rail, is it? Let me know how you end up liking that scope!

Did you end up getting the chamber reamed to .243AI, or did you stick with the SAAMI version?

The 105gr A-Max should work out great for you!
Posted By: TopCat Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/12/12
Rem 243 tubes are often very usable for a factory tube. In the end, it doesn't matter how much you spent, but how small your groups are.

Sometimes a little tuning by someone who knows where to tweak can turn something average into something great. Make sure that the forend is floated and rock on!

I get a kick out of rifles I am into for less than $500 shooting as well as the $5k rig in the next lane...must be all that extra Krylon I use...:)

TC
Jordan, I knew somebody would spot the rail! It's not touching, but the clearance is like a sheet of paper thick! I'm gonna pull it and dremmel a few CMs off the end, that should do it.

The turret ain't heavy duty, but it spins and its got numbers, I think I'll like it just fine. Can't wait to stretch it out. I kept it SAAMI spec for simplicitys sake wink

TopCat, the last 243 tube on here shot itty bitty groups with 87 BTHPs and 85TTSX and had a decent little blood count- I think 2 or 3 elk and probably 7 mulies/antelope! Gotta love taking yes for an answer smile
Should be a great rifle for you, congrats! Don't overlook r17 w/105s.
Nice lookin' rifle Tanner. I don't know Mr. Coleman or Mr. Dowling personally, but I do know them by reputation, and you had two of the best tuning that rig for ya. I think you're gonna like that Bushnell 3200; some people just don't like Bushnell, but I have a Bushnell 3200 on my daughter's slug gun, and it's digested a steady diet of shotgun slugs without a hiccup.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/14/12
Thanks 'Dood, its shooting decent so far... Should tighten up.
Posted By: 30338 Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/14/12
Glad to hear the man in Palisade worked with you. Hope it works well.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/14/12
With Mr. Colman and Mr. Dowling you cant do wrong.

dave
Only thing bumming me out is how clean I cannot get the barrel. Black and sooty repeatedly... Any ideas?
Is it a new barrel? Are you getting any copper fouling too, or just mainly powder fouling?
New barrel... Came from Alabama, I think it actually had a little rust inside... Ugh
Stop cleaning and just shoot it til acc drops off. Then give it a quick cleaning.
Kinda what I did yesterday Brad. I've never minded a dirty bore smile it kinda just put me off a bit. The last tube on it shot bugholes with 85 TSX and Magpro and it hadn't seen a patch or brush in probably 400 rounds.
Put some DBC in the bore, and THEN shoot till accuracy drops off. wink

Cleaning will be quick and painless, too.
You just run DBC in, even with a dirty bore?

I was thinking about honing on it a little with some JB welds.
DBC = Dyna Bore Coat? It might be a good idea to run some patches of JB Bore Cleaner through it to smooth the interior, and even finish it off with JB Bore Polish. Then, if DBC = Dyna Bore Coat, your bore needs to be cleaned down to bare metal, the DBC is allowed to cure for 24 hours, then you take it to the range and fire 10 rounds rapidly to cure it. If you got it sufficiently smooth with the JB products, your copper fouling will all but disappear. However, powder fouling from a 'dirty' powder will still be some what of a problem, but not near as bad as you're experiencing now.
Yeah... I'd really like to get it totally clean, but it's not gonna bum me out if I just shoot the beans out of it dirty... its just a factory tube afterall.
If it was a used tube, maybe it had been shot with moly'd bullets. I'd just shoot it and not fret the cleanliness too much.
The JB bore paste cleans it mechanically (it's a really, really mild lapping compound) whereas other cleaners clean your bore chemically. The JB Bore Polish is an even finer lapping/polishing compound.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/15/12
Shane the barrel was a new takeoff, but it had just collected a buncha dust and dirt... I'm gonna Jb it soon.
OK. Sometimes new factory barrels are pretty dirty inside. I wonder if they clean them at all between machining and test firing, if they even test fire every rifle.
Makes me wonder as well... I bet not. I'm just trying to keep the college fund the COLLEGE fund... Not the custom barrel fund smile
GOOD thinking! I'm sure there are people in the world who make their living shooting long range riflery, but your odds are a lot better attending an institution of higher learning and picking a profession that is more in the mainstream.
Posted By: 30338 Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/15/12
I'd reckon your average takeoff barrel ain't gonna run with your average custom tube. That said, sure it will offer useable accuracy for your college years.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Makes me wonder as well... I bet not. I'm just trying to keep the college fund the COLLEGE fund... Not the custom barrel fund smile

