Home
Posted By: n8dawg6 Remember the SPS Long Range? - 01/17/14
Announced several yrs ago, never showed up, was gonna be essentially a sendero with SPS vermint-style tuppeware stock. .25-06 (wonderful "long range" cartridge), 7mm rem mag, .300 mag, RUM were the announced chamberings.

well now all of a sudden they're out there ... in .30-06. wonders never cease w/ the big green.

http://grabagun.com/rem-84166-700-sps-lr-3006.html
I suspect the SPS Long Range 30-06 as shown does not exist. Unless it's a semi-auto with a 22" barrel.
PG, I would tend to agree with you, except that the SKU is all over the place:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...d/90819/Remington+700+M40+LR+3006+BLKGRY

http://www.richiespng.com/product.php?item=154401

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/rem-84...field-26-4-1-syn-stk-blk-gray-blued.html

now, I'll admit to being a little confused on the M40 B&C reference on a few of these. sometimes the SKU has it, sometimes it doesn't. But if they are selling a factory 700 heavy barrel with the M40 for <$1,000, it's MUCH cheaper than the .308 and .300 win mag versions with that stock:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...d/81889/Remington+700+TACT+3R+300+MG+BLK ($1,053)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/81888/Remington+700+TACT+5R+308+BLK ($1,053)

all of which leads me to believe they've made a run of .30-06's in the varmint SPS stock with the 26" HB ...
Very interesting. Would make a really neat long range setup, especially flinging some 208 Amaxs.

If they are going for the low price with the B&C M40, that's an excellent deal!
I'm definetly going to need to own one of these. I got the heads up when they introduced the 2020 optic system. The listed the heavy barrel 30-06 in their rifle system page.

http://shoot2020.com/select-rifles

Note though, these are different then the true SPS with the cheap stock:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-long-range.aspx

This one will have a Bell and Carlson stock.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-long-range.aspx

Either way, that Long Range with the M40 stock, at under $750, will be on my short list.
My heavy 30-06 had no trouble making 2800 fps with 208 AMax, at 26". Cutting it to 22.5", it still does 2720 fps.

It's a good LR round, that is less prone to blowing up at closer ranges.
They offer it in 25-06?? But no 280. Must be the 25 is the new 7... What the @#$^@ is Remingtons aversion to a 280 or the AI??

W
Originally Posted by woofer
They offer it in 25-06?? But no 280. Must be the 25 is the new 7... What the @#$^@ is Remingtons aversion to a 280 or the AI??

W

Why would Remington offer a 280 when they already offer it in the 7mm REMINGTON Mag?
Dunno. Less recoil maybe. They offer it in 300 Win and Ultra and in 06' with a BC. Cant imagine them being redundant enough to offer in a 280 REMINGTON with a 7Mag on the board.. And the 25 of all choices screams 1k shooting on a budget...

W
so does any one have one yet and fired it??
Posted By: Bater Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 01/21/14
no 6.5x284 or anything 26ish....dammit Remington
Posted By: Bater Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 01/21/14
prob buy one in 7 anyhoo
This is one of those deals that if I don't take advantage of, sometime in the future I would have wished I would have.
I just ordered one.
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
This is one of those deals that if I don't take advantage of, sometime in the future I would have wished I would have.
I just ordered one.

Let us know what it actually is when it shows up whistle
As much as I haven't been a fan of Remingtons quality recently, and the fact I've never been a fan of their barrels in particular, I'm really getting close to ordering on....
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I just ordered one.

Let us know what it actually is when it shows up whistle

Will do
Originally Posted by Tackdriver22250
I've never been a fan of their barrels in particular

i've had awfully good "luck" with remington varmint/sendero barrels ...
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I've never been a fan of their barrels in particular

i've had awfully good "luck" with remington varmint/sendero barrels ...

