Home
Just wanted to see what y'all would say. Mine was probably 300-315.
Longest perfect shot made, or longest shot you would take under perfect conditions?
But let me guess--you live east of the Mississippi?
longest perfect shot made, and no, east of the Pecos.
Just last year (a few months ago) shot this little mulie in the Deschutes canyons at a lasered 600 yards with my 300 wizzum using a 165 hornady spbt interlock over some H4350. One shot where I wanted it and bang flop. I mean bang, back flip off the side of the hill, rolled 70 yards (hoping the damn thing would stop before reaching the bottom of the canyon) eek. Watched the whole time through the scope and when he finally stopped, not even a twitch.....:

Just about as perfect as one can get except I didn't have anyone to pack the damn thing out for me grin (good thing it was a dink!!):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The rifle shoots like this almost "all day long"......:
[Linked Image]
10 shot group....
Whoah....nice
575, with lots between 300 and 400.

But then there is both opportunity to develop the skill of LR shooting around here, as well as the need of it.

[Linked Image]

My son is standing down in the middle of the photo over a dead antelope, as I take the picture from whence he shot.
thats a good little ways there
Originally Posted by utah708
575, with lots between 300 and 400.

But then there is both opportunity to develop the skill of LR shooting around here, as well as the need of it.

[Linked Image]

My son is standing down in the middle of the photo over a dead antelope, as I take the picture from whence he shot.

Ahh...Reminds me of Nevada where I learned all about taking long pokes at critters...Jack rabbits volunteered for that job quite often... grin
looks like wyoming to me. lots of short sage with no trees out there.
Longest perfect shot...what's yours?

.223 - 527 yards rock chuck - in the rump out the chest
.220 Extremist - 467 yards - center punch chest
short fat 7mm - 400 elk - top of the heart destroyed arteries
A companions wounded mule deer buck back in the pre LRF days;and by the time I spotted him I had to take what I got,which was him quartering steeply away,and from the image through the 4X scope I figured him at about 500 yards.

I held for that, hit where I wanted to..

We got him. smile

Another pronghorn at about 400 yards;and a pair of bull elk at about 450-475 or so.

That's as far as it goes for me.
This was a pretty good day. Better to be lucky than good but the best is finding a very unlucky coyote. He must have done something really bad. laugh

John he was an unrepetent sinner and got his just reward....... grin

Nicely done! I can't even see them that far away!
Bob

He even had mange. Karma is a bitch. grin
[Linked Image]
493yd called/lasered head shot on a doe. In just behind the nose, out between the ears. Factory Win 70 270 Fwt barreled action bedded into a "Winlight" McMillan Fwt pattern. I shot her prone using a set of crossed rattling antlers as my front rest.
My most satisfying (not on game) long range shot was made back in 1977 when my then new 7 mag was the only mag in camp and my buddies had been riding me about it.

We were in western Colorado and my buddy said can you hit the top of that dirt pedestal? I said sure, laid across the hood and held near the bottom of cross hair (guessing) and fired. About a full second later a puff of dust kicked up on top of the pedestal and I put the rifle down and continued packing to go home, as if it were intentional rather than lucky.
This is probably my best/luckiest shot on flesh and hide. The shot was 942 yards, and the poor yote didn't know what the heck was going on. One minute he was pouncing for mice, the next he was floating on the clouds. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
1031 yards on this Roosevelt Elk

[Linked Image]
Wow...to everybody, especially the 942 and 1017 yd. coyotes
Not so impressive compared to the others. A caribou at 802. My 4H shooter called the shot as thinking it was a hair low? So next shot I corrected by kentucky elevation and held to hit the spine, which it did. First shot was a hair low... bottom 1/3 of the chest cavity just a bit behind the heart.. either would kill easily of course. 338 Win Mag and 225 Barnes X bullets.

