Home
I have recently found my absolute favorite rifle setup, the Gunwerks LR-1000, but I had decided just the day before that my ideal caliber was a 7mm SAUM. The closest option the LR-1000 is the 7mm Rem. Mag., the 7mm LRM, and the 6.5-284 Norma. Perfermance wise the 7mm LRM is by far the best, but its barrel life is atrocious, only lasting between 1000-2000 rounds with a high quality barrel, and I think that's just unacceptable even with the great performance. The 7mm mag. has good velocities and flat shooting, but the 6.5-284 with a 140 grain Berger on paper is a good jaw dropper, but the 6.5-284 has a shorter barrel life than the 7mm Mag. from what I've read. I'm not worried about hunting anything in NA with either of these calibers, because a well placed shot with either of these calibers could easily take out elk, caribou, mule deer, you name it (except for moose maybe, but those things look hideous to me, wouldn't want one on my wall). The Gunwerks setup is amazing, I could probably get over the 7mm SAUM not being available, because that 6.5-284 is growing on me. They are both really accurate and good for all NA game excluding bear, but I need some experienced minds to point out the significant positives and negatives of both calibers.
They are all similar in effect.

cool
ask them about the B-29AI..... it dominates the 7RM because it uses a blown-out '06 case with a 44* shoulder (10% more than Ackley's).... the case design makes 85k/psi look like 60k. Plus, a 168.22 grain bullet has a BC of .744.... and you can launch them at 3350 because of the case design and bullet bearing surface, there's something to those .2951 caliber bullets.....
I'd go B29 still.
Barrel life? If the barrel life is the same as the 7mm LRM I might as well get the LRM. Also, I do reload my own rounds, but all this necking down cases and modifying brass to go through another barrel is probably too experienced for me, so I want a round with available brass.
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'd go B29 still.

Your'e always onto something bigger and better arn't you.... grin
The B29 will probably last 4-5,000 rounds.
No doubt the midget from the north!
How can one have a dream rifle and dream caliber and not owned handled or shot them?

I think your dad would do you a great favor by getting you a gap non typical in 260,708,or 308 for Christmas. Load for it,shoot it,hunt it then see if you have learned what rifle is next
Acquaintance of mine recently bought two Gunwerks LR-1000 set-ups, including their G7 NightForce Scopes.

First chambering 6XC and a 7mm mag, received the 6 a month or so back and I guess he's quite pleased with it. His 7mm (Rem Mag) I guess wouldn't shoot worth a sh*t and he sent it back. Guess whomever is being great about it, but I'd be pissed to say the least to have to send a 4000-5000.00 rifle back.

Anyways, I've handled the 6 and it's a nice set-up just don't think it's 4500 nice. If I had the money, maybe I'd feel differently?

He apparently really likes it though and that's what counts, very nice guy without a bunch of time for load development and what not. He lost his other rifles in a fire and rather than replacing a bunch, he replaced them with what he really wanted.

ps: After the fact, he kind of told me he wish I probably just went with the 6.5x284
$4500 before you decide which optics, that is more than I can afford. I have been following the OP's threads, waiting to see what decision he makes. As for as the B-29 and barrel life, I've heard that throat erosion was evident in as little as 400 rounds.

Tim
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Nope - watched that man fish for years. This isn't him, not unless he's completely gone to new gear and I don't see him giving up the Loomis for a 5wt fly rod.
Another vote for the B29. I had mine built by a gunsmith in Yuma by a guy that has a shop right on the beach. Surfs during the day and build rifles in the evening. I went with a Pac More 2 7/8's barrel. The smith makes his own stocks out of recycled surf boards. His name is D.B. Cooper if you want to give him a call. In all seriousness, you are like a freshman trying to start out with the prom queen. Start out with the cute girl next door. Stainless Ruger or Winchester .270 or '06. Prom Queens are too finicky.
Originally Posted by teal

Nope - watched that man fish for years. This isn't him, not unless he's completely gone to new gear and I don't see him giving up the Loomis for a 5wt fly rod.

You might try reading between the lines.......
Don't waste your time with the B-29 it is highly overrated. Have your rifle chambered for the .378 Weatherby necked to 6mm. Then get a box of 105 VLD's. Thank me later.
Originally Posted by ColoradoPipeliner
Another vote for the B29. I had mine built by a gunsmith in Yuma by a guy that has a shop right on the beach. Surfs during the day and build rifles in the evening. I went with a Pac More 2 7/8's barrel. The smith makes his own stocks out of recycled surf boards. His name is D.B. Cooper if you want to give him a call. In all seriousness, you are like a freshman trying to start out with the prom queen. Start out with the cute girl next door. Stainless Ruger or Winchester .270 or '06. Prom Queens are too finicky.

And for minute I thought you had it all figured out! laugh
Get the Gunwerks LR 1000 in 7MM LRM thank me later.
You guys ever heard the term "being played"
You guys ever heard the term "being played"

Word
© 24hourcampfire