Home
if you have 1500 to spend on just the gun and wanted a light weight semi long range gun for deer sized game what would you build specs... caliber,action,stock,barrel
6.5mm Cal.
.260 rem chamber
SS M700 action
SS #3 barrel
McEdge ADL
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
6.5mm Cal.
.260 rem chamber
SS M700 action
SS #3 barrel
McEdge ADL

That sums it up. About perfect for a LW/LR deer rig....
A 7\08 LVSF would sure work, too..
Originally Posted by matt_allen
if you have 1500 to spend on just the gun and wanted a light weight semi long range gun for deer sized game what would you build specs... caliber,action,stock,barrel

What is semi-long range?

just something around 600 yd im just seeing what everyone likes while im sitting here board at working thinking i need another gun lol
I'd keep my eyes open for a used Cooper in .260, 7mm-08, .308, 6.5-06, .280, or .270.

Another option I would investigate would be a Winchester EW, and put a McMillan Winchester Hunter stock on it.

If building on a $1500 budget, Rem Stainless 700, Brux barrel, Shilen trigger, McMillan Hunter stock in one of the above cartridges.

John
Not sure why everyone gravitates to mc millan stocks. you can get a Bell & Carlson for a lot less and they work just as well.
For that kind of price, you can get a nice Remington Sendero in a number of calibers- 25-06, 270, 280, 300 Win Mag, and if it doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA have the action trued and the barrel spun back on and I'm betting it will easily be capable of long range work and you'll have money left over.

Bob
A Sendero, while nice, sure ain't lightweight.
Originally Posted by eh76
Not sure why everyone gravitates to mc millan stocks.

Because they're really good.

you can get a Bell & Carlson for a lot less

Which can be good and bad.

and they work just as well.

Not necessarily.
Matt-in all honesty I'd think about improving a rig that I had in the stable already. Make any sense?

Dober
6.5mm Cal.
.260 rem chamber
SS M700 action
SS #3 barrel
McEdge ADL

Exactly what i am doing- just need to decide on tube length
23" is model perfecto and the top spin Gold Standard... cool

Dober
everything i have in the stable right now is as nice as it can get so thats why i was thinking of a new toy
- SS Remington 700 action
- 22" tube duping Remington 700 Mountain Rifle contour
- McMillan Edge Stock, Ti takeoff, or B&C ultralight (Ti stock)
- .260 Remington throated for 130 VLD's or 7mm-08 Remington chamber throated for 140 VLD's
- Talley LW lows
- Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 with M1 elevation turret

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
23" is model perfecto and the top spin Gold Standard... cool

Dober

HA- why does Austin Powers suddenly come to mind when i read that smile

I am thinking of starting at 24 and then hacking it back if needed. Going 1:8 Rock- cut rifling. Just wish the lead times on the McMillians werent so long.
Not sure why everyone gravitates to mc millan stocks. you can get a Bell & Carlson for a lot less and they work just as well.

I have a B&C we put on my son's .270 and from a standpoint of pure function, it works just fine. But... Because of the way B&C runs the tube coming off the aluminum bedding block through the grip, the grips tend to feel thick in my hand. Other than that, they are just fine, and I wouldn't be afraid to run one if finances dictated.

John
Originally Posted by GregW
- .260 Remington throated for 130 VLD's or 7mm-08 Remington chamber throated for 140 VLD's
- Talley LW lows

[Linked Image]
Ahhh the highly sought after and endangered Montucky Mtn Zebra... cool
Have I mentioned b4 Tanner how accurate that Mtn Zebra is...grin

Dober
now the next but harder ? is what who would you have build it thats good but not out of this world?

Dober

well- unless i missed it- not today shocked
- Talley LW lows

[Linked Image]

Except this particular one is a .22-250 Ackley -

[Linked Image]
I just realized that picture makes the rifle look like it's anchored to the rock on the bipod end...Weird.
Cool rig Greg. I'd that an Edge or a Ti?
Ti.
Originally Posted by stevenautique

Dober

well- unless i missed it- not today shocked

Thx my man, you can't know how much I needed that laugh today!

Guys gotta love this place... smile

Dober
- Talley LW lows

[Linked Image]

Except this particular one is a .22-250 Ackley -

[Linked Image]

G-that is a nice rig and a heck of a Coues!

Dober
now the next but harder ? is what who would you have build it thats good but not out of this world?