I was close to an exotic sheep around 970 or so IIRC but the wind was more than I wanted to deal with so I took a sighter shot on a cantaloupe sized rock about 150 or 200 yards off to the side, and amazingly enough had doped the wind perfectly.... scraped bottom of that rock. But the sheep took off for some reason and never quit walking until out of sight.
For me, 504 yds on a whitetail, last day of the season 2 yrs ago. I was shooting a my 300 Win Mag with 180gr accubonds. 500 is considered "long" here on the coast of Va.

good shootin all!
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
This was a pretty good day. Better to be lucky than good but the best is finding a very unlucky coyote. He must have done something really bad. laugh

John,
That video never gets old!
~500 yards on a previousely wounded Mule Deer(not by me) while it was walking. Heart shot. (Lucky.) ~350 yard neck shot on previousley wounded Mule Deer that was trotting. (Me) (Very Lucky.)

The first was with a 30-06/165g combo and the second with a 300 H&H/180g combo.
Blacktail 892 yards

[Linked Image]

Geezus I can't hang with you guys and am gonna tuck my tail like a whipped mongrel and crawl into a corner! eek

Nice shooting people! grin
I don't believe that for a second, Bob! All you gotta do is rig up one of your several accurate rifles with a decent LR turret (like an M1 on that 3.5-10 you were talking about), or just start twisting the turrets on that Summit or yours, and start playing around at distances that push your abilities! Pretty soon it'll be just another day shooting steel at 1000 yards. Then when an animal appears at 800 it will be second nature smile

Or course, that is assuming you have access to somewhere you can practice at those extended ranges...
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
~500 yards on a previousely wounded Mule Deer(not by me) while it was walking. Heart shot. (Lucky.) ~350 yard neck shot on previousley wounded Mule Deer that was trotting. (Me) (Very Lucky.)

The first was with a 30-06/165g combo and the second with a 300 H&H/180g combo.

I hear ya on that! I know this thread is about longest shots, but I feel like some of my best/luckiest shots were on animals that were on the move, even though the range was 1/3 or less that of some of my longer shots...
465 yards on a KS mulie. Fell to the 'ole GAP .243, single shot through the heart with a 115gr DTAC. Off of sticks to boot!
IMHO moving is only fair game if wounded.

But its nice to be able to practice moving.

We used to be able to shoot a match that was moving silhouettes at 300 and 600 yards... man did that teach you a few things.. one you need to figure out the lead. two, once you had a good idea of what lead was required, it really was not as difficult as it seemed it might be.

But I won't shoot an unwounded animal thats moving, even at a walk at anything over 100-200 yards depending...

Originally Posted by rost495
IMHO moving is only fair game if wounded.

But its nice to be able to practice moving.

We used to be able to shoot a match that was moving silhouettes at 300 and 600 yards... man did that teach you a few things.. one you need to figure out the lead. two, once you had a good idea of what lead was required, it really was not as difficult as it seemed it might be.

But I won't shoot an unwounded animal thats moving, even at a walk at anything over 100-200 yards depending...

All bets are off for vermin like coyotes, IMO wink
starting to feel a bit embarrased
No reason for that! Increasing ones effective range is a personal progress type of thing. There are plenty of guys who can shoot farther than me, and plenty who can't. That doesn't make much of a difference to me. It's an ongoing process, and you should be happy that you're out there developing and increasing your abilities, regardless of where you are along the journey smile

668 yards.

[Linked Image]
@ Jordan, i know what you mean, i was just joking mostly. Thanks for the positive reinforcement though.

@ Salmonella, that looks like a really big bodied deer. How much did he weigh?

Do they hurt less when wounded than other animals? Where's all this respect demanding a quick kill I've read about?
437yds. laser ranged after the kill.
Grass airplane runway in Delaware County, NY.
.284Win., Browning Micro Medallion, 20 inch barrel.
139g Sierra Pro Hunter, 50g IMR 4350, maybe 51. I don't remember.
It was in 1995 and I think that the little Micro Medallion was wearing a .... um....cough....well it was a .....well it was a 3-9X40 Simmons.
I don't hunt at long range even though I've learned from long range hunters. Here is a 550 yard shot with my 30-30, and it is "perfect!"

Originally Posted by Win_94
I don't hunt at long range even though I've learned from long range hunters. Here is a 550 yard shot with my 30-30, and it is "perfect!"