You have a lot more LR gun than I did at your age. Shoot the crap out of it and learn.

Kinda scary to think where you will be in 20 years. laugh laugh

I gotta go out and practice as the young guys are coming on strong.
Tanner,

John is the only man I know who makes his living shooting out past a mile. A few more guys do it, though I think the number of men who can really shoot to a mile and beyond is probably a pretty small group. But again, I think more than a handful of them post on here.

John,

Post that pic of the gong you hit 3 times out of 3 tries at 1760 (?) yards in Montana last year with a 20 mph cross wind.
This LR stuff is cool... so damn much to learn. I reckon I will stretch the 243s legs out on Monday, got the day off of school wink
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/15/12
I have good luck with H1000 and 105's in my 243. I run Norma brass, cci 250s, and 47.5 g h1000 under both amaxes and vld's. Both run almost 3100 from my 26" brux and shoot sub 1/2 moa. They both shoot to almost the same poi.

Bb
BB, I've heard really good things about Retumbo and H1000 under the 105s. I'll check them out if H4350 doesn't get me the speeds I'm looking for.
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I don't know Mr. Coleman or Mr. Dowling personally, but I do know them by reputation,

MagnumVagina,
I guess this goes for Gordy Gritters too ???????
Funny how you like to ride other's reputation's instead of having experience of your own.

John is the only man I know who makes his living shooting out past a mile. A few more guys do it, though I think the number of men who can really shoot to a mile and beyond is probably a pretty small group. But again, I think more than a handful of them post on here.

Magvag,
You are posting riding the coattails of others yet again with no experience of your own.
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I don't know Mr. Coleman or Mr. Dowling personally, but I do know them by reputation,

MagnumVagina,
I guess this goes for Gordy Gritters too ???????
Funny how you like to ride other's reputation's instead of having experience of your own.

Butt-auger,

I know Gordy quite well, but, that's not the point. I'm not a gunsmith and I never claimed to be a gunsmith.

Nor do I earn my living shooting as does John Burns. Very few people actually earn a paycheck shooting. Go ahead, name a couple of dozen folks who earn their paycheck doing nothing but shooting. Hell, name a dozen if you can.

Finally, stfu, Tanner doesn't need you crapping on his thread. Start another thread about me if you wish. Man, you've probably licked a groove in the window on your seat in the short bus.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/17/12
C'mon fellas play nice, if you wanna talk shizzle go to the optics forum wink
My apologies Tanner. I probably should have put him on ignore to begin with rather than reply to his nonsense. He's on ignore now. Again, my apologies for contributing to crapping on your thread.
Just playin around smile I never mind a little debate
That wasn't debate.
Posted By: Nrut Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/17/12
So, did'ja shoot it today ??
TannerGun,
Sorry for "crapping on your thread",I was just trying to point out how magnumvagina work's. she does not mind sticking her nose in and crapping on anyone's thread, but do that to her and she acts like a little girl (hence the moniker)and puts you on ignore.
Nrut, I didn't get a chance to shoot it yesterday- it didn't stop dumping all day and there wasn't much visibility beyond about 150 yards, so stretching it out would've been impossible. I'll play hookie this week and go air it out.

boatanchor- I don't really pay too much attention to stuff like that, and I'm thinking if you have the time to follow somebody around on an internet forum and berate them, then you need to pick up an extra hobby or something...
Posted By: Nrut Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/17/12
Well TannerGun I am looking forward to your range report with 105's as I snagged a new SS 700SPS take off barrel on the 6th..