From what i have had built 1500 with an edge would be a stretch. I think they are about 5 bills. Unless you already have a donor, but it didnt sound like you did. I say that with caution as I have always built mine from the ground up and had the smith supply the action, barrel and stock.
600 bucks for pac nor barrel action work chambering and fitting.. 450 bucks for donor.. 500 bucks for McEdge..
Now does anyone have a 260 in these specs forsake???
600 bucks for pac nor barrel action work chambering and fitting.. 450 bucks for donor.. 500 bucks for McEdge..

There we go- I stand corrected.
Don't get me wrong, its tight whenever you pencil it out. It helps to buy a good donor and recoup costs by parting it out and selling the pieces.
700 for Hart barrel and install.. 450 for donor.. 200 for LVSF stock..
Its fun making build sheets without spending the ducats..
I'd buy an 8400 Montana 325 WSM, and slap a 24" stainless tube of your choice that mics .62" at the muzzle and says 6.5 SAUM or 7 SAUM on the side.
Nah, you got it all wrong, it needs to say "6.5 WSM."
As long as we're talking six five shorties how about a 260ackley for something different. Should be able to get close to 3000 with the 140's
Originally Posted by stevenautique
Should be able to get close to 3000 with the 140's
With a 32" barrel.
just something around 600 yd im just seeing what everyone likes while im sitting here board at working thinking i need another gun lol

I wouldn't build.....I'd get a M70 EW chambered 7mm WSM or 7 Rem mag and then blow as much on a great scope as I could afford.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I wouldn't build.....I'd get a M70 EW chambered 7mm WSM or 7 Rem mag and then blow as much on a great scope as I could afford.

+1
I thought he wanted something light and accurate...
Oh well.....back to the drawing board.... blush grin

Well, then I'd find a used Kimber Montana and rebarrel to 6.5 Creedmoor.I say that cause that's what I would like.

In about three months I'll show you all something light and accurate ......Loco knows what I'm talking about......grin!
Originally Posted by smokepole
Whichever mousetrap did 3150 with 6.5mm 130s while breathing easy would make me happy.

I just did that. I started with with a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight six lug rifle ($899). It weighed 5 lb 14 oz. I replace the factory stock with a Lone Wolf and shaved six ounces ($756.10). Pac-Nor replaced the factory 24" barrel with a factory duplication fluted 26" contour nine inch twist and chambered it with my .257SLR reamer, threaded the muzzle for 7/8" to accept my home made muzzle brake($800). I added a Timney trigger ($90).

Did I keep it at $1500?

By the way the factory stock and trigger are for sale.
I have a B&C we put on my son's .270 and from a standpoint of pure function, it works just fine. But... Because of the way B&C runs the tube coming off the aluminum bedding block through the grip, the grips tend to feel thick in my hand. Other than that, they are just fine, and I wouldn't be afraid to run one if finances dictated

I cut my groups in half on my .220 Extremest by replacing a McMillan with a Bell&Carlson. Who would think it?
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

In about three months I'll show you all something light and accurate ......Loco knows what I'm talking about......grin!

Oh yeah!

Hopefully mine will be ready in April..
Originally Posted by Ringman
I have a B&C we put on my son's .270 and from a standpoint of pure function, it works just fine. But... Because of the way B&C runs the tube coming off the aluminum bedding block through the grip, the grips tend to feel thick in my hand. Other than that, they are just fine, and I wouldn't be afraid to run one if finances dictated

I cut my groups in half on my .220 Extremest by replacing a McMillan with a Bell&Carlson. Who would think it?

Way to go wrong man!

Oh yeah!

You driving up?
Not sure why everyone gravitates to mc millan stocks.

Because they're really good.

you can get a Bell & Carlson for a lot less

Which can be good and bad.

and they work just as well.

Not necessarily.

sure do and aren't as heavy or hard cold plastic......btw I have used about 10 different suppliers wink not a whore for any of them laugh
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Oh yeah!

You driving up?

Might have to!

Uhh.. What's the weather forecast?
The Hidabed is reserved if you do make it, weather should be nice....grin
Originally Posted by Tanner
Whichever mousetrap did 3150 with 6.5mm 130s while breathing easy would make me happy.

I'll let you know after this weekend on the 6.5 WSM, got some mousetraps loaded and ready to go.
[Linked Image]

The fat one on the right is the one I'll be rockin'....
6.5mm Cal.
.260 rem chamber
SS M700 action
SS #3 barrel
McEdge ADL

yeah, basically that. coulda just locked the thread after the 1st response.
[Linked Image]

I'll be rocking a fatty too ! laffin' wink
Ummmmhmmmm.....
shocked
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
[Linked Image]

I'll be rocking a fatty too ! laffin' wink

No worries guys......that's only legal in Colorado and Washington............grin!
Remington 700 CDL 257 Weatherby Mag and have enough left over for a scope and rings.
Laffin'

Better clarify the tool I am running that fatty in !!