Nice shootin 30-30 there. What scope you running on it?
Originally Posted by Rug3
437yds. laser ranged after the kill.
Grass airplane runway in Delaware County, NY.
.284Win., Browning Micro Medallion, 20 inch barrel.
139g Sierra Pro Hunter, 50g IMR 4350, maybe 51. I don't remember.
It was in 1995 and I think that the little Micro Medallion was wearing a .... um....cough....well it was a .....well it was a 3-9X40 Simmons.

haha, a Simmmons huh, well at least we know you can hit with it.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice shootin 30-30 there. What scope you running on it?

Thanks!

I was using a Bushnell 3200 fixed 10X but it died about 10 shots after that. I replaced it with another exactly the same, but it died in less than 200 shots.

I now use a Williams FP peep on it.

Thanks again!
Originally Posted by Ringman

Do they hurt less when wounded than other animals? Where's all this respect demanding a quick kill I've read about?

Dunno. I've never wounded one on the run. I'm a pretty darn good running game shot wink grin

Some animals have my respect. Others, like prairie dogs and mice, are vermin that need to be killed by whatever means possible. Coyotes are quickly joining that group around here.
a little more info on my longest perfect shot

like i said about 300-315 yds.
Winchester Model 70 .270 with a Browning BOSS
using the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips
in the way of optics i had Burris Fullfield II 6.5 x 20 on my baby as i call her
my rest was a pair of very short shooting sticks
All three of my longest shots were with a Tasco 6-24X or 4-16X.
I would assume the word perfect would make it a bit more precise than just a hit at that range, but a hit is still impressive at extreme distances if legs and other body parts aren't blown off.

3 perfect shots...

Elk 500 yards, shot through the shoulder;

Sako Deluxe 300 Weatherby with Nosler 180 grain Balistic Tip bullet, Swarovski Z-6 3-18X50 scope with BR reticle...

[Linked Image]

Antelope 650 yards, shot through the heart;

Sako Deluxe in 300 Weatherby with 195 grain Hornady Spire point bullet, Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50 Scope with Varmint reticle...

[Linked Image]

Mule deer 800 yards, shot through the lungs;

Weatherby 30-378 with 200 grain Accubond bullet, Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50 Scope with Varmint reticle...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I would assume the word perfect would make it a bit more precise than just a hit at that range, but a hit is still impressive at extreme distances if legs and other body parts aren't blown off.

3 perfect shots...

Sako Deluxe 300 Weatherby with Nosler 180 grain Balistic Tip bullet, Swarovski Z-6 3-18X50 scope with BR reticle...

[Linked Image]

Sako Deluxe in 300 Weatherby with 195 grain Hornady Spire point bullet, Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50 Scope with Varmint reticle...

[Linked Image]

Weatherby 30-378 with 200 grain Accubond bullet, Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50 Scope with Varmint reticle...

[Linked Image]

+1 I like that shrappy....Especially the part about "legs and other body parts arn't blown off". Funny chit right there, but true. grin
Originally Posted by DeerHunter4ever

Alright I've got you beat. My longest I'm kinda embarrassed to say is 278 yards... blush
My longest shot was a joint venture with my nephew that took countless hours and countless dollars over a few year period.
It was 2144 yards on a unsuspecting Rockchuck.

[Linked Image]
Holy Crap. You're not screwing around, are you?! You even busted out the bazooka! grin
Originally Posted by shrapnel

3 perfect shots...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

those are some fine rifles/scopes you've got there.
Originally Posted by boatanchor
My longest shot was a joint venture with my nephew that took countless hours and countless dollars over a few year period.

Very nice, confirm a wild rangefinder? Have not seen one of those in quite a while.

My best is 575yards on a wounded blacktail that someone else had hit quite a bit earlier. Saw a bachelor herd of bucks on a far ridge and saw the buck limping real bad, left hip was broken. Rem M7 in .308 over a backpack and he went down cleanly.
Originally Posted by LBP

Alright I've got you beat. My longest I'm kinda embarrassed to say is 278 yards... blush

haha, don't be embarrassed about that one. I've gut shot a few much closer than that. and, hey, we might have been hunting in the same region.
With my AR I was able to go out to 440 yards
here is one of mine . also got a black bear at 1100 , mulie at 720 , and a bunch of whitetails between 300 and 900
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4610380/3
Originally Posted by LBP

Yeah but knowing how you are I'm assuming you were using the .223 rem grin
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

Very nice, confirm a wild rangefinder? Have not seen one of those in quite a while.