I won't have mine up and running until early summer at the earliest..
Gona be fun though! grin
It shot under an inch with 2 different charges of H4350 at 100 yds... But I'm looking for better!
Tanner,

Are you going to coat the bore with DBC? I coated my 30-378 and it eliminated copper fouling, even when using copper solids like the Barnes TTSX.
Probably not... unless I can get it clean down to bare metal, it won't work. I'll probably just hone on it a bit with Jb's and shoot the beans out of it. If I get a chance to after school, that is.
Getting down to bare metal shouldn't be that hard. It's never been fired, right?

Even if it has been fired a lot, you can use some Hopped #9 to get the powder fouling out, WipeOut to get the copper out, and then a patch wrapped around a brush, smeared in JB Bore paste to get every last bit of fouling out of the barrel. Rinse with Hoppes, and you should be GTG.
Jordan this is the weirdest damn thing I've seen. I'll push a few patches soaked in Butches down it to get the bore wet, and then brush. The next patch after brushing will be FILTHY. I haven't gotten a clean patch after brushing and I've done this process at least 20 times, with 2 different brushes.
Posted By: mathman Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/17/12
That's because unless you have a really smooth barrel, patching isn't going to get everything out. So the brush knocks some fouling loose.

BTW, are you cleaning the brushes between uses?
If the barrel has never been fired, forget the brush. I would guess that you're just seeing colouration on your patches because either Butch's is reacting with the bronze brush, or else the brush is scraping a slight bit of the barrel steel away, which is wiped out with the patch.

mathman also makes a good point. If you're not cleaning the brushes between uses, you're just smearing the same crap back in the barrel for the patch to pick up.

Use Hoppes #9 with half a dozen patches, use the patch wrapped around the brush with JB paste for 30 strokes (use a bore guide!), one or two patches with Hoppes to rinse out the JB paste, then use 10-12 patches with Butch's. Should be down to bare metal at that point.
Posted By: mathman Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/17/12
I'd skip the Hoppe's. Butch's is better at removing everything.
Posted By: Bowman44 Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/17/12
I recommend trying Retumbo with the 105 A-max. I have a couple of 243's that love that combo. Retumbo gives a little more speed than H4350 with a little less pressure. Might be worth a try. T.S.
Bowman, how'd your balloon shooting go? What speeds did you see?

I think that I may just run a bunch of Butches down it, Jb it, clean it out and call it butter!
First round went well and I can definetly see a difference in the 105's over the 87gr V-max, mainly in wind drift. I got 3011fps for five shots in a 24" barrel savage, which I thought was about right. A lot of people don't understand that the 243 will get out to 1000 quite well and with basically no recoil. Good luck with your setup. T.S.
What load did you stop at, and what COAL did you run?
48.8gr in my rifle, .005 back and winchester brass with Federal Match large rifle primers. They do push back a little harder than the 87's, but still not a recoil issue. Hodgdon listed 49gr as max, but my rifle liked 48.8 better. 49grs did not show any pressure signs, but you could definetly here powder crunching when seating bullets. T.S.
Did you actually measure your length or just distance from lands? I'm just interested if you seated em to where the base if the bullet was above the neck/shoulder junction.
I did, but I am at work and don't remember, I will have to get back to you on that one. I would say that the base of the bullet is right at the neck shoulder junction though. T.S.
Right on. For me, that puts my COAL at 2.81. Im gonna pick up a can of Retumbo today.
Posted By: 805 Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/17/12
Tanner Be sure to post some results. Im in the process of loading some 105VLD and retumbo in my 243AI and will try to shoot them this weekend. RL22 has worked well for me also.
I just loaded up some with Retumbo- 3 each at 48, 48.5, and 49 grains. Depending on which shoots best, I'll go in .2 or .3 increments above and under it to see if I can really tighten it up (unless one of em shoots lights out wink ).

