Home
I'm in the looking stage right now, and enjoying the research of looking for a new rifle. I've been looking at the Tikka T3 Sporter, and today I came across this Remington package from Sniper Central. For about $2K, you are in the game. From what I've been able to find out, this is a pretty good deal. Does anyone have any feedback on this?[Linked Image]

http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=2

Tikka for about $1700 naked:

[Linked Image]
I'd have one screwed together and thrown into a chunk.
Holy abortion by Tikka. I like Steelys idear.
I know a smith that'll build you one from scratch for not much more money....

[Linked Image]
700 action....300-350
Barrel.......300+-
Chamber..250
Action work..250
Stock....555 shipped

Like Scott I can't see payin that much for factory. I'd rather pick my own parts and get twist chamber length etc..... That I pick.
Thanks. My original post was somewhat misleading. Sniper Central's base Remington package is only $1225. I upgraded a bunch of crap that brought it up to 2k.

http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

$280 Action shipped & FFL transfer, from Northland Shooters Supply
$268 Barrel shipped, from Savage-Barrels.com, McGowan Heavy Varmint taper 11 degree crown
$40.00 Bolt Handle from Stockade Gunstocks
$32.50 SS Recoil Lug from Stockade Gunstocks
$7.50 Bolt Lift Kit from Stockade Gunstocks
$100 Competition Trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply
$380 HS Stock & bottom metal shipped found used on Savage Shooters Forum
$299 Scope found only @ Midway USA, Weaver Tactical GS 3-10X40
$50 Rings from Midway USA, Leupold QRW Med rings
$40 20 MOA Base from Evolution Gun Works
$145 Gunsmithing�

Total cost so far�$1642

I spread the build out over a couple of years so it wasn't a huge expense all at once.�The gunsmithing was because of two issues. $100 was for the bedding job. I could have done this myself but dropped it off at the gunsmith because I was training for a new job. What little time off I had I spent it with my family instead of tinkering with my rifle.

The other was because the barrel needed the threads re-cut deeper to thread into the action.�I could have mailed the barrel back for this but decided the $45 charged by my gunsmith while I waited was less of a hassle. Savage-Barrels was more than happy to send a call tag to pick up the barrel and fix the problem but when I told them a GS fixed it for me they offered to pay the bill. They just wanted a copy of the receipt, if there is a next time (I'm sure they have corrected the problem) I'll be sure to get one made up. I'm sure the GS just put the $45 in his pocket that is why he did it right then and there. I'd happily use them again for a barrel for a Savage build.
Taylorce1, very nice rig. What caliber/twist is that and what kind on accuracy are you getting with it?
It is a .243 Win with a 1:7 twist so I can run 115 grain bullets. I'm getting sub MOA at 100 right now with 105 A-Max and 107 SMK. I haven't taken it any further yet as I just got it together. It is posted in this forum as well.

I will eventually upgrade the bottom metal to CDI and the scope as well but unsure on make and model yet. Metal will probably be coated as well, and the stock painted but right now it is a shoot as is rifle. Next time I'll try and build the rifle lighter as it is 11 lbs empty right now, but it is a learning experience. I'm thinking a 9-9.5 lbs all up for the next one and probably a 6.5 of some sort.
Used M700 Police with 26" HB in 308 with a JPE muzzle brake and Eagle Eye 8x32x50 Target scope $685 ,$726 with tax sold the scope for $90 still need to pedal the 1" quick detach rings. So I have $636 in it and my $300 10x40 SWFA looks good on it. Might find me a 30 MOA rail and some different rings. $1000-1100 when done. Shoot? better than I do. Icebreaker III ? you bet.Gets 100fps more velocity than with the same loads in my 22" barrel Marlin XS-7. Be awhile before my skills exceed the M700's capabilities.Can allways spend more, I've allways thought the challenge was to spend less and get more. Magnum Man

PS stock is black, guess I could rattle can it but I think I'll just put a picture of a nearly naked redhead on the side of the buttstock to spruce it up ,sorta.
I've allways thought the challenge was to spend less and get more. Magnum Man

My thoughts exactly. That's why the Rem package looked so good - I don't think you could piece that together cheaper than $1200. Mel has a great rep, too.
At that price for a long range hunting rig and target rifle I would probably just pick up a used Remington 700 Sendero and Nightforce 3.5-15 or 5.5-22.
Savage target, $5 can of Krylon and go shoot... Your in it with glass for $1500...