What Jordan Smith call's a bazooka is a Wild rangefinder, capable of ranging farther than any laser rangefinder, I bought it about 10 years ago and have not seen another one for sale since, one of my friends picked up a Barr & Stroud about 3 years ago but they are impossible to find now too.
Great rangefinder but not nearly as portable as a laser.
Today I just remembered my best handgun shot. Back in the 1990's I used to go rabbit hunting a lot. The only firearm I used was my Freedom Arms .454. Any jack rabbit within about 110-115 yards was dead meat. Like the snipers say, "One shot one kill."

One time I saw one sitting up clear on the otherside of a "bowl" near Christmas VAlley, Oregon. I put the crosshair about a full rabbit above the center of the jack. The 300 grain XTP center punched its chest. I stepped it off at 206 long steps.

John Lachuck once told me I was the best shot he ever hunted with. Sometime we get lucky.

[Linked Image]

How much slope in that scope base?
540yds with an Ed Brown .270 winchester, factory ammo. I would not have tried ordinarily, but a friend wounded a speed goat...................
October 10 1995 8:10 AM. Just got back to the USA from Europe. Lived there 10 years while in the military.

Shot him at Battle mountain, Wyoming. 5 miles from the truck! Heck, what did I know right?
When I shot him he was three draws away 778 yards. 378 WBY with 270 Hornady SP at 3185 fps. Load was 118 gr of Norma MRP (same as factory loads BTW) One shot and down. Still have the bullet 88% weight retention.

What a humping job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never want to do it again!
that morning daybreak

[Linked Image]

My elk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that Jimmy's rifle or did he help you build it? I remember when you guys would go up to the Uintas for really LR 'chucks.

Alan
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

What Jordan Smith call's a bazooka is a Wild rangefinder

What a let down...

grin
Originally Posted by LBP

Yeah but knowing how you are I'm assuming you were using the .223 rem grin

Speaking of 223... my longest 223 kill with iron sights on a whitetail doe... 556 ranged yards with an AR15, and 3 other witnesses... but then thats all I shot at that time, often on a daily basis with irons out to 1000 yards at times...
Originally Posted by horse1

How much slope in that scope base?

I had BAT make me 2 bases for this rifle a 50 MOA and a 70 MOA, cant remember which one was on at the time. either way you have a hard time shooting under 1000 yards grin
Originally Posted by GSSP

[Linked Image]

Is that Jimmy's rifle or did he help you build it? I remember when you guys would go up to the Uintas for really LR 'chucks.

Alan

Jimmy is the nephew I mentioned, we gathered up all the part's and I had Bill Shehane put it together the first time. We had Kirby Allen work on it once and he kinda screwed it up, Joe Olas right there in Springville did the last chamber job on it. It really is in need of a new tube right now but a 36" 1.450" barrel is out of the budget for the time being because I am building a new bench rest gun to use at that range just up from your house in Hobble Creek canyon.
My question is;

What's the definition of the term, "perfect shot"?

We each get to define it. smile
At a big game animal, 343 yards quartering, i was sitting and using a Latigo sling.

The luckiest was a yote kill at 603 yds over bags. It took 3 shots, he'd move a little after I missed, but finally lobbed one in one him with the help of my bro law.
Originally Posted by Maverick940
My question is;

quick killing shot into what would normally be accepted as a location of the vitals.

IE not a wound or a gut shot.