I've always had good luck with them myself, in fact for an out of the box shooter the Sendero would be hard to beat.
Seems like the Remington heavy barrels I've had in the past were accurate, but fouled so badly they lost all accuracy after 10-15 rounds. Maybe I'll try some of that Tubbs final finish bore treatment on this one, because I did just order one from Bud's.
Tack - can't wait to hear how it shoots. besides 30-06 i would like to see them make it in 6.5-284 also.
So I'm having trouble seeing what cal's they are offering them in. I was looking at this rifle on their site a couple weeks ago but didn't see anything on caliber so I assumed it was announced but not out yet. Looks like an original sendero, what's the price point, for those that have ordered? At that price it kind of kicks the sendero in the teeth. I hope it doesn't have the Model 700 LV finish, kind of cheaply I think. Interesting, may wait for a 25-06 and a 6,5 something
God forbid If Remington would build one in .260 .......Or a .280 , or a 7mm saum. they have let their own three best lighter long range calibers die !
Originally Posted by Iclimb
So I'm having trouble seeing what cal's they are offering them in. I was looking at this rifle on their site a couple weeks ago but didn't see anything on caliber so I assumed it was announced but not out yet. Looks like an original sendero, what's the price point, for those that have ordered? At that price it kind of kicks the sendero in the teeth. I hope it doesn't have the Model 700 LV finish, kind of cheaply I think. Interesting, may wait for a 25-06 and a 6,5 something

I got to touch one today. Well, actually three of them. Local funstore has one each in 30-06, 300 Winchester, and 7mm Remington magnum. The stock on them has a weird feel to it, like a solid piece of Styrofoam. Felt pretty good in the hands, in spite of that. Price was $699, as I recall. Was thinking about it.....

Kaiser Norton
I looked at some today as well. They had 4 caliber in stock: 25-06, 7mm RM, 300WM, and 300 RUM. Seem like nice rigs. Tags all said $699. Stock fit me well and it was tempting but I passed, at least for now...
Seems like the Remington heavy barrels I've had in the past were accurate, but fouled so badly they lost all accuracy after 10-15 rounds. Maybe I'll try some of that Tubbs final finish bore treatment on this one, because I did just order one from Bud's.

Neverbeen a problem with my Remington's that way. Has the new gun showed up yet?What do you here? Magnum Man
Posted By: aalf Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/01/14
Latest Cabela's flyer has them for $50 off, now $649.....
Originally Posted by aalf
Latest Cabela's flyer has them for $50 off, now $649.....

Yup saw them this afternoon at our local Cabelas(RC, SD) they had them in stock 25-06, 7mmRem Mag, 300 Win Mag, and 300 Ultra Mag but no 30-06's. Magnum Man
I haven't even picked up my 30-06 and I'm already thinking about one in 25-06.
I checked with Scheel's last week and the guy there said a limited run of stainless models will be available and he is checking on price.

I received Cabela's flyer but their price seems a little even on sale. They do have coupons though.
what stock is on em? sps-style, or bell/carlson M40?
the latter
So...has anyone received a rifle yet.
I'm having a hard time believing they have a b/c stock w/aluminum bedding for $700. Just way too good to be true?
I'll have one on the 18th when I get home. Local shop has one on order for me for $660. I'll take it apart and post pictures if it hasn't been done yet.
I found a short video today on the M700 LR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKuwuy42JK8
Posted By: KDK Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/07/14
I really wanted one of these in 7 RUM.... I think they were on aremington's website for about 5 minutes, never to be seen again.
I would like to see a actual review from someone on here
Checked them out at a local gunshop and Cabelas last week. They are long and yet feel ok other than the forend which is like holding on to a 2x4 the narrow way. Was looking at the one chambered for the 300 Ultra Mag and thinking that the bolt face dia is right ,the mag box IS LONG enuf a guy could just screw off the barrel and get one chambered for the 6.5 SAUM. Into the cool hot sh*t for less than $1200. Magnum Man
[Linked Image]

Just picked up my 30-06 Long Range tonight. The stock is in fact aluminum bedded and the barrel is fully free floated. First thing I did was swap the trigger for a Rifle Basix 8oz-24oz model. The base I choose sits my 50mm scope a little high with low rings, so I might add a cheek pad of some sort.

Overall, I'm a happy camper.
Posted By: 201k Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/12/14
What type of recoil pad is on this stock.
Thanks
[Linked Image]

Just picked up my 30-06 Long Range tonight. The stock is in fact aluminum bedded and the barrel is fully free floated. First thing I did was swap the trigger for a Rifle Basix 8oz-24oz model. The base I choose sits my 50mm scope a little high with low rings, so I might add a cheek pad of some sort.