I'll letcha know on this thread.
Tanner just a little advise. Retumbo is not 243 powder even with the heavies.
I have a 6mm-284 that has quite a bit more case cap. than a 243 and it is still way too slow of a burn rate.
RL22 is about as slow of a burn rate that is realistic, my favorite in the 243 with 95-105gr bullets is IMR4831.
Right now on this forum many are gacking allover themselves that RL17 will do anything...it is a much better choice than Retumbo.
VVN160,RL19,H4831, hell even JB's TAC that he claim's you will never need to clean for the life of the barrel is a better choice than Retumbo......you've been gettin bad advice
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/19/12
I didn't get recommended Retumbo so much by members as the Hodgdon website. It listed Retumbo as one of the top velocities with one of the lowest pressures. I realize it's normally reserved for big fire breathing magnums- but I think it's worth a try. My initial testing today shot pretty well, about an inch and it was kind of throw down and shoot prone thing. I am going to give the charge a try with magnum primers to see if it tightens up at all.

On a separate note... all the loads that have shot well have shown the old "2 in one hole, 1 about an inch apart" thing. Any ideas as what this could be, other than the nutjob yanking on the trigger.
Seat the bullet deeper.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/19/12
+1 on the dirty factory rifle. I cleaned a couple of my rifles brand new and found iron powder and really black stuff, very gritty. This was from Savage and the worst one was from a Remington.
Posted By: Bowman44 Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/19/12
Sorry for the "bad advice" Tannergun. I love when someone knows before they try something. The load works for me and gives top speed with low pressure. It is an odd powder for the 243, but it works well for what we are doing with it. Hope you find one that shoots lights out, I think we going to shoot this weekend so I will have another report Monday. T.S.
Jordan I read AussieGunWriters thing on bullet seating and tried the seating depth Hodgdon recommends and saw basically the same thing. I'm thinking maybe a free float, or I just need to shoot better wink
Bowman I should've asked you, do you run mag primers under Retumbo? I loaded up some for comparison against LR primers, I'll have to see how it goes.
Posted By: Bowman44 Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/19/12
No I haven't and I am curious to how it will work, let me know. T.S.
I read on the OCW website that a mag primer is needed. May need to ditch Economics to try it out wink
Jordan I read AussieGunWriters thing on bullet seating and tried the seating depth Hodgdon recommends and saw basically the same thing. I'm thinking maybe a free float, or I just need to shoot better wink

Yeah, a free float may just do the trick wink
But... How the heck do you free float a POS ADL stock. I thought about a little bit of card stock shim...
Sand paper, an appropriately-sized deep socket to wrap the paper around, and a little bit of elbow grease...
Sheeeit... Around the lug or forearm?
I'm referring to sanding out the barrel channel. Don't touch the action area unless you plan on bedding it wink
I'll see if mag primers make a diff before I whittle on this piece of plastic wink
I thought you were getting a 243AI barrel?

PS, don't worry about the barrel coming clean. I would get some Wipeout and a Boresnake, and call it good.

Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/20/12
Drew I ended up sending the AI barrel back... wasn't what I was looking for and I ended up just going with a vanilla 243.

I went and shot some milk jugs at 435 to see if they'd stabilize that far. Both the Retumbo and H4350 loads did just fine... I'm done worrying about 100 yard groups. It's not a custom barrel and I'm not a good enough shooter to blame anything on powders, barrels, or bullets.

Now, to chrony whichever I go with, and move on out. My dope from QL got me in the ballpark to shoot out to 435, but I'm gonna want to know what I'm running to air it out I think.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/20/12
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
I have a 6mm-284 that has quite a bit more case cap. than a 243 and it is still way too slow of a burn rate.
RL22 is about as slow of a burn rate that is realistic, my favorite in the 243 with 95-105gr bullets is IMR4831.
Right now on this forum many are gacking allover themselves that RL17 will do anything...it is a much better choice than Retumbo.
VVN160,RL19,H4831, hell even JB's TAC that he claim's you will never need to clean for the life of the barrel is a better choice than Retumbo......you've been gettin bad advice

