Home
Apart from noise reduction and recoil reduction, can a suppressor increase accuracy? How does it affect pressure? Does any of you guys use suppressors on your long range guns?

Thanks

Pieter
I use a suppressor on almost all of my centerfire rifles for both hunting and shooting. Also for rimfire. You mentioned the two biggest benefits, add being able to spot you shots through your scope.

When I first started shooting suppressed I did all kinds of tests for accuracy, velocity and POI shift with and without it attached. Then I forgot all about the results because I never shoot unsuppressed if I have the ability.

If you have the means, buy the two or three suppressors you'll need to cover all of your shooting, all at one time. Do the paperwork and forget about it while you're waiting. When all the paperwork clears, you're good to go and you only had to go through the wait time once.

Bob
I have not noticed any effect on pressure of loads. I wouldn't expect to as it is way less gas restrictive than the barrel. My primary centerfire suppressor is a .30 caliber can that I use on .243, .260 and .30 caliber. The exit hole is about .325 if I remember correctly.

At long range competitions that I go to, I'd guess that 70% use suppressors.

Bob
I also insist on hunting and shooting with suppressors on everything I can reasonable attach them too. All my vehicles have mufflers also!

A suppressor has no effect on peak muzzle pressure or the pressure curve while the bullet is in the bore. On a bolt action rifle the rifle has "no idea" whether it has a suppressor attached to the muzzle or not in regards to pressure or function.

On a gas operated or recoil operated gun there are challenges related to a relatively low, but residual pressure that is held in the suppressor and bore for a very short time after the bullet exits the muzzle of the barrel.

That pressure while exiting at the decelerated rate out the front of the suppressor also releases back through the breech as soon as the chamber is "uncorked" by the action opening. That flushing of gas down the bore in semis creates slightly accelerated bolt speeds and always a filthy soot on everything in the action.

Accuracy/precison; there is not always and affect but I have seen increased precision in some cases. I have also seen negatively affected rifles but I believe they where related to mount systems. I like direct connect thread-on exclusively. I have no need for QD.

I can't think of a big enough reason NOT to use a suppressor ... other than the red tape. the red tape is what keeps me from investing in one.
Haven't had my older bolt guns threaded but the last four built all sport cans. My AR'S are suppressor ready. The only draw back is cans on gas guns is the extra soot that gets everywhere including the magazine. IMO, don't waste the paperwork and money on .223 suppressors go with detachable .308 or .338 cans. the .308 cans work on 30 cal down to 17 cal. My .338 Norma was greatly tamed by being suppressed, didn't hurt accuracy either.
the .308 cans work on 30 cal down to 17 cal.

What brands are you guys using?
Thanks for the info guys. I guess the fact that we do cull every now and then, I can only benefit from it. I am thinking of getting a reflex suppressor that a local company manufactures. I will try and get it next week and will post pictures as soon as I can.

Pieter
Originally Posted by SU35

I use a ThunderBeast 30P1 on nearly everything I own. Only reason I don't in some rifles is the barrels are too small to thread 5/8-24.
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Originally Posted by SU35

I use a ThunderBeast 30P1 on nearly everything I own. Only reason I don't in some rifles is the barrels are too small to thread 5/8-24.

I have a couple barrels like that too. They are threaded 1/2-28 and I use a thread adapter from the manufacturer. Works fine.

Bob
Thunder Beast for precision. You'll be spoiled. I'd never fire an unsuppressed round again if I could fire them all suppressed.
I just picked up my 30p1 Tues. Fired a few rounds of Fac Fed .308 and also tried on my 22-250 with 52 grain bergers at about 3500. The sound reduction was way more than expected. No hearing protection required. Like shooting a hot .22 rimfire.
Im thinking of getting a second one. I took a video. Ill try and post it. Of course the video seems a bit quieter than I remember but you get the idea.
Still haven't figured out how to put a video here.
In .30 cal I run a Gemtech Sandstorm. I don't notice any accuracy changes to speak of. What I do notice is change in point of impact.

I have used a Knights Armament .30 can on issued SR25 rifles quite a bit. Same thing, POA/POI changes, but no real difference in group sizes.
As soon as this dam wind dies here im heading back to the range.
I did notice the poi change also. I want to know if mine changes every time it comes off and back on again.
A suppressor increases "shootability" of the rifle.