And as far as that goes a couple of non vital wounds that I own over the years, have all come at UNDER 100 yards. I"ve yet to make a non vital hit at long range.
my best shot to date was a 458 yard shot on a whitetail doe with a factory savage 111 pre acutrigger chambered in .30-06 shooting 150 grain nosler ballistic tip bullets powered by 52.9 grains of IMR4064. I shot to the heart and she dropped in her tracks.
Gosh, I've had a few really long shots in my career. I have no idea what the exact yardage was, because I don't carry a range-finder. And, it's hard to say which one of those long shots was the best or so-called "perfect" one. I guess for me the definition of the "perfect" shot would be one that's done on an unsuspecting animal at extremely close range.
Prairie dog at 1320 yds, Fox at 1108 yds, and a bunch of deer and antelope between 3-900 yds...
Brian,

WOW, I screwed the rifle up, that is an interesting comment and one I would have never expected to hear coming from you having done so much work for Jimmy and Roland and you with nothing but good results from what I was reported back on.

Jimmy contacted me about rechambering the rifle in the picture you posted, He said that the rifle was not shooting well at all but that it was likely because it had been excessively heated up on several shooting sessions trying to make kills on rockchucks at long range.

I told him to send the rifle up and I would take a look and see what I could do. I wanted the entire rifle as I ALWAYS accuracy test every rifle I work on but Jimmy insisted he only wanted to send the barreled receiver to save shipping cost. Told him that was his choice. But that if I did the work and it made no difference I would not have charged for the work but I had to have the entire rifle to do this, he did not want to pay to ship the entire rifle, again, his choice.

Got the rifle and scoped the bore, there was extreme heat cracking for at least 8" ahead of the throat with significant erosion which likely was the reason for the poor accuracy. I talked to Jimmy and told him exactly what I had found and that I could rechamber the barrel but that while it may improve its performance some it would be for a very limited time with the condition of the barrel and that a new barrel was the very best way to go. He said he wanted to try to rechamber the barrel and see if he could get a bit more life out of it so we rolled on it.

If I remember correctly (this was many years ago), I cut the threaded shank off the barrel and refitted the barrel and recut the chamber. To do this correctly and precisely, I had to order in a set of 5 custom reamer live pilot bushings larger then the very largest bushing I had for the 338 in the shop. This was because my largest bushing which measures 0.3316" in diameter was a sloppy fit in the bore, this tells you how much erosion there had been in the chamber. I ordered 5 more bushings each 0.0002" larger then next which allowed me to perfectly fit the pilot bushing to the oversized bore diameter to ensure a precision chambering job. I did not charge Jimmy for this added cost of $130 on my dime.

The barrel was rechambered with headspace set on the fired case that was supplied by Jimmy. The barreled action was assembled and returned.

About a month later I get an e-mail from Jimmy saying that I had cut the new chamber 0.025" short and that he had to take it to another smith to get the headspace set correctly. I found this very curious as I used the case he provided to set up the headspace specs. But, I am not saying I am perfect either. In fact just to make things right I took him as his word and paid for all the cost for the other smith to deepen the chamber. I have always wondered how this could have happened as never before or since then have I ever made this type of mistake, again, no one is perfect and I considered both of you my personal friend so I covered the bill on my dime.

Jimmy did state that the barrel refitting and chambering was dead on perfect which is what the other smith told him, other then Jimmy claiming that I had cut the chamber 25 thou short.

That was about the last I ever heard from either of you in spite of trying to contact Jimmy many times to find out how the rifle shot.

So I have a very hard time reading what you posted and swallowing it. The rifle was shooting very poorly before it was sent to me because the barrel had been severely overheated many times. It was sent to me to try to get some more life out of the barrel. I told Jimmy exactly what I thought and that was that the barrel was pretty much used up and that a new barrel was the only way to correct this problem, HE decided to push on, HE did not send the entire rifle so I could function and accuracy test, HE and the smith, out of their own mouths said the refitting and rechambering was dead on perfect but apparently the rifle still did not shoot.......

In this business you can not let comments like the one you made in public go without some clarification. There are to many good builders out there to choose from so you have to take these comments head on to clarify exactly what the problem was. With all the rifle projects I have done with Jimmy, you and Roland, which is around a dozen rifles and never once hearing anything but great things about the work, this comment you posted really suprises me. I guess it clears up the end of communication between us inspite of me trying to contact Jimmy repeatedly to see how the rifle was performing which I suspected and predicted to Jimmy that it would not be a huge turn around in precision performance because of the roasted barrel. If he had not been a friend, I would have told him he was out of luck because he did not send the rifle back to me and allow me to correct the "Mistake" which is my standard proceedure as it is with any builder. I do not know of any builder that would have let another smith fix a "MISTAKE" without being able to confirm it personally and solve the problem and still pay for the work to be done by another smith. I beleive I went WAY over what was needed to make Jimmy happy. As I said, I could have easily told him to bad, you did not let me fix the alleged problem but I did not, yet I still get bashed on a public forum by you.