Retumbo is the powder of choice for the 243 Win in my little world. But then I would hardly be inclined to push the silly lil 243 Win as much of a gun. laugh laugh

Buy an MTM drop tube if you want that 243 Win to run with 105s. wink
Haha, I've been having to pour my charges in reaaalllly slow with Retumbo. Time for drop tube indeed.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/20/12
Haha, I've been having to pour my charges in reaaalllly slow with Retumbo. Time for drop tube indeed.

grin grin
Posted By: Nrut Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/20/12
Swirling technique..
Tilt your funnel just a bit..
Pour the powder directly into the side of the funnel up high..
You should get a swirling of the power like water going down the drain..
If you don't get the swirling then you aren't doing it right..
Some say it works better than a drop tube, but I don't know as I have never used a drop tube..
Posted By: foogle Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/20/12
Since part of this thread was cleaning, anyone used the outers electrolysis system to decopper a barrel?
Posted By: efw Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/20/12
TG-

Thanks for the inspiration here!

I've got a commercial mauser action, beautifully figured Boyd's JRS stock that Karnis has just reshaped for me, and I'm hoping to put an 8- or 9"-twist 24" Douglas tube on it chambered to 6mm Rem. I've got a couple of those Burris FFIIs lying around and am going to send one in for the mods.

Thanks again; I'm excited to hear about your results here!
efw,

the Burris, while sporting some nice glass (at least in my small experience), could definetely beef up their turrets a bit. I haven't used it on the 243 yet cuz I set up the Bushnell on it, but you just have to really pay attention to what you're dialing in because the clicks are a bit mushy. That being said, for my intended purposes and the guy just looking to have some fun, I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great scope.
Posted By: efw Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/20/12
That is ironic, since one of my FFIIs was traded here on the 'fire for that 10x 3200 w/ turrets you're talking up.

Oh well... live and learn smile !

Good luck!
Glass-wise, I definitely think the Burris is a better scope! The turrets just lack a bit.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

Retumbo is the powder of choice for the 243 Win in my little world. But then I would hardly be inclined to push the silly lil 243 Win as much of a gun. laugh laugh

Buy an MTM drop tube if you want that 243 Win to run with 105s. wink

John, that is great you and a few others have got Retumbo to work in a 243, I have tried it in 243 6mmAI and 6-284 and always found a better powder for 95-115gr bullets. Every barrel is different and good luck with it if it works for you....
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/21/12
Alright guys... I got to shoot er at a little longer range today, went out to 530 and let er rip. But... I'm perplexed.

Checked my zero before I backed up, exactly 3 inches at 100, dead center. Backed up, and missed about 4 times. I went back up to my target, and I'd been shooting over it (I expected to be a little off, my velocity input in Shooter was just a ballpark guess.) So, I went back out, dialed my scope back down, and started nailing the gong.

Here is the weird part... I only needed 3.5 MOA of up to hit at 530 yards. WTF. That would mean my MV would be close to 3300 FPS I believe. Granted, I was shooting slightly downhill, but I still dont' think that would make this much of a difference. Shooter was telling me to dial a bunch more ele than I ended up needing.

Here's the info for the load/atmosphere:
105 AMAX- 49 gr Retumbo, CCI 250. COAL of 2.8

7300 feet ASL, 29.73inHg, 39 degrees, 75 percent humidity.

Somebody has gotta have an idea of WTF this is about.
"zero...exactly 3 inches at 100"

Did you account for your zero range when you input your data into Shooter?

That would probably explain the discrepancy...
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/21/12
My zero is entered as 3 inches high in Shooter.
How much elevation was Shooter telling you to dial?

You need to chrony your load wink
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/22/12
Man I know.. I'm gonna try to borrow a clock tomorrow. I think when I get my real velocities it'll shape up... But shooter shows 9+ MOA at 530, when I change the zero height to 0".
Posted By: BobinNH Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/22/12
Tanner I didn't read this whole thread...but is your scope mounted in medium or low rings? Did this factor into the data you entered?

