Home
I've know of a few guys who shoot a 6.5-06, but has anyone on here ever turned a 257 weatherby into a 6.5 weatherby? I want to build a 6.5 for long range shooting and have been looking at both the 6.5 creedmore and the 264 win. Just curious if anyone on here has ever tried with a weatherby. If so what is the ideal OAL?
Seems like the long way around the barn when you could just load a 264 Win Mag to Bee levels?
Originally Posted by efw
Seems like the long way around the barn when you could just load a 264 Win Mag to Bee levels?

+1

When I saw the title to this thread I thought, that would be the .264 Win Mag. I have a .264 Win Mag and a .270 Wby and the .264 is exactly in the middle between the .257 and .270 Wby just without the silly radiused shoulder.
Originally Posted by JT1980
.....I want to build a 6.5 for long range shooting and have been looking at both the 6.5 creedmore......

I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor and not look back, for a LR 6.5mm.

Good ballistics, good barrel life, and modest recoil.
6.5-06
139's 142's 141's to 3000 fps + with ease, long brass life and good barrel life.

One stroke though the die of 25-06 up or 270 down and load it.

Simple and to the point.

without the silly radiused shoulder.

What are you talking about?! I paid twenty bucks extra to get the Weatherby look on my .220 Extremist. See if I accept any more gifts from you. crazy
Just go up to .277 smile My more than slightly used Mark V (good shooter though!)

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Ringman
without the silly radiused shoulder.

What are you talking about?! I paid twenty bucks extra to get the Weatherby look on my .220 Extremist. See if I accept any more gifts from you. crazy

I'm not immune to them, I have a .270 Wby and a .375 Wby. grin
I really like the 257 weatherby, but the ballistic coefficient on the 6.5 is really amazing. The 6.5, 140 gr accubond has a higher B.C. than the 180 gr accubond I shoot in my 300WSM. I do shoot a 270, and I love it, but once again the .264 has a higher B.C. than the .277. I'm looking for the ultimate long range shooter.

What I'm really looking for here is any information on a .264 weatherby. I need to know the OAL in order to have the barrel chambered correctly.
I'm with you on 6.5 bullets. I gotta come back to the question though. What would you be gaining over a .264 Win mag? Case capacity is nearly identical and brass is available OTC...

If it's just a "would be really cool" thing, I understand that. Have done more than one build that way...

John
For the Weatherby fans a .270 Wby with a fast twist barrel would probably do quite well with the 165gr and 175gr offerings from Matrix bullets:

165gr with a .7381 BC:
[Linked Image]

http://matrixballistics.com/.277-Caliber-rifle-bullets.html
Actually, McWhorter does make that cartridge in their rifle line.
Originally Posted by JT1980
I've know of a few guys who shoot a 6.5-06, but has anyone on here ever turned a 257 weatherby into a 6.5 weatherby? I want to build a 6.5 for long range shooting and have been looking at both the 6.5 creedmore and the 264 win. Just curious if anyone on here has ever tried with a weatherby. If so what is the ideal OAL?

Look at some of the newer 6.5's, like the 6.5 SAUM. Some of those rounds will give the .264 WM a serious race and do it more efficiently.

My 6.5-284 will push 140 VLD's at 3,000 fps comfortably with 48.8 gr. RL-17, maintaining 1/2 MOA precision. It'll go 3,100 fps, but groups open up.

The short, fat rounds will add 100 fps or so to that, which is about all one could expect from a .264 WM, burning a lot more powder.

DF
Should be picking up my 6.5-06 in a few days. You really cannot go wrong with any 6.5 though. Tempted to turn my 243 into a 6.5 Creed...
Did Gre Tan do your 6.5-06 Drew?
yep.
Always thought a 6.5-300 Winchester would rule the planet.Good brass easy to find add the BC of the 6.5 bullet.
Like a 264 plus
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Always thought a 6.5-300 Winchester would rule the planet.Good brass easy to find add the BC of the 6.5 bullet.
Like a 264 plus

Now, that would be a bomb, for sure.

I wonder if a barrel would last through load development...?? blush

DF
It shouldn't be too bad. My 7 Shooting Times has held up pretty good.Actually it's better than I thought it'd be.
6.5-300 Mehhh, too long and a short neck.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Like a 264 plus

DF

Not with the way I do load development! grin

John
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Like a 264 plus

DF

Not with the way I do load development! grin

John

I think after a couple hundred rounds, the Hawkeye borescope would tell all... blush

DF
Can't be worst than a 7 Shooting Times DF.Thinkin this barrel burner stuff is moot anyway,as far as hunting rifles are concerned.

My barrel burners are hunters not paper punchers if ya catch my drift..grin
So much can be done without burning large amounts of powder and barrels...
I hear that..
As I've previously posted, my 6.5-284 shows early throat erosion thru the Hawkeye after 400 rounds or so down the tube. But, it's still a solid 1/2 MOA performer. As a hunting rifle, it should last a long time, as you pointed out... cool

Some of those rounds were used in load development. Now that I have a high performing load that I plan to stick with, there's no need to keep on blasting away. I have other guns for that.

DF
6.5-06.. better bbl life than the 6.5X284 and the same performance.

I have had/have several of both. The 6.5-06 does everything the fatter more expensive 6.5X284 does ;-)
Why do you think that happens?

Is it the short neck? .300 WM has a short neck, is a relatively high performance round and doesn't seem to be that bad a throat eroding round.

Curious.

DF
The one who builds my rifles said that exactly. Longer neck and shoulder geometry play a benificial roll.

My 300 winny's were toast at about 2400 rounds.

Neat thing is the 6.5-06 can run with the winny... ;-)

140 berger or 139 scenar doing 3000 fps... run it on a ballistic calc.
I chose the 6.5-284, as it was the LR shooter's darling at the time. It may edge the 6.5-06 in precision according to their info.

To get the fatter .284 case to feed, the action will need some tweaking and the follower milled for that round.

With the 6.5-06, just load'em and shoot'em.

Having owned and shot both, do your 6.5-284's group slightly tighter than your 6.5-06's, on the average? Just currious, as for a hunting rifle, a small difference wouldn't matter.

DF
I've shot (for record) a 4.1" group with the 6.5-284 in 1K BR

My hunting 6.5X284's never could do that.

I've shot 1" groups at 550 yards with my huntnig weight 6.5-06's

I really don't think accuracy goes to one or the other. I feel the accuracy is in fact directly related to this.

The smith
The barrel
The hand load
The nut behind the wheel

Cocadori,

This is a short post, but says volumes.

I am encouraged by this because my newest wildcat has a .200" neck. It needs only its salt bath nitride finish before it is killing paper and hopefully game next season. I am hoping to match .257 Roy velocity with an ultralight rifle.
Originally Posted by Cocadori
I've shot (for record) a 4.1" group with the 6.5-284 in 1K BR

My hunting 6.5X284's never could do that.

I've shot 1" groups at 550 yards with my huntnig weight 6.5-06's

I really don't think accuracy goes to one or the other. I feel the accuracy is in fact directly related to this.

The smith
The barrel
The hand load
The nut behind the wheel

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

DF
© 24hourcampfire