Nuff said, just wanted to clear the air and post some history of the situtation.

To get back to the topic at hand,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This kill occured on the very first outing with the rifle. I had only zeroed it at 500 yards and had just wanted to see what it would do. It took 5 shots to kill the chuck at 2370 yards.

[Linked Image]

Made this kill on the third outing after making the 2370 yard kill. Took 4 shots. On the second outing, Black Sunshine made a 1095 yard two shot kill.

[Linked Image]

This was the one shot kill that started my Grand Slam adventure several years earlier. To be fair, the rifle was made by Dennis Olson of Plains, MT. A great rifle. At this time I was just starting to get into precision firearm manufacturing so I decided to stop until I could try for the grand slam with my own rifles. As it turned out, it took only three more outings all in the summer of 2006. I qualified for the Grand Slam with a 1055 yard(500 yard qualifier), 1095 yards(1000 yard qualifier, 2100 yards (1500 yard qualifier) and 2370 yards (2000 yard qualifier) for an average kill range of 1655 yards.

[Linked Image]

This shot was made on a bet, one shot, cold bore at 2460 yards. That said, I missed it on the second shot!!!

[Linked Image]

This is my longest big game kill to day. The longest I have attempted at big game to be honest. This was also with my 338 Allen Magnum with a 265 gr Aluminum tipped RBBT loaded to just shy of 3600 fps.

Fiftydriver
Nice shooting! You didn't mention how far away that pronghorn was... wink
Sorry, pronghorn was at 1307 yards, one shot kill.

Nice shots and nice post Kirby.

Jeff
+1 on that.
Kirby, Not trying to diss you but was just stating the history of the rifle. Short chambering .025" is kinda screwing things up but on the other hand the gunsmith I had fix the chambering job on this rifle he long chambered a 22-250AI for me about a year later.
I think both of you are top shelf gunsmith's it is just that schitt just seems to happen at times with wildcat calibers, I could not be more happy with the Sako AV short mag you did for me. I dont have a problem with you and hope you dont have a problem with me.
Brian
Man that speedgoat looks mangled! Some pretty insane ballistics there.
he was bedded down with his back to me, quartering away from our position. The 265 gr AT RBBT entered at the point of his left hip and came out just behind the right shoulder. It looks much worse then it really was, By the time we got out to the buck he had bled out pretty well soaking into his hide making it look much worse then it really was.

When the bullet landed it looked like I hit a feather pillow!!!

It was pretty dramatic to say the least.

Fiftydriver
Those aluminum tips have gotta just rip through stuff. I was checking out some dummy rounds at Dan Dowlings shop that I think he had just for fun, thinking they were 750AMAXes or something like that, and those tips just look mean. Very cool.
Kirby, I sent you an Email.
GG,
E-mail replied, this is how it should have been delt with many years ago.

I have said all I need to say on the subject, back to the topic at hand.

Kirby Allen
Last years 5x5 buck. 50-60 yards. Bear, 48 yards. Gotta have some serious equipment to run with me boys! Watch and learn, watch and learn... grin grin grin
Next year I'll be poppin' at real long range, going for a 90 yarder.
Mule deer 100 yards running broad side one shot base of ear.
Elk in the forehead. Only at 100 though.
Originally Posted by snowwalker

Twice I've shot elk in the eye......only once was it intentional though..... whistle

Casey
Shot a caribou at 786 yds. Quartering away, went in about the last rib and came out the left neck. Also shot a wounded bull elk, that was headed across a flat fixing to get on the neighbors at 792 yds. He stopped broadside , hit about 5 inches behind where I was aiming, didnt copensate for the wind enough, but it did the job.

