Home
OK, lets talk about those esoteric LONG RANGE rigs and what it takes to be one... here is a cartridge that probably gets overlooked by most, as just not being worthy. you know: too slow, too pedestrian, not cutting edge: the 30-06!!

lol grin

for me, it would probably not be a first choice... but... why shouldn't it be!? just sayin'...
It's the bullet that matters most, not the cartridge......
.270 Win (check out the 165 Matrix @ 2800)

Dober
.600 BC @ 2800+ ..... however you want to get there....
Here are some articles from an author who puts the '06 to very good use at long range.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2012/05/cartridges-accuracy-secrets-of-30-06.html

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2012/05/cartridges-accuracy-secrets-of-30-06_10.html

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2012/05/cartridges-accuracy-secrets-of-30-06_13.html

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/11/cartridges-logical-30-06.html

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2011/02/cartridges-30-06-update.html
Here is a sleeper, IMO.

270 Weatherby 150 VLD @ 3230 FPS.. I've ran it to 1600 yards so far.

[Linked Image]

Nice.... that one is certainly not a little brother for a Seven to be picking on....
.270 wsm with berger vld. Done well for me so far.
jiminy christmas!! .6 bc and 2800 fps... i can get there with a 162 grain A-max and my 280 Remington... you are making this too easy for me... do not let my wife see this.
those are great links on the 30-06 articles. thanks,...
Another one, overlooked because they work best in a medium action, and that it is over 100 years old..Great components out there for them tho..I get a touch over 2800 FPS with 140's in my 27" tube.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dogger
jiminy christmas!! .6 bc and 2800 fps... i can get there with a 162 grain A-max and my 280 Remington... you are making this too easy for me... do not let my wife see this.

I did it for a year or so...

Get yourself some 162 AMAXEs, 7828ssc, and turrets. Look for 2800, 1k is easy for that combo.

The .280 is a very respectable LR machine.... I'd rather have a .280/162 than a .308 Win. That's what's kind of funny to me.... guys build 6.5/284s to launch .575-.640 BC pills at 2800-3000, using 53-58 grains of powder.

All the while the .280 is staring them in the face with it's properly twisted factory barrel.... and copious space in the mag box.... and a plethora of cheap quality brass... throw in the.625 BC 162 Amax for sub-$30/100 and it's a no brainer. Yet, they can't see the forrest through the trees.
rosco... I can dig the Swede!
.45-70, 90, 100, and 110. All the good ones smile
OK, lets talk about those esoteric LONG RANGE rigs and what it takes to be one... here is a cartridge that probably gets overlooked by most, as just not being worthy. you know: too slow, too pedestrian, not cutting edge: the 30-06!!

lol grin

for me, it would probably not be a first choice... but... why shouldn't it be!? just sayin'...
...........The 30-06 wouldn`t be my first choice because it is too generic, too common, too pedestrian as you say, too boring a round, and it doesn`t perk my shoulder enough... laugh laugh

I prefer the rounds that make ya feel like you`re really shooting something.

What are ya shooting there? Oh a 30-06?......Ho-hum as the questioner returns to his shooting bench!.... laugh laugh laugh laugh
30-06 never go on a hunt without one. what about the trusty little 7-08.
how about the 256 30 and 35 newtons..
Although no longer in vogue, the .300H&H with a 200gr HPBT bullet in an accurate heavy barrel rifle does a pretty good job at long range and doesn't kick like the other .300 mags. A true "classic".
Originally Posted by timbo762
Although no longer in vogue, the .300H&H with a 200gr HPBT bullet in an accurate heavy barrel rifle does a pretty good job at long range and doesn't kick like the other .300 mags. A true "classic".

The case capacity is still quite en vougue.... it's known as the .300 WSM. Barsness and Sisk did a little experiment with those two a few years back if I'm not mistaken.... they were like Arnold and DeVito..... different looking in every way, yet still Twins...

I think it's funny you bring up the 'kick' thing.... as that one of the claims the WSM used to usurp some of the .300 Winny's thunder, was that it "doesn't kick like the other .300 mags."
Originally Posted by aalf
It's the bullet that matters most, not the cartridge......

Hmmm...it's THE SHOOTER that matters most...not the cartridge!

There...I fixed it for ya!
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
30-06 never go on a hunt without one. what about the trusty little 7-08.
......30-06? Never go on a hunt without one? I do as much as I can when time permits.

Don`t own one but I like the the 7/08.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
What are ya shooting there? Oh a 30-06?......Ho-hum as the questioner returns to his shooting bench!.... laugh laugh laugh laugh

You say that like people leaving you alone is a bad thing...
just getting into a 284 win... light rifle, not really long range, but I do know folks have used it on target mathces at 1000 more than a few times...

7x300 wtby is another weird one that I have.

Some reason I kind of am drawn to the none standard rounds.

But then again I often grab the 308 and have total confidence in it pretty far out there...
© 24hourcampfire