I don't really know if it should or not... confused
Medium, but I don't think it'd make such a massive difference as 3 MOA. and I don't see anywhere in the app to enter sight height, which I thought about as well.

Welcome to LR shooting, I guess smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/22/12
Have to ask the expert turret twisters if it would matter....but I bet it does, and the further away you are, the more it would matter.

Affects height of your line of sight above the center of bore.Could be why the data did not jive for you, first couple of shots. smile
Ahh I checked it and it was right on. I think perhaps my voodoo is a little off smile but I did get a chance to see how difficult calling wind is yesterday. That's how I knew my voodoo was definitely off.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

You need to chrony your load wink

EXACTLY.....it will not only tell you the speed but standard deviation, so you know if it is a good long range load or not
Good day today! Got my Retumbo load clocked. average of 3025 fps, out of my 24 inch tube.

I'm ecstatic about this speed, but I hadn't been really satisfied on how it grouped. I told myself I wasn't gonna worry about shooting at 100 yards anymore, but I decided to check my zero and shoot one last group. I was pleasantly suprised!
[Linked Image]
Not a one holer like you guys shoot, but I'm very happy with it.

So I went to another spot, and set up at about 610 yards. The wind up at 7350 was HOWLING, full value from my left to right. Most of my shots were using inbetween the first and second mil-dot for wind, and almost all of my misses were still right. But, I did sneak in about 5 hits, after the wind stopped kicking my azz. I ended up needing 9 MOA up at 610.

[Linked Image]
Again, not a SubMOA barn burner like some of you guys shoot, but for my first time at 600 and with the winds like that, I'm stoked!

This stuff is FUN!
You're hooked grin
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/23/12
D0000d... this is bad I'm gonna spend all my money on powder and bullets now. Shot every day for the last 5.

I'm seeing 9 MOA at 600+-... despite a mildly fast load and it's a bit (.7) less than Shooter was telling me I needed, but I guess that's just how it goes?

I adjusted the speed/BC on a JBM table to match up with 9 MOA at that range- safe to say that the rest of the card should match up pretty close?
I would try at least 2 different distances to confirm drop data, but more is better. More data always leads to more precise info (assuming it's good data!).

It's like trying to align a straight line in geometry. Pretty hard to get a line perfectly straight if you have only one point to go through. If you have two points of reference, it's much easier to make a straight line that goes through both points. wink
Next investment: Good rangefinder. Thinking 610 was a good distance, but it'll start to get iffy the further back I go. I think maybe I'll be able to use Google Earth also?

Considering talking my pops into going halfsies on a Bushnell Fusion with me.
Yeah, GE or a good GPS would work just fine if you know exactly where you're shooting to and from while you're sitting in front of a computer. Of course, the GE resolution varies with location, so your shooting area would have to appear with good res.

If they are all like the one I got, you won't be disappointed by the Fusion smile What are you using right now?
An old Leupold Rx-somethin. It's pop's bow hunting ranger.
Posted By: 805 Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/23/12
Tanner That is some great speed with retumbo. Glad it worked out for you. Typical height for leupold medium rings and leupold bases is about 1.5" to center of bore so Id check that on your input. Also I highly recommend a scope level for shooting longer range. Its cheap and a great tool.
805, I was suprised with the speed, and I'm very happy. I'm using a pic rail and Burris Signature rings so my sight height is a bit taller.

The last group I shot also suprised me, as it hadn't been shooting lights out. Still not bugholes, but fine for my standards!
Posted By: Kaleb Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/24/12
Congrats on a fine shooting rig and thanks for posting. Sounds like your having fun!
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/24/12
Thanks Kaleb. I'm glad it finally turned itself into a shooter, or rather I turned myself into a little better shooter I guess!
Posted By: efw Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/25/12
Dude you're rockin'! That is awesome!

I'm saving for a set of 10x Fusions right now...