Toby Joe
Originally Posted by snowwalker

Head shots not quite so far.. only 556( or 565 I just don't honestly remember what the rangefinder said anymore. )

Heads are small enough that I start wanting a bit larger target once you get out there further.
350 on a coyote walking left but with a serious left to right wind (Aprox 15-20 mph with even greater gust).
I held high and to the right above his rear hip/ tail.
Rifle used old 788 Rem in 22-250 and factory V-max's.
............Dead Coyote
....SmokeRolls

Just last year (a few months ago) shot this little mulie in the Deschutes canyons at a lasered 600 yards with my 300 wizzum using a 165 hornady spbt interlock over some H4350. One shot where I wanted it and bang flop. I mean bang, back flip off the side of the hill, rolled 70 yards (hoping the damn thing would stop before reaching the bottom of the canyon) eek. Watched the whole time through the scope and when he finally stopped, not even a twitch.....:

Just about as perfect as one can get except I didn't have anyone to pack the damn thing out for me grin (good thing it was a dink!!):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The rifle shoots like this almost "all day long"......:
[Linked Image]
10 shot group....

Thats nice shooting BSA
I love the 300 WSM too. I havnt bumped mine past 64.5 grain of H-4350, it shoots so well I havent seen the need to make it hotter.
.......SmokeRolls
I killed a 6 yr old whitetail doe at 65 yards.

with a rifle? bout 250yds. and that is long for Mississippi.
My "best" is 378 yards offhand on a running coyote with the .22-250. I've drilled multiple mulies with the .243 between 375 and 450 and got my antelope at 573 with the .270WSM. I've tried much longer shots on coyotes and missed but have always been able to get closer than 500 to deer and elk without them spooking.

John - what caliber was that on the 1017 yard shot?

Recently it was the "250-yd. 22 Long Rifle Coke Can Challenge" over at Sniper's Hide. Couldn't wait to accomplish it with my custom Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel/3-9x PFI Rapid Reticle scope.

Calcd. the dope to that range, something like 7 MOA beyond the reticle's 21 MOA lower stadia line. Had about 5 mph switching 6:00 winds. 1st shot was about 3/4 MOA high, and after dialing down, nailed it on the 2nd shot. The reward of that shot has lasted to this day--

[Linked Image]

Teaching kids and women about LR shooting has become more fun with these little 22's too (probably 'cause it's cheaper to shoot)--

[Linked Image]
Hit 1 of these PD's too 3x in a row at 180 yds. by timing my shots watching the mirage--that was pretty rewarding too--

[Linked Image]

The most rewarding shots for me though are usually successful shots i've made by manipulating reticle subtension for rangefinding and/or downrange zeroing.

This little 4-16x MD Centerpoint on top of the little Chipmunk Hunter is excellent for just that application out to as far as 300 yds.--

[Linked Image]

300-yd. 4th or 5th shot connection with a MR Picuda/3-9x 22 LR Rapid Reticle, of course-(another fun one)--

[Linked Image]
Had a client back in the late 80's who bounced an arrow of an unseen limb and then skidded it across the ground and it happened to hit a 341 P&Y six-by-six bull elk between the dew-claw and hoof. That was the only blood drawn. We recovered the bull the next day. If I hadn't gone over to check for blood, we would've walked away from the trophy of a lifetime.
[Linked Image]

Is that a 10/22?
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
My "best" is 378 yards offhand on a running coyote with the .22-250. I've drilled multiple mulies with the .243 between 375 and 450 and got my antelope at 573 with the .270WSM. I've tried much longer shots on coyotes and missed but have always been able to get closer than 500 to deer and elk without them spooking.

John - what caliber was that on the 1017 yard shot?

That was the 243 Win with a 105 VLD.
My longest 254 yds don't get to shoot much farther round here
Originally Posted by UKdave
[Linked Image]

Is that a 10/22?