Congrats on your rifle, that looks pretty sweet. Who'da thought Rem would ever do a varmint weight 30-06.
that rifle ought to be a shooter.
[Linked Image]

What base did you go with?
Originally Posted by 201k
What type of recoil pad is on this stock.
Thanks

Looks like a 1" Decelerator.
Originally Posted by BlindMouse2of3
[Linked Image]

What base did you go with?

One from a company called Xtreme Hardcore. Honestly the dumbest name I've come across, but it's 20 moa with a level built into the back.
Hows the stock fit? Usual hit or miss with B&Cs I assume...
My buddy just picked one up today from Cabelas in 7 mag, and the stock fit looked be very nice. As an added bonus, the barrel was centered perfectly in the channel.

It's a WHOLE lot of gun for $650.

Dave
Do you have the part number for the long range 30-06? I went to my local cabelas, and they were trying to sell me regular 30-06.

Thanks
Originally Posted by Wondermutt
Do you have the part number for the long range 30-06? I went to my local cabelas, and they were trying to sell me regular 30-06.

Thanks

Sweet. Thanks. Does your rifle have the J-lock?
Originally Posted by Wondermutt

Sweet. Thanks. Does your rifle have the J-lock?

Negative
Any range reports yet? I won't have mine for a few more days.
range reports??
Originally Posted by roninflag
range reports??

Mines under 3 feet of snow, so it'll be awhile before I get to shoot.
tackdriver22250 - have one of these on order w/my LGS. He could not get a delivery date from Remington. How long did it take for you to actually have the rifle in your hands after you ordered it?
Homesteader
Originally Posted by Homesteader
tackdriver22250 - have one of these on order w/my LGS. He could not get a delivery date from Remington. How long did it take for you to actually have the rifle in your hands after you ordered it?
Homesteader

I ordered mine straight from BudsGunShop online when I knew they were in stock and sent it to my local FFL. I had it in about a week.
I pick mine up in the morning. My local shop ordered it from there dealer. Took 10 days going that route but I was at work for 8 of it.
I haven't seen the blued model on buds must have over looked it or out of stock I would like to find one in 7mm
I found one I may be thinking about something else but do they make this in stainless I may be thinking about something else
lawd, i just have to lead yall to water:

7mm Mag Linky

Aught Six Linky

yall dont be too upset when you find out they handle like a lead 2x4, cause I expect they'll shoot pretty well.
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
do they make this in stainless

no
Ya I did find it but thanks for the link. I'm just waiting to see range reviews
my crystal ball says that range reviews will be just like every other heavy barrel remington: great shooters, with a few lemons here and there.
Anyone know if weight is pretty close to advertised 8.75?
Posted By: fjlee Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/22/14

My everyday go-to Rem. 700 wooden ADL in 30-06, with 22 inch barrel, weighs 9 pounds 6 ounces, with scope, sling, and 3 cartridges.

My wife and I recently did a touchy-feely on the SPS LR in 25-06. We both agreed that the SPS, no scope, etc.......weighed more than my /06.

With the 26 inch barrel, this 25-06 SPS felt distinctly muzzle heavy. It was a good solid feel.

Since both of us prefer rifles with some "heft"......we felt attracted to this SPS. Maybe prefer it with a 24 inch barrel?? Not sure. We'd like to handle one that had a scope installed.

For the price, we think this is an outstanding deal. Especially in 30-06.

FjLee Denver CO

As mine is pictured it weighed 11 lbs even on my bathroom scale. Scope is 21.9 oz, not sure the weight of the aluminum base or the Warne 30mm low rings.
I wouldn't mind to see some more pictures of the gun if you get time to snap a few. Is this blued just like the coating on the sps other models?
Posted By: fjlee Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/22/14

As mine is pictured it weighed 11 lbs even on my bathroom scale. Scope is 21.9 oz, not sure the weight of the aluminum base or the Warne 30mm low rings.

TACKDRIVER........I'd love to see the photo of your rifle, but nothing is showing here at my end. I suspect the problem is with me and/or my settings.

Any advice on what it is that I need to do to make your rifle photo visible to me? Be gentle, I'm not a computer person.....

Thank you.

FjLee Denver CO
Originally Posted by fjlee

TACKDRIVER........I'd love to see the photo of your rifle, but nothing is showing here at my end. I suspect the problem is with me and/or my settings.