My new GAP Templar action... wink
[Linked Image]
Laffin'

Better clarify the tool I am running that fatty in !!

My new GAP Templar action...

Isn't that a little over budget?
[Linked Image]

Pat, have you clocked those in the SAUM yet?
And as long as we're into the innuendos, when I go to the range to shoot 6.5's, I'm never without a fat one.......and a tall boy......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

you seem to prefer the 130 gr over the 140 gr. does your rifle just prefer that weight or ?
[Linked Image]

How about these in the mix? Left to right Hornady 95gr Vmax, Sierra 100gr HP, Nosler 100gr ballistic tip, JLK 130gr VLD, Nosler 140 gr partition and Hornady 160gr Rnd nose. I would spend the 1500 on building another 264WM. ;-)
264, What lenght barrel do you have on your .264 and what is your fav. powder for that caliber??? Most of the better powders were available when I had my last one..
In my .260, the velocity obtainable with the 130s pretty much overcomes the BC advantages of the 140s.

John
John,

What velocity are you getting with a 130?

Keith
130's should be around 2980 to 3000 with the 260
2906 w/ H4350. Warm load, but shoots very well. Best accuracy with 140s is in the 2730 range in my rifle.

John
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
264, What lenght barrel do you have on your .264 and what is your fav. powder for that caliber??? Most of the better powders were available when I had my last one..

30" Shilen 1 in 8 twist and I have always used H4831.
Originally Posted by 264wm
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

30" Shilen 1 in 8 twist and I have always used H4831.

Hey 264!

You've been hamstringing your .264 if you are using a relative "pistol powder" like H4831.

Try some of the slowest stuff you can get your hands on like WC-872 and your .264 will achieve its fullest potential

140's at 3250 fps..........
And as long as we're into the innuendos, when I go to the range to shoot 6.5's, I'm never without a fat one.......and a tall boy......

[Linked Image]
smoke, that 6.5 Whizzum is a nasty looking sumbeesh! Nice!
[Linked Image]

you seem to prefer the 130 gr over the 140 gr. does your rifle just prefer that weight or ?

IMO, it's a better choice for the .260/6.5 Creed/6.5X47 sized cases.

I'm especially liking the 130gr JLK's with a .600 G1 BC at 3000fps. That bullet, pointed with a "Whidden Bullet Pointer" is reported to have a .625 BC. Imagine that at 3300fps.........
Thanks. Been shooting a 260 in an XP-100R for a while. Building this 6.5x47 Lapua. I have both 130's and 140's to try. Friend who put my rifle together is getting 2880 out of his 6.5x47 L with 140's.
[Linked Image]

IMO, it's a better choice for the .260/6.5 Creed/6.5X47 sized cases.

I'm especially liking the 130gr JLK's with a .600 G1 BC at 3000fps. That bullet, pointed with a "Whidden Buitullet Pointer" is reported to have a .625 BC. Imagine that at 3300fps.........

You can stop it now..

Might break the $1,500 bank though!
I'm especially liking the 130gr JLK's with a .600 G1 BC at 3000fps. That bullet, pointed with a "Whidden Bullet Pointer" is reported to have a .625 BC.

Glad you brought that up.....

Have you killed anything with the pointed bullets?

I point all my 6's for 1K with the Whidden, but have been contemplating pointing some for coyotes. Just wondering if expansion would suffer or not.....
m700 .260 throated for 140 a-max.
Little recoil and will kill anything most peple will ever hunt

You should see the rifle, LOL, Kimber Montana with a Pacnor #2, 24".

I checked my notes, I got up to 3200 with 130 vld's, but best accuracy (around 1/2 MOA) was at 3150 with 66 grains H-1000 if you're interested. I have a bunch of 130 Sciroccos loaded up, they'll be next.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
2906 w/ H4350. Warm load, but shoots very well. Best accuracy with 140s is in the 2730 range in my rifle.

John

John, what are you running for a barrel length and how much of what to get 2906 with the 130's?

My Zebra rifle has a 22" tube and 130's run 2800 and the 140's are stuck @ 2650. I burn H4350 with the 130's and H4831 with the 140 Bergs. In my rifle the 140's shoot incredibly well when seated to fit the box. The 130 Bergs shoot well when close to the lands but not when fitting the box.