W
Just buy a Savage 10 and shoot little groups?
How come nobody has mentioned a plain old Remington 5R? They seem to shoot well and are reasonably priced.
Originally Posted by Tanner

I got to tell you I had the chance to shoot one of those abortions in 260 rem and it shot lights out. Now, I'm not in line to buy one but it was impressive.
I'd go a standard 284 Winchester with a 8" twist and shoot the 180g bergers on a Rem 700 long action, it would stomp all this other crap at 1000, 260 would be in the running, but not up to par with the std 284 with the Berger 180's.

Buy a used 25/06 or 270 Sendero, put a new barrel on in 8" twist 284 winchester throated accordingly, you are done.
What caliber do you want? Just get a 700P or a Sendero. Shoot great out of the box, then upgrade as you go along. it's easy

Savage 10 or remington 5r work great too.
You'd come out miles ahead buying a $500 rifle, a $400 piece of glass, and a grand worth of reloading components.....

If I were a critter.... or criminal.... I'd be far more worried about a guy heeled with a $1000 moa rifle that he's shot 1000 times..... than a dude with a $2000 'sniper package' on his second box of factory fodder... no matter the range, or caliber.
Sendero in a Mashburn smile

W
[Linked Image]

$1215 Invested Remington 721 264 WM $65 in 1963, New Shilen 30" SS 1 in 8 barrel glass bedded and bead blasted 700. Nikon Buckmasters 6-18 power with BDC and nikon mounts $350.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
At my local shop $799 they'll ship to your FFL. Pm me if your interested in there info. IMO you can buy and piece together a better rig for the same coin. Here's my current project. Barrel and action came from the local shop and just about everything else came from here.
1967 Rem 700 243 HB Varmiter 1/9
Mcmillian A4 with adj. cheek piece
Wyatt's extended mag box
Harris 6-9 swivel bipod
Blackhawk extended scope rail
Leupold PWR rings
Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 with CDS windage and elevation Plus Leupold flip-ups
Trigger work by me breaks clean and crisp at 2.5# A little heavy but any lighter and the sear failed on the 18" drop
All up. Less than $1700
Before
[Linked Image]
After
[Linked Image]
264, 700. Crap. Just when I leaning one way, these show up! WOW - very nicely done guys.
The 7RM sendero pictured above is a great deal. Get a 4.5x14 Leupold and have the elevation turret installed and you will have a solid package for around $1500.
That is a great price on the Sendero. Thanks Les
Holy abortion by Tikka.

What, exactly, makes it an abortion?

Since you have so much experience shooting so many different rifles, for so many years, I'd like to hear your description of the bad qualities of the T3 Sporter that make it an abortion.
Easy there haus. Nobody insulted your mother, brother, or sister! An Orange laminate stock shaped like that isn't my idea of awesome. I'm sure they shoot great, but some nasty chicks are great in the sack too...

Are you going to be okay?
I think Tikka rifles are great - that's why I was considering them. A Tikka is one of my go-to rifles for deer. Tikka made a Master sporter, with a solid wood stock (not a laminated one). Great looking rifle, but with the disadvantages of solid wood. Tikka's new sporter may shoot great, but I'm not turned on by an orange stock. I would paint it if I decide on buying one.
Think "AFTERMARKET PARTS" get ya a Remmy and you can have a new/different rifle as your pocketbook allows.
Originally Posted by southwind

I got to tell you I had the chance to shoot one of those abortions in 260 rem and it shot lights out. Now, I'm not in line to buy one but it was impressive.

that stock actually probably handles really well, And Tikkas flat shoot...
No doubt that it'd shoot... there's some pretty good videos on youtube of guys in Europe shooting those heavier Tikkas (think they have some sort of chassis type stock though) and they shoot them tight out to around 1k?
I have no love for the stock style on the Tikka but have no doubt it's a shooter as every Tikka I've ever seen shot great.

My style runs more to the McMillan hunter series and A series with a medium heavy barrel but have had more then one factory Sendero that with a trigger tweak and bedding always shot great as well for less coin.

My latest that I just bolted together tonight is a tuned 700 with a 24" #5 PacNor 280 A.I, Timney trigger, PTG trigger guard, McMillan Remingon Hunter, 20 MOA rail, leupold prw rings and a VXIII 4.5-14 LR.

Total tab of $1947.89 all up. Haven't shot it yet but have no doubts it'll run fine with the 162 AMax it's throated for.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Does anyone have any experience with the Tikka Scout?