No sir, but close. It's a Magnum Research Picuda, unfortunately no longer made. Had this one out prairie dogging today. Oh and BTW--the fiber bottle wasn't mine. I found it...really!
good shooting everyone!!
22 LR..Tennis Balls At 210Yd's, 5x5 With a 64 anschutz,6.5-20 Leupold, And Wolf Match Target..
Coues whitetail at 453 yds. off sticks with my lowly 308
[Linked Image]
Six deer, one shot, 11,440 yards!
One 16" antelope@1076 yards with a 270weatherby and two 6x6bulls two consecutive years @632 and 633 yards with 338-378 weatherby with250 tsx bullets. Last year shot over a 10 pt white tail@115 yards. With a custom 284 win . Still haven't heard the end of it!!!!!! Remember to ZERO out every time!!!!My famous last words!!!
I guess my longest perfect shot occurred in Montana, in Oct of 1994. I was hunting Mule Deer in the Fort Peck area out side of Jordan, MT. A little under 500 yards a 130 gr Speer SP loaded in a 270 Winchester. The rifle was a M-70 Super Grade and it had a 3.5 to 10 Leupold scope. No turrets or any of that other high tech stuff, Scope set on 6 x , drilled that deer right thru the heart. The guy that was with me though I hit it in the hams. Because his back end dropped then he got up walked in a little semi circle and fell over. These days, with my current hunting a 120 long steps would be a long shot. I would like to go back there one day and do another hunt but with a 30-30 winchester and see how close I can really get.
Longest shot was on a muley doe at 946 yards, 10 mph full force wind. This was with a .338 Edge and 300 grain SMKs.
Personal longest was 389 on a Muley doe. Rem 700 7mm RM 140TTSX. Father in law used the same (my) rifle on a 150" WT at 418 this past fall after missing twice with his .300 Win.I told him which dot to use, bang...flop.

I feel confident with that gun/load to 500. It shoots accurate enough for farther out but I don't have the optics to support it. I'm ok with 500 yards.
Mine was five groundhogs at ranges from 500 to 550 yards,6 shots fired,5 dead in less than 15 minutes,gun was only moved a total of 6 inches from left to right scanning the far hillside.The rifle was a lazer...22-250 AI on a Rem 40X,Hart barrel
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

What range was that on?

What range was that on?

Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas
Cool

What range was that on?

Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas

Did you confirm the kill?

On a targets I guess I could have said 3 round burst, MK19 1300 Meter hull target. Not much cooler than watching grenades in flight (until they land) as long as they are going downrange!
Headshot a Colorado PD@ 530 yards w sscoyote's .223AI AR in Aug. '09 in front of my brother, his little boy Nate and my younger son Connor. Pure luck and holding where sscoyote said.

Look on my brother's face was priceless.

thats awesome, haha
Antelope at 590 yds with a 220 Swift heavy barreled Ruger 77. That was prone on a bipod. Best shot was a Zebra at 500+yds off my PH's shoulder with a 375 H&H shooting 300 gr Swift A Frame. Hit him 2 out of 3, so it was not all luck!
Antelope at 590 yds with a 220 Swift heavy barreled Ruger 77. That was prone on a bipod. Best shot was a Zebra at 500+yds off my PH's shoulder with a 375 H&H shooting 300 gr Swift A Frame. Hit him 2 out of 3, so it was not all luck!
Killed 2 wolves with 4 shots @ 560 yds
Kobuk river, Alaska
7STW
During a meat hunt when there was a Mulchatna herd I lined up 2 caribou and let fly,they both dropped at the shot and another 1 about 75 yds behind them went down as well,he or she needed a finisher though. This was with a 243 using Hornady spire points.
Originally Posted by TakeEm

What range was that on?

Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas

Did you confirm the kill?

On a targets I guess I could have said 3 round burst, MK19 1300 Meter hull target. Not much cooler than watching grenades in flight (until they land) as long as they are going downrange!

"Ft Chaffe my ass" is the definition of suck.......
My best was with a wrist rocket, caliber: D cell battery, Minute of street light, from 50 yards. Hit dead center. (When I was a reckless teenager)
PERFECT shot? 525 coues deer, 675 coyote, 475, jack rabbit
appx 75 yds dead center in a crows chest sitting in top of a tall oak tree off hand with a 22 long rifle.open sights, he just folded his wings and dropped like a rock. I was totally shocked.
© 24hourcampfire