Thx
Dober
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
130's should be around 2980 to 3000 with the 260

Scott how long of a tube and how much of what?

My 22" tube is running 130's at a skosh over 2800 via H4350. I'm fairly sure that with a 25-26" tube I could be @ 2900 though.

Thx, and hope you have a super 13!

Dober

(everyday spring bruins gets closer... cool)

You should see the rifle, LOL, Kimber Montana with a Pacnor #2, 24".

I checked my notes, I got up to 3200 with 130 vld's, but best accuracy (around 1/2 MOA) was at 3150 with 66 grains H-1000 if you're interested. I have a bunch of 130 Sciroccos loaded up, they'll be next.
I'll take it....

John

John, what are you running for a barrel length and how much of what to get 2906 with the 130's?

My Zebra rifle has a 22" tube and 130's run 2800 and the 140's are stuck @ 2650. I burn H4350 with the 130's and H4831 with the 140 Bergs. In my rifle the 140's shoot incredibly well when seated to fit the box. The 130 Bergs shoot well when close to the lands but not when fitting the box.

Thx
Dober

Dober,

For the 130gr, 45gr H4350, 24" 8.5" twist Brux barrel. Both the 140s and 130s like to be seated kissing the lands in my rifle, but with the combination of Wyatt box and custom throat, I can get there at magazine length.

42.5gr H4350 will give me 2730ish w/ 140s.

John
140 VLD's at 2850 via H-4350 down a 23" Rock 8 twist over an Oehler 33......
I'll take it....

Sold!! Asking price is only $5,999.99.

Sounds high, but that's with Tasco rings and scope. And shipping.

I'll take it....

Whew tanner. Tabasco scope and rings! Better jump on that rig. Just graduate a year latter. Tasco's are worth it;)
Originally Posted by aalf

aalf-what round are you speaking of (obviously not the .260)and how much H4350?

Thx
Dober
Yes 260....and enough to get 2850..... whistle
I'll take it....

Check is in the mail, but just keep the rifle!
Yes 260....and enough to get 2850..... whistle

That's nutz! Bob Seagram kind of barrel I guess.

Dober
Well, if you really need to know, it's 44.5 grains, which is exactly the same amount showing on Hodgdon's online site.

And I'm shooting moly plated bullets.....
we're talking 140's right...?

how long a barrel, I might of missed that part?

Dober
Thx-you're one Crazy Cheesehead... cool

Dober
Thanks...I think....

Remember, you of all people, should know you can't take all things at face value all the time.

I'm using Lapua 308, necked down, turned, and detailed. Moly plated bullets, and a Wyatts box, 140's seated into the lands a bit, at a 2.945" OAL. I've ran it out to 1200 yards. This all in a hunting rig.... s/s 700, #4 fluted, McM Classic stock, and a 4.4-14 Mark IV on top. 8 lbs, 3 ozs.

Certainly not my first 260, but probably my last......
Check is in the mail, but just keep the rifle!

Ahh, so you're just after the scope and rings, a connoiseur, eh?
Love the humor here grin
I'm dead serious, he's getting one heck of a deal. That Tanner, he knows his stuff.
I love my jokes too.

Smokey is practically giving away that Tasco... What a sucker.
we're talking 140's right...?

how long a barrel, I might of missed that part?

Dober

Mark,

using the same charge with IMR 4350 and 140s, I get 2750 fps out of a standard Ruger factory 22 inch barrel...

moly'ed bullets and a little more barrel.. plus Hodgdon vs IMR 4350.. I could see another 100 fps...especially with bullet seating...

I know with each factory 260 I had, the first thing I did was have each one throated out to handle magazine length 142 Sierras and 160 grain Hornady RNs...

that allows shorter bullets to be seated further out...and gave me an increase in velocity..... ( I know you personally know all of that stuff... just putting it in for those that may not, and heading off any questions from the naythsayers)

John

Thx
Dober

Jeez, Dober, an even number on the barrel length... how do you sleep at night? eek
My current 7mm Remington Mag is plenty light enough, I would take the 1500 and go buy a couple of tags and go hunting, and elk or two would be nice.
Originally Posted by KDK

John

Thx
Dober

Jeez, Dober, an even number on the barrel length... how do you sleep at night? eek

You know he hates the fact he can't stretch it out to 23 inches.... wink
© 24hourcampfire