There was a great article in a recent issue of Precision Shooting Mag by a custom rifle builder & LR shooting teacher suggesting people do exactly what you're doing rather than rushing right out and dropping a phat dime on a custom.

By the time you burn this barrel out you'll have graduated college and need to buy yourself a present to celebrate, smile and more importantly you'll have the skill to take full advantage of more range!
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/25/12
Dood by the time this barrel is toasted it'll be March. I've shot like 130 AMAXes already... Too dang fun. I'm stoked with the way it all sorta came together.
Good day today! Got my Retumbo load clocked. average of 3025 fps, out of my 24 inch tube.

I'm ecstatic about this speed, but I hadn't been really satisfied on how it grouped. I told myself I wasn't gonna worry about shooting at 100 yards anymore, but I decided to check my zero and shoot one last group. I was pleasantly suprised!
[Linked Image]
Not a one holer like you guys shoot, but I'm very happy with it.

Tanner,

You don't see that many one hole groups do you? That's a great group. All of the rounds are "in" the group; it's not two touching with a flier. You could draw a circle around the group and all of the holes would be close to the same distance from the exterior of the circle. A nice round group.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/25/12
I've personally never shot a 1 hole group, so yeah I'm perfectly content with nice tight little triangles smile most of my rifles seem to keep that shape.
I'm sorry Tanner, that wasn't aimed at you. I mean you don't see that many one hole groups posted...period. I don't shoot one hole groups either. That nice round shape means your doing your part and there's nothing inherently wrong with your bedding, crown, etc...
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/26/12
No no I know what you meant. Totally with ya.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/28/12
Got out really quickly after school today. Just ran and hung up some gongs, threw the 243 in the bed of the truck and spent a few. Not great by any means, but it was fun.

Shot some at 430 to get the correct dope for that yardage. Here's the 2, moved out after these
[Linked Image]

Shot some at 500, then it started to get dark. One dropped way low, but I'm almost positive it was just me.

[Linked Image]

And here's a little video with the impact in the background.

Posted By: 805 Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/28/12
Tanner great shooting man! Liked the video also. It sure is fun huh! Keep at it.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/28/12
I'm about to switch the video here in a sec, better squeeze in the one I'll post. Thanks man, it really is a blast.
Posted By: efw Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/29/12
Yeah man great shooting here... I'm thoroughly jealous of your ability to just walk out and blast! That is cool as heck!
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/30/12
Thinking that my scope is f'd up. It's just not tracking the way it should... kinda bumming.
We'll get it worked out. We need to find a new place if they do shut the gate.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 01/30/12
Yeah I dunno, may send it off to Bushy and see what they say.

I won't be too bummed if they shut 'er down, I just wanna get my gongs first haha!

Lemme know if you sell that Conquest!
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 03/01/12
Why hells bells...hittin something a mile off ain't a problem at all! Here's one of my buddies doing it...WITH A SHARPS up in Wyoming! Regular thing it is!

[Linked Image]
KWShpmile by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

And here's his mentor:

[Linked Image]
Mentorman by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 03/04/12
After some major dissapointment at 200 yards with the Amax load (improved choke patterns), I switched to the 87 Vmax. Haven't stretched 'er out yet, but I'm thinking this bullet will be skookum.

44gr Hunter
COAL 2.710
CCI-200 caps
87 VMAX
3115 fps average

[Linked Image]

Looks good! I just picked up two more boxes of 95gr btips. Couldnt believe it when I just looked up the B.C.s between the Btip and 87gr Vmax. .379 vs .400. I was surprised.
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 03/05/12
Them VMAXes are a slick one! laugh wish Noz would cut a deeper boat tail and boost their BCs.
Posted By: clos Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 03/24/12
here are my 87vmax loads .015 off the lands. the white paper was behind the target bulls. shows up just a bit better. these were shot round robin style. (OCW method)
Point of aim was the first row of 5 bulls.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tanner Re: First "Long Range" Setup - 03/24/12
Looks like your sweet spot is 44 grains, I've seen that before laugh
© 24hourcampfire