"The new T3 Scout is a serious professional-grade rifle built for one purpose - precise bullet placement shot after shot. Utilizing state-of-the-art materials and laser-tight machining tolerances, the T3 Scout is simply the most accurate tactical rifle in its class.
Features:

A free-floating hammer forged barrel is made of match-trade Cr-Mo steel and contributes to an out-of-the-box 3-shot MOA guarantee and extremely long shooting life.
A two-piece bolt with locking lungs and spring-loaded ejector features a fast, super-smooth, 70-degree operation.
Tikka's micro-adjustable single-stage performance trigger system provides an adjustment range from two to four pounds and an incredibly fast total lock time of under 1.3 milliseconds.
A super-lightweight 5-shot detachable synthetic tactical magazine provides quick and reliable extraction and reloads fast.
Dual front accessory studs provide maximum versatility.

Capacity 5
Barrel Length 20 inches
Action Type Bolt Action
Stock Material Polymer
Stock Fixed
Sights No
Scope Rails Yes
Optics Included No
Finish Matte

MSRP: $950

[Linked Image]

Played with one in the store, never shot one though. Felt good, and I bet it drives tacks.
Never met a Tikka that didn't. If I can find one with a 24" barrel, I may just end the madness.
I have run a heavy barreled .308 Tikka for about 10 years. It repeatedly shoots loads in the .3s

[Linked Image]

I am a DOS/DOD M24 certified armorer and based on years of experience/observations with QC, I would rather run an out of the box new Tikka than a new Remington. Remington of today is not the company it was in 1970.

That is one reason why I shoot a Sako TRG more than my custom Remingtons. It is simply much easier to buy a Tikka or a TRG than to go through the time and hassle of buying a Remington and throwing away everything but the action, and having to true it up before you can even start.
Amen> good experience shooter speaking.
Nice rifle,love he 721722's. Mine is on a 1981 700 in 6.5 Cmoo 1-8 twist.Hart 26" fluted all tool wit smith work and donr gun [Linked Image]about $1400. without glass. Never been appier.....later
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have run a heavy barreled .308 Tikka for about 10 years. It repeatedly shoots loads in the .3s

[Linked Image]

I am a DOS/DOD M24 certified armorer and based on years of experience/observations with QC, I would rather run an out of the box new Tikka than a new Remington. Remington of today is not the company it was in 1970.

That is one reason why I shoot a Sako TRG more than my custom Remingtons. It is simply much easier to buy a Tikka or a TRG than to go through the time and hassle of buying a Remington and throwing away everything but the action, and having to true it up before you can even start.

Thanks. In your experience, can you comment on the Tikka CTR vs the Tactical? CTR is runng half the price. (I'm looking for a .308)

Thanks
Check what I wrote on this page. It took a while so forgive the cut and paste.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...6288104/5/cheapest_long_range_rig_and_sc

Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

[Linked Image]

Thanks. In your experience, can you comment on the Tikka CTR vs the Tactical? CTR is runng half the price. (I'm looking for a .308)

Thanks

Without question, go with the CTR.

You can buy a 20,30, 35 or whatever you desire rail and stick it on and be G2G. I bought mine long before the was a "tacical" line. It was simply a T3 Varmint in .308. It had a long barrel on it until recently. Since I have a SAKO TRG and others I decided to cut it down.

Don't get fooled into thinking you need a custom stock either. In the magnum calibers, I have noted some issues with the T3 plastic stocks, but never with non magnum guns.

I own a couple of Tikkas and have some experience with them:

[Linked Image]

A good base and a good set of rings, followed with a high quality scope and you will be set.

I am "thinning the herd" right now in the rifles and optics department, but the both of my T3 .308s (I have a T3 lite cut down for a hunting rifle)are staying, along with the SAKO TRG.

Others will go, but those have been the most stellar out of the box shooters with minimal fuss I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

I have a Leupold MKIV and a couple of others that never get used that are going up on the "for sale" block here pretty soon. I just need to make the dang ads.

The Tikka has really been discovered in the last few years and I doubt prices are going to do anything but climb.

Might be alittle hard for some to understand the fun and joy to build a rifle just for you no other like it. Some guys can be happy walkin in a shop and say ya give me that one. It's like when I was a young man and built my first hotrod. There was blood sweat and tears in my fast ol 55 chevy. It would run by the factory cars for some time.I've had built 2 rifles over my years a mauser action 25.06 and a 700 Rem action 6.5 Creedmoor and have had much joy with both. Guess it's something you like or you don't want to go into. Nothin better when a guy walks up and says what's that....later
what part of bucks co are you from bandghunter?
i lived there for 64 years from lower to upper so im probably familiar with it.
BBH - it might now be a matter of not wanting to build it, it may be a matter of time and/or priorities that keeps one from building from scratch.

Mackay - thanks. I agree. Can't see spending $800 for a stock. I had a Tikka Deluxe Whitetail Hunter in .300WM I bought in 2001 - I loved that rifle.
© 24hourcampfire