Any advice on what it is that I need to do to make your rifle photo visible to me? Be gentle, I'm not a computer person.....

Thank you.

FjLee Denver CO

Scroll up
Posted By: fjlee Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/23/14
Originally Posted by fjlee

Thank you.

FjLee Denver CO

Scroll up

TACKDRIVER.......
Scroll up??? Well, I know what "scroll up" means...... But I should "scroll up" to where? I have no prob. seeing your post #8609478....but judging by the wording of your post, there should be a photo of your rifle included in your post. My problem is that I see no photo. Due to my computer ineptness, I assume that I am doing something wrong, like having a wrong "setting".

Anyone help us out here?

Thanks, folks......

FjLee Denver CO
Posted By: timl Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/23/14
Go back a couple pages...you'll see it.
I think he has found the post it is just not showing the pic
Posted By: fjlee Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/23/14
I think he has found the post it is just not showing the pic

I found the photo of TACKDRIVERS new rifle!!! Tnx all for your patience.

TACKDRIVER......your new rifle looks just like the one my wife and I handled.

Congrats!! Whew!!! I love that bad boy! I just have a hunch it's gonna shoot great.

I sure hope you can keep all of us informed as to how it all works out.

Good luck to you.

FjLee Denver CO
Ya we need a update with pics
I picked mine up right before the baby came home sick from daycare so my time with it has been short but excellent fit and finish. Barrel is centered in channel. I could see bedding the recoil lug a good idea. The channel is very large. I don't have a scale worth a damn but the rifle feels good in hand. No idea when I get to shoot or play with mine again but if I can take pictures today I will. If this rifle shoots as good as it looks then it'll get a duracoat finish in the future. It has the same finish as my vtr and if I don't keep it clean and oiled it'll rust over night. Bolt feels cheap and rough as any new 700 with that finish but functions well enogh. My action screws couldn't of had more then 20 inch pounds on them when I got it. So I suggest pull it out of stock oil and properly torque it before shooting. That's all that comes to mind but I haven't had a nights sleep in 3 days so I might be missing something.
I understand if you get a chance show us some pics of it. I thought the same thing about coating it if I got one. Question what did you torque your to?
No pics yet. I do 40 in lb's on my action screws although I'm sure with the aluminum block you could do more. I'll defer a proper torque value to someone more in the know.
I do know that it's generous for longer bullets. I had a hornady 165 sst on the bench measured 3.400 coal with the lands pushing the bullet in. Hornady book give coal at 3.210. Much nicer then my vtr which won't let me get book length out of a 53 gr vmax.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 02/24/14
What is the barrel diameter at the muzzle on the new LR? I don't need one but am interested in a 7 mag.
.820 at the muzzle on mine .30-06 not that it matters.
Because I had a leupy 1 piece base and medium rings on the shelf I mounted a 4-16x44 AO air rifle scope mainly for the sake of seeing what would fit and for pics. So now that everyone in the house is sic here are a few low res terrible iphone pics until I can get the camera out and take a few decent picture. With a 21ish oz scope the balance point is about an inch forward of the recoil lug with no rounds in rifle. Didn't care enough to load it to see what shift difference it made.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looks good I can't wait to see some range reviews with this gun
Well yesterday was the day from hell. With a massive head cold and excessive sinus pressure I decided to go shoot my -06. temp was 10 degrees, wind was mild. 100 yard zero in 3 shots this rifle shoots like a dream. didn't have the focus to shoot for groups but did some shooting at the 330 yard steel and it was great. it'll be next month until I can take it out proper as I work rotation but I look forward to seeing what it can really do. oh and on the way home the alternator in the car died, and I got food poisoning from lunch. But hey it was fun at the range. so in conclusion I'm pretty happy with mine so far. Now I just got to scope it. Thinking a SS fixed 12x or a viper hs 6-24 can be had for a great price at cameraland right now. if I can come up with the extra cash a vx-6 3-18 would be damn nice.
Hate to here the problems glad you are liking the gun so far
Got the camera out today and took a few pictures. For size comparison here is my 700 bdl .30-06 aka �cheap bastard� she'll do 1/2� groups at 200 all day long.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If all goes well on Sunday Tiny will get a nightforce 20 moa rail, rings, and a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 mil dot scope.
It is a good looking gun
There is a 30-06 and a 7MM on Gunbroker now and it is a very good looking rifle! Look forward to seeing how it shoots.
Anyone else got to try one
Anyone been shooting there long range?
Got the camera out today and took a few pictures. For size comparison here is my 700 bdl .30-06 aka �cheap bastard� she'll do 1/2� groups at 200 all day long.