In an demonstration I put on at a hunting fair held on a range I had about 70 hunters and huntresses shoot a .308 Rifle of sandbags both with and w/o a suppressor.

Across the lot - all shot tighter groups with the suppressor.

Many commented about how much tamer even such a mild cartridge like a .308 Win is suppressed.

All wanted to get a suppressor later.
btt
I have no use for one.

Suppressors increase weight, do absolutely nothing for recoil reduction as compared to a brake, and cost a fortune.

Worthless.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I have no use for fake titties....

Fake titties increase weight, do absolutely nothing for bytching reduction as compared to real titties, and cost a fortune.

Worthless.

Kinda the same thing..... but somehow I recon your feelings are to the contrary.

My trust will be ready tomorrow...

To be fair I should say they certainly are fun especially on subsonic rounds where they are really quiet. A 300 Blackout bolt action is super cool with it but that one only has a 16" barrel. There is a time and a place for them but on my longer barreled hunting rifles they just are not worth the extra length.

Originally Posted by m77
Apart from noise reduction and recoil reduction, can a suppressor increase accuracy? How does it affect pressure? Does any of you guys use suppressors on your long range guns?

Thanks

Pieter

No increase I accuracy. More often than not they could open up your groups slightly. I'm certain there is always exceptions where the extra mass can really help accuracy. They should have no effect on pressure. To cut sound reaching the animal at long range you can achieve the same effect with a side discharge brake. Most sound is diverted sideways and from the games perspective the sound seems a lot less and from all around. Using a brake we frequently get a lot more follow up shots where before they would bolt at the shot. Even at 100 yards the shot is a lot quieter at the target than without a brake. Suppressors do work better but my long range guns frequently are running a 30" barrel. It just makes them toooooo long.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I can't think of a big enough reason NOT to use a suppressor ... other than the red tape. the red tape is what keeps me from investing in one.

Those that don't own a suppressor are the ones that b1tch about the "red tape".

Just sent off for another stamp ....... AAC M4-2000.
Those that don't own a suppressor are the ones that b1tch about the "red tape".

Or they don't want the added weight. Or they can't afford it and other things they want. Or....
I have no use for one.

Suppressors increase weight, do absolutely nothing for recoil reduction as compared to a brake, and cost a fortune.

Worthless.

No first hand experience, huh?

Best for you to not educate yourself on the fact that you can use a brake with the several suppressor QD mounting options available.

Originally Posted By: rcamuglia
I have no use for one.

Worthless.

No first hand experience, huh?

Best for you to not educate yourself on the fact that you can use a brake with the several suppressor QD mounting options available.

Different statements. Check his again.
Huh??
You posted a brake and be ADDED. That's different than what he posted. He posted the can does not reduce recoil like a brake.
I've shot rifles with cans. The only advantage is that they are quiet. I would still wear plugs though.

Compared to a Score High Brake, cans on the same rifle chambering have more recoil without a doubt. Their added weight may reduce recoil if that matters.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Fake titties increase weight, do absolutely nothing for bytching reduction as compared to real titties, and cost a fortune.

Worthless.

Kinda the same thing..... but somehow I recon your feelings are to the contrary.

Worthless.

I like all titties including the fake.

My titty preference hierarchy:

1. Huge, firm, REAL titties. The newer the better
2. Regular issue REAL titties
3. Small REAL titties
4. Huge, soft FAKE titties
5. FAKE titties

Don't tell my girlfriend. grin
I currently own 5 cans and have three more in the works (guess I own them, but they're in NFA jail at the moment). Brakes are for cars. Buy a suppressor and enjoy recoil reduction and retain your hearing.
I've shot rifles with cans. The only advantage is that they are quiet. I would still wear plugs though.

Compared to a Score High Brake, cans on the same rifle chambering have more recoil without a doubt. Their added weight may reduce recoil if that matters.

Good grief. Yes, the sole purpose of a suppressor is to suppress muzzle noise and the best ones do this with only 95% efficiency wink

Science have yet to defeat nature's physics. Meaning, you will still hear the sonic (1050 fps+) boom/crack of the bullet.

P.S. I could offer my services if not for the hostility.