A consistent 0.25 MOA shooter? Am I reading that right?
Gotta love the internet�

John
Originally Posted by mathman

Didn't you know that all "internet" guns shoot 0.25 or less - "all day long"?

It is a requirement for posting, although occasionally with the caveat - "as long as I do my part".

drover
In that rifle 7RM OR 300Win would make more sense to me...
If we couldn't say "all day", there wouldn't be anything to say about how our rifles shoot. I'm gonna defend the practice, at least in terms of internet forums. except I'm really pleased when I have one that will do 1 MOA "all day".

Topcat: the 30-06 can do some work at long range with a 190 SMK or 208 a-max. the 7 rem mag with a 162 is gonna outdo the .30's
Sorry for my being out of the loop here. By 1/2" groups at 200 I do indeed mean .25 Moa. By all day long I guess I should restate that as for as many rounds as I choose to put through it. I will flat out tell you I don't have another rifle that shoots as good as it does but I only shoot 1 at a time. And anyone is more then welcome to come up here and shoot it. Just drop me a pm. I do realize that for someone like myself to have a straight shooting rifle that didn't cost an arm and leg is uncool but that's just the way it is. Or if I missed the mark and it's just the all day long part, well it's just a phrase as I've never had a range trip last more then 6 hours.
Anyone seen anymore of these I haven't been able to run across one
I bought a stainless version at Sportsmans Warehouse in MS about 4 months ago.
7mm rem mag.
Put a SWFA 10x Milquad on it sitting in Burris Signature Zee rings.
Got the factory trigger down to 1.75 pounds.
Rifle will only shoot Hornady Superformance 154 grain into 1.75 inch or so 3 shot at a hundred yards BUT will do .5 inch 3 shot with Federal blue box 150 grain.
This off a solid bench with front and rear sandbags made from old blue jeans legs.
Barrel fully free floated back to action from factory.
Killed a 9 point buck at 125 yards and doe at 250 yards with it so far this year.
Like the rifle other than dismall performance with the Hornady load.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 12/07/14
I tried to get one from Cabelas when they had them on sale earlier this year, but there weren't any 7 mags available anywhere. Seems like a decent package. Ended up finding an older BDL in 300 WM that shoots well. I would still like to get one of these in 7 RM to play with though.

bcraig,
If you are not a reloader, try finding some ammo with the Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip. I've never had a problem getting those two bullets to shoot.
Thanks,I am going to try a box of the Federal Premiums 150 grain ballistic tip .

Craig
When did stainless come out
Originally Posted by woofer

W

Why would Remington offer a 280 when they already offer it in the 7mm REMINGTON Mag?

No flies on a 280.
I dont know when the stainless came out .
I saw the rifle at Sportsmans Warehouse and bought it.
I contacted Remington asking why it wasn,t listed on the site and they Sent me an e mail telling me it was a Special Limited Run and that is why they weren,t listed on the Remington site.

You said that was at a sportsman's guide store?
[bleep], im waiting for my new cabelas credit card to come in, then ithink i;ll take a drive, I never knew about these and ofcourse i lost my old one, nothing like racking up the points at that place :-D
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Remember the SPS Long Range? - 12/08/14
Originally Posted by acooper1983
[bleep], im waiting for my new cabelas credit card to come in, then ithink i;ll take a drive, I never knew about these and ofcourse i lost my old one, nothing like racking up the points at that place :-D

I hear you on the points. Just cashed in $1000 worth on some Euro HD 10x42 binos. I'd call whereever you plan to go to see if they have them in stock. Guy at my Cabelas store couldn't find one 7mag in the country a few months ago....
I don't know why the 7 mag has been hard to get I have seen the 30-06 available
Originally Posted by mathman

Only when he "does his part".
Anybody seen em in stock lately???
I saw one on the shelf at Cabelas Dundee location on Thursday. Didn't notice the caliber though.
© 24hourcampfire