I currently own 5 cans and have three more in the works (guess I own them, but they're in NFA jail at the moment). Brakes are for cars. Buy a suppressor and enjoy recoil reduction and retain your hearing.

I like suppressors ...... but EIGHT?? Hmmm?

1x 338cal precision can
1x 308cal precision can
1x 5.56 dedicated SBR can
1x 45cal can
1x 9mm can
3x rimfire cans
What is required and how much to budget for one 30 caliber, 1 rimfire (mid-range cost) and the paperwork?
My .30 cal can ran me 650, my 5.56 can ran me 550. Two tax stamps 400......saving my hearing. PRICELESS!!!! I use Silencertech suppressors.

It's nice go take my kids to the range and have them use one. Especially with new shooters, it reduces their "flinch" instinct.

I will save up and buy a few more. Most of my rifles are threaded now.

There is some added weight, yes, but the benefits outweigh the added 14oz.
Originally Posted by RDW
What is required and how much to budget for one 30 caliber, 1 rimfire (mid-range cost) and the paperwork?

Two grand will buy high quality cans and take care of your tax stamp and trust paperwork.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by RDW

Two grand will buy high quality cans and take care of your tax stamp and trust paperwork.

My Trust, stamp, and SAS Arbiter can was $1250 all said and done. If I'd have gone with a cheaper can, I could have done it for a grand.
Yep, a guy can sure get it done for cheaper than $2000 for two cans, but I figure that's a good number to budget for, and go from there.

For instance, a quick look at Silencer Shop shows a person could spend as little as $740 for a 30 cal can and 22 can combined, but that may or may not get the sound suppression and quality one is looking to purchase.

A Thunderbeast 30-P1, Silencerco Sparrow, and paperwork will be right around two grand when all is said and done, depending much on how much one wants to spend on a trust.

Worthless.

If you like hunting coyotes, you will be asking yourself why you didn't do this sooner...I will never hunt coyotes again without a suppressor.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
A Thunderbeast 30-P1, Silencerco Sparrow, and paperwork will be right around two grand when all is said and done, depending much on how much one wants to spend on a trust.

These were my first two cans, and I wouldn't change a thing, even now 3 years later.
how does one go about setting up a trust?
Best bet is to find an attorney in your state that specializes in NFA Trusts. If you're on Facebook, there are some groups that focus on NFA stuff. There are also a couple of message boards that focus on NFA items. Plus, Google will probably turn something up.
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

Curious what the "Hmmm?" was supposed to mean/infer?
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Shoot me a PM and I'll get you in touch with the Colorado lawyer who set-up my NFA trust. It took less than 10 minutes and $300.... I had my trust the next day.
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE

Curious what the "Hmmm?" was supposed to mean/infer?

Thinking maybe I need another (or two).
The rimfire cans are by far the most fun. I was shooting some standard velocity ammo through my M&P 22 with a Silencerco Sparrow this weekend, and when running that can wet, it's as quiet or quieter than a pellet gun.
Agree. My first suppressor was the Sparrow. It is still the suppressor I use the most. My only complaint with the Sparrow is the first round pop which can eliminated my running wet. I typically will use water based wire pulling gel or white lithium grease in a spray can. My current favorite setup is a ruger 22/45 Lite with the Sparrow.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Call Dakota Silencer and ask them to do it when you place your order.

Travis
There is no such thing as a 'NFA trust'.

A standard living revocable trust is so simple to construct that most 'Fire' members could do it themselves. But then again, maybe not.
I typically throw money at my problems.

Travis
I could be your problem.
Originally Posted by deflave
I typically throw money at my problems.

Travis

"Problems"?.... is that what they call Male Exotic Dancers in MT?

In regards to the trust..... I'll pay a couple hundred bucks to a professional every time.... especially when they have E&O insurance and can get it done in 1/3rd the time/effort it would take me.

well I talked to Dakota Silencers, everything is ready to act, I'm just now deciding on what supressors to get.

really leaning towards the varmint 2.0 in .30 cal
and the Lima by Lane.

does anyone have any experience with these or a different recommendation?
I am fortunate enough to have some suppressors

I will never hunt without one moving forward. Love the noise reduction
any advice to a newbie?

I talked with the guy from daksilencer and I must admit he sounded more like a slick salesman than anything. looking for hard core info, this is a big investment!
© 